NARAM 56 ANNOUNCEMENT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JumpJet

Reaction score
NARAM 56 Announcement
2014 NAR Rocketry Festival and National Contest

NARAM 56 will be held July 26 to August 1 2014 in Pueblo Colorado. The event will be graciously hosted by Southern Colorado Rocketeers at their Hudson Ranch site. The event will include the annual National Association of Rocketry Annual Meet, a sport flying range for model and high power rockets, an opportunity for Level 1, 2, and 3 HPR certifications, and many other events that will make this the rocketry event not to miss. Ryan Coleman will be the NARAM Contest Director and he has planned a contest list that has something for everyone.

The NARAM contest events are:
Monday July 28, 2014
• Set Altitude (160 meters)*
• C Boost Glider Duration (multiround)**
Tuesday July 29, 2014
• B Payload Altitude
• B Streamer Duration
Wednesday July 30, 2014
• Bx5 Cluster Altitude
• C Helicopter Duration (multiround)**
Thursday July 31, 2014
• D Superroc Altitude
• FAI A Parachute Duration (multiround)**
Friday August 1, 2014
• Giant Sport Scale
• Concept Scale
All week
• Research and Development

*all altitude events tracked to ejection by theodolite
**flyoffs for a tie will be at the time of range close; there will be a 30 minute flight window and there is no duration max; it will be an unlimited timing round

The contest organizers are also planning fun contest events like a judged classic model contest, quadrathon to be held over the July 26-27 weekend and HPR Contest Events run from the sport range during the week. In addition, the ULA/Ball Aerospace Intern rockets will be launched on July 26. The planning has just begun, so stay tuned for more updates and our webpage launch.

Bx5 Cluster Altitude

C Helicopter Duration (multiround)

D Superroc Altitude

Giant Sport Scale

Concept Scale

*** All sound fun, is Giant Sports Scale HPR ? What is Concept Scale ?

Kenny

Within driving range for Californians - the Doctor is IN!!!

Multiround C BG oh yeah! Time to get a couple of spektrum RC nanobricks, bag up some wings and start handlaunch practice.

On the sport Launch Range you can fly ANY thing you want, as big as you want, you just cant go past the waiver whick is around 10K or 12K. I can't remember what we had at NSL 2013, but it should be the same.

John Boren

On the sport Launch Range you can fly ANY thing you want, as big as you want, you just cant go past the waiver whick is around 10K or 12K. I can't remember what we had at NSL 2013, but it should be the same.

John Boren

Can TRA members launch research motors? TRA changed the safety code for NAR members to launch at LDRS during Research days. It would be only fair for NAR to change their rules to accommodate TRA Research.

Mark

Bx5 Cluster Altitude

C Helicopter Duration (multiround)

D Superroc Altitude

Giant Sport Scale

Concept Scale

*** All sound fun, is Giant Sports Scale HPR ? What is Concept Scale ?

Kenny

Giant Sport Scale is just Sport Scale (judged from 1m away for similarity of outline) with minimum dimensional requirements; that is, a minimum of 10 cm (~4") diameter or 100cm length (~40"). The maximum permitted impulse for all contest events remains at 160N-s per motor, 320N-s total, and a maximum of 125g of total propellant. The combined certified motor list on the NAR website specifically lists which motors are "contest certified." Concept Scale is Sport Scale for rockets that were never flown, but seriously proposed (e.g. X-20 Dynasoar) or for rockets and spacecraft from works of Science Fiction (e.g. NCC-1701 Enterprise.)

Very nice to see a greater percentage of altitude events.
Now's your chance. The launch site is 5477 feet ASL and that helps. Not for setting duration records although the thermals there can be very strong, so if you're lucky enough to hit one of them...

Last edited:
Hey Brian!
I don't remember seeing Giant Sport Scale in the Pink Book. Am I missing something?
By the way, thanks again for all the help at NARAM. If I can get to Colorado next year Mark and I would like to compete as a team.

Hey Brian!
I don't remember seeing Giant Sport Scale in the Pink Book. Am I missing something?
By the way, thanks again for all the help at NARAM. If I can get to Colorado next year Mark and I would like to compete as a team.

