Need a covering for my particle board workbench

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would it be better to mount the vise through something like this, or cut around it? I would imagine it's pretty easy to cut.
Speaking only for myself, if I can't drill to mount the vise through, that's a deal breaker.

One more intermediate-priced option: at 36x48" self-healing mat, which will run about $75 on Amazon. It would leave about a foot on each side uncovered, which is probably not an issue, since I mostly use the two edges for piling crap rather than actually working.
That might even be an advantage someday, if you ever find yourself needing to pin or nail something to the bench; you wouldn't have to punch through the main surface.

Last edited:
Follow-up

I ended up purchasing this 3'x4' cutting mat from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08S33JR98/

It came in a rather large box....
mat_box.jpeg

I was very happy to discover that the mat had no smell out of the box (Amazon reviews had mentioned that this particular one is mostly odorless which contributed to my choosing it). I cut it to size with a hacksaw blade...
mat_cut.jpeg

And finally I deployed it on the bench:
mat_finished.jpeg

I still have more tidying up to do, but this gets me started.

I am very happy with this outcome. All the surface where I actually work is covered with self-healing mat, nice and roomy. The mat is reversible so if I ever really mess up the top side I can flip it.

1714696886542.png

A great solution!

I would still tack hardboard on top of the particle board surface, though. As others have noted from their benches, I use hardboard on all my benchtops and worktables. Lasts for years and easy to rip off if you use brads to tack it on. Using the cutting mat on top of the hardboard gives you the best of both worlds.

If transporting/cutting the single piece of hardboard is the issue, PM me, we are both in NNJ - would be happy to cut a piece to size, throw it in the back of my pickup and drop it off to you when I happen to be running around. I have a bunch of 4x8 sheets in my workshop and I have a panel cutting station setup in my shop, so cutting it to size would literally take 5 minutes.

Thanks, that is a very generous offer. For now I think I'm OK as is; if I find that I want that I'll consider getting in touch.

Where are you located exactly? I'm in Randolph.

Thanks, that is a very generous offer. For now I think I'm OK as is; if I find that I want that I'll consider getting in touch.

Where are you located exactly? I'm in Randolph.

No worries, let me know, happy to help out!

I am in Jersey City, but I have a house in PA, so I drive down I-80 twice a week right past Randolph, so, easy day if you need anything!

Back