Need advice with the new super sensitive circuit breakers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
We built a house about 8 years ago. By code they put in the new style circuit breakers which are super sensitive and can pop easily. At first we had several breakers that would pop several times a month. That has stopped. However, our refrigerator pops its breaker several times a year and the breaker won't reset. I just grab an extension cord and plug it into a different outlet and it runs fine. But that means I can't level my refrigerator as I may need to roll it out to get access to the plug. After a few months I switch it back because I don't like the extension cord on the floor.

Today, the breaker for the big TV and the kitchen lights popped. As usual, it won't reset. Is there a way to get these things to reset faster, or do I need to wait 2 or 3 days for the damn thing to settle down? It's not windy today, so that's not the issue.

If you unplug the TV, will it reset? If removing the load doesn't allow a reset, then you have one of two problems: bad batch of breakers, or a grounding problem.

What brand and model number breakers do you have? Your builder may have pinched some pennies.

If it's a grounding problem, you need a professional to trace it down.

In 8 years, this is the first time the TV breaker has popped. The breaker for the garage door was a big problem when we moved in, but with time it settled down and hasn't popped in years. The load on the circuit is irrelevant. I have had zero load on the refrigerator breaker and it won't reset. A few days later it resets and works fine.

I have researched this issue on electrician websites and this is a known problem with the new style breakers. They just pop, especially when they are new. Or if it's windy - sometimes. They are extremely sensitive to fluctuations in the power lines and that's why they pop. I'm just wondering if anyone knows a way to get them to reset faster.

AFCI breakers are pretty much required by NEC. It's too bad they are so annoying, because they are intended to prevent fires and save lives.

My ham radio friends report AFCI breakers are very oversensitive to ordinary radio transmissions.

Several models of AFCI breakers have been recalled for that reason. What brand and model are yours? Would be worth looking in to warranty replacement.

I've installed many "new style" breakers and this does not happen. If weather conditions effect it, you are likely looking at a grounding issue.

If the breakers are out of warranty, get them replaced with higher quality AFCI breakers.

(Disclosure: I worked as a consultant to the company who patented early arc-fault detectors.)

Photos

Attachments

• IMG_20240213_132144362_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240213_132144362_HDR.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240213_132152011.jpg
    IMG_20240213_132152011.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Square D AFCI's plug into the bus bar to pick up neutral. But there's an extra screw terminal to pick up the circuit neutral to compare. It looks for fault patterns between the neutrals and ground.

If the installer missed that extra neutral screw, or it's not tight, it'll be too sensitive. If they skipped the code that requires unique neutral for each circuit back to the panel, this may also cause the trips.

My home is now 8 years old, all of the breakers are Square D AFCI. When we purchased new washer and dryer the washer would trip the breaker every load washed.
Spent the money on an electrician. He traced it to the breaker itself. We tried installing a GFI outlet, with no luck. I finally just yanked that breaker and replaced it with a non AFCI.
No issues since.
8 years and now I am having several different breakers go off at any time of the day or night for no reason.
I have now been told that the AFCI breakers wear out and need replaced every 8 to 10 years. I've not verified that, but......RRRRR that's expensive if so!

Does 2016 seem about right for the year your house was built? (see date code on breaker).

Unfortunately, those are now considered "old". You need to replace them. If the fridge is the only thing on the circuit, put a non-AFCI breaker in there.

Back