53 SPORT SCALE COMPETITION
53.1 Scope
Sport Scale Competition comprises three events open to any model rocket that closely resembles an existing or historical guided missile, rocket vehicle, or space vehicle, that has flown under rocket power. The purpose of this competition is to produce a flying replica of a real rocket vehicle that exhibits maximum craftsmanship in construction, finish, and flight performance. Sport Scale Competition differs from Scale Competition (Rule 50) in that the dimensions of the model are not directly measured.
53.2 Classes
The following classes of Sport Scale shall exist:
53.2.1 Sport Scale
Any size model may be entered.
53.2.2 Giant Sport Scale
The model must be at least 100 centimeters in overall length or at least 10 centimeters in body diameter. Vehicles with significant outer assemblies or winged vehicles qualify if their length plus wingspan totals at least 100 centimeters or if their girth (as measured once around in a plane perpendicular to the centerline of the model by a length of string around the components not including the fins or wings) totals at least 31.4 centimeters.
53.2.3 Peanut Sport Scale
The model must be no more than 30 centimeters in overall length or no more than 2 centimeters in body diameter. When judging this class, the increased difficulty of building a very small model should be considered.

I realize NARCON 2014 is going to get all the press here for a while because it's coming up soon, but NARAM 56 is a driveable distance for us. I've never been to either (I'm a recent BAR in 2013) - but from what little I've read about past NARAMs it sounds fun. More as a spectator than a participant.....though I think I've read that anyone can fly on their sport range. Hmmmm, sounds like a fun place to go for a Level 1 cert...am I correct?

I realize NARCON 2014 is going to get all the press here for a while because it's coming up soon, but NARAM 56 is a driveable distance for us. I've never been to either (I'm a recent BAR in 2013) - but from what little I've read about past NARAMs it sounds fun. More as a spectator than a participant.....though I think I've read that anyone can fly on their sport range. Hmmmm, sounds like a fun place to go for a Level 1 cert...am I correct?

NARAM is a lot of fun, and the Hudson Ranch site in Pueblo is fabulous. I've attended two NAR events there, including NARAM in 2010 and NSL in 2013 (I'll also be at NARAM 56). It is a PERFECT site for a cert flight.

Here's a link to some photos I took during NSL 2013. Two of my fellow club members did their cert flights there during NSL 2013, so most of the photos are specifically of their prep and flights, but it will still give you a little bit of an idea for how large and open the launch site is.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151468165627321.1073741826.723597320&type=1&l=ee91989d25

Saturday Morning will also be the day for the ULA Student launch where 1500+ spectators show up to see a Multi Stage N-Powered rocket fly that ejects experimental payloads.

https://www.ulalaunch.com/site/pages/Intern_RocketLaunch.shtml

We fly throughout the day and only stop a few times for the ULA rockets to fly. By 1:00 ULA is done and vast majority of the spectators leave.

John Boren

I have been wondering what the waiver will be because I am working on a 7.5" dia rocket that will fly on a M1297 and it may get to 8500' if it gets off the Pad...

Keith, I have flown at the Ranch many, many times and 8500 is no problem. Waiver is around 12000 ft. Let's hope Terry Lee brings his trailer. It will help make your flight a snap. The 20ft. rail really helps for a straight flight. Terry is one of the really good guys in the hobby. PM me here for more info if you need it. Bring on that bad boy, The Ranch is good to go! Tim Thomas L3

Tim, Thanks for the info on the waiver. I know that my simulations do go higher than the rocket will go and it sims to 9700' and on my L3 cert flight I lost 1000' from the sim to actual flight. I have been to the ranch twice. the first time I did not fly the second time I helped rack a Jr L1 cert flight that I got the credit for instead of the Jr member and a 2 stage that did not light the sustainer at NSL last year(still working on that problem). in fact they have the up flight shown of my 2 stager on the picture loop on the NARAM website for this year and the JR L1 rocket is shown in sport rocketry mag in the NSL issue.

I may set up my rocket to use the 1/4" buttons instead of the 1/2" because I dont know if a 1/2" rail will be avaiable.

Thanks.

Keith, The Ranch has both 1/4 and 1/2 rails. (10/10 and 15/15 buttons) In addition Terry Lee will most likely will be there with his boat trailer launch pad. (By far the best pad I have ever seen) You can see it on YouTube @ TimThomas Level 3. Also Northern Colorado Rocketry will be helping with equipment, so any needs can and will be taken care of.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken, Terry Lee modified his trailer to include a 1010 rail, in addition to the 1515 he originally had installed. Most awesome launch pad outfitted trailer I've ever seen. Looking forward to using it myself if I can finish my 5.5 Polecat Patriot in time.

Thanks for the information again. I had a laps in memory. I had 1/4" buttons on my two stage and tried to put it on a 1/2" rail last year for its flight and my spacer between the washers on my buttons would not fit the rail so I had to get a 1010 off of another pad. I may go with the 1/2" buttons off my other rocket just because I can even though it is over kill.
3d pic.jpg
rocsim pic.jpg

Maybe I missed it but didn't see an update here or in the announcements section that the NARAM 56 website is up & registration opened on 5/1 & the cost goes up on 6/20. I am so glad it is coming back to Colorado and am planning to go if everything falls into place. Looks like they will have lots of fun events for the sport flyers too. I will leave it to the organizers to elaborate but here is the website:

https://www.naram.org/

Craig

NARAM 56 Announcement
2014 NAR Rocketry Festival and National Contest

NARAM 56 will be held July 26 to August 1 2014 in Pueblo Colorado. The event will be graciously hosted by Southern Colorado Rocketeers at their Hudson Ranch site. The event will include the annual National Association of Rocketry Annual Meet, a sport flying range for model and high power rockets, an opportunity for Level 1, 2, and 3 HPR certifications, and many other events that will make this the rocketry event not to miss. Ryan Coleman will be the NARAM Contest Director and he has planned a contest list that has something for everyone.

The NARAM contest events are:
Monday July 28, 2014
• Set Altitude (160 meters)*
• C Boost Glider Duration (multiround)**
Tuesday July 29, 2014
• B Payload Altitude
• B Streamer Duration
Wednesday July 30, 2014
• Bx5 Cluster Altitude
• C Helicopter Duration (multiround)**
Thursday July 31, 2014
• D Superroc Altitude
• FAI A Parachute Duration (multiround)**
Friday August 1, 2014
• Giant Sport Scale
• Concept Scale
All week
• Research and Development

*all altitude events tracked to ejection by theodolite
**flyoffs for a tie will be at the time of range close; there will be a 30 minute flight window and there is no duration max; it will be an unlimited timing round

The contest organizers are also planning fun contest events like a judged classic model contest, quadrathon to be held over the July 26-27 weekend and HPR Contest Events run from the sport range during the week. In addition, the ULA/Ball Aerospace Intern rockets will be launched on July 26. The planning has just begun, so stay tuned for more updates and our webpage launch.

Early registration ends June 20th. Register by then for a chance at 50% off room rates.

Also, Visit the website at naram.org and check out the latest news:

B Division Travel Grant Award Applications are due Monday (June 16th) by email. We've also just announced that winners will receive free contest registration with all late fees covered (or the registration amount will be refunded if they have already registered). Encourage the future leaders of the NAR to apply today!

We're having a contest to select a dozen of our best models to exhibit at the new rocketry exhibit in the Museum of Flight:
https://naram56.org/index.php/fun-tips/museum-of-flight-display

And the ULA/Ball intern rockets are launching on Saturday!
ULA rockets.jpg

HELP!

The registration page says that I should have received a $10 discount coupon in the E-Rocketeer but although I am a member in good standing, I cannot find a coupon anywhere.

Can anyone help?

HELP!

The registration page says that I should have received a $10 discount coupon in the E-Rocketeer but although I am a member in good standing, I cannot find a coupon anywhere.

Can anyone help?

Read all the words in the e- rocketeer and look for the words regarding a discount code . Do not look for a "coupon". Do not attempt to cut a coupon out of your computer of smartphone display.

Read all the words in the e- rocketeer and look for the words regarding a discount code . Do not look for a "coupon". Do not attempt to cut a coupon out of your computer of smartphone display.

Makes no difference. All I can find is a link to NARAM registration and no reference whatsoever to coupons or discount codes or savings or any other similar synonyms.

I am looking at the #71 April 2014 issue. I have nothing more recent.

Instead of Fred's cryptic reply, here's the actual text from the e-rocketeer:

NARAM registration is open! NAR and the NARAM organizing committee are pleased to announce that a $10 registration discount will be available to eRocketeer readers. Just out "NARAM56" into the coupon field! See you there!

I'm pretty sure Ted meant "put" not "out".

Latest posts

Back