NAR Model Rocketry Code in Every Model Rocket Kit

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm pretty sure almost all the kits I've built already had the code included somewhere in the packaging.I specifically remember the code was the reason myself and some friends years ago had a spat about a rocket one of the guys wanted to send up.The majority of this group took the code as the gospel,followed to a tee.However,one of my buddies had a scratch/kitbash that was definetely overweight,being a cobbled together 5 stage frankenstein.Being 12 years old and curious,i decided to watch this one.We set up at 7a.m. at a ballfield on a drizzly day,and ,in the dug-out,behind the fence,with the pad about 20 ft. into the infield ,my buddy let it rip.I was convinced the black helicopters would be coming for us for defying the code.We recovered 3 stages,nothing more.It's funny that nowadays,people are launching all kinds of stuff that seems like it shouldn't even fly,but they do and for the most part are safely recovered.who woulda thought a spool would fly!

I like the part about no metallic parts being used in a rocket, yet some of the fiberglass components, especiall pointy fins, can be very dangerous. That, and the fact that launching bowling balls is allowed kind of makes the safety code useless.

I like the part about no metallic parts being used in a rocket, yet some of the fiberglass components, especiall pointy fins, can be very dangerous. That, and the fact that launching bowling balls is allowed kind of makes the safety code useless.

Hush up man. I'm still hoping to get "1/8A Cluster Bowling Ball Streamer Duration" as a sanctioned NAR contest.

Hush up man. I'm still hoping to get "1/8A Cluster Bowling Ball Streamer Duration" as a sanctioned NAR contest.

I Sir chalange you to a drag race! I have 236 micromax's on a BT20 to lift 2 16 lb bowling balls. My wife says this takes a pair of big balls. :rotflol::rotflol::rotflol::rotflol::rotflol::rotflol::rotflol:
Mr. Bob

Sorry Al but this is the low power forum. Clearly, your comments need to be relocated to a more appropriate section.
:p

You should pop out to Red Glare/MDRA some time. Walk up to the RSO table with a K550 and they will tell you it might be a wait for the next available low power pad....

I moved the thread as all the leagilties and stuff seemed more a coffee table discussion then what usually is discussed in the LPR forum.
Cheers
Fred

I thought the metal parts rule had to do with what happens in a cato: metal parts will fly further than wood/paper/fiberglass/carbon-fiber parts.

Many model rocket kits include a metal motor retainer, for example. It's common to use metal quick-links, u-bolts, and threaded rods to give altimeter bays strength and hold them together.

Aren't bowling balls made from plastic? :)

Why not? At the very most it'll add a couple pennies to money required to produce a kit which I'm fairly sure the NAR would be glad to cover because it's good publicity.

Much ado about nothing.

IMHO it should not be the NAR code but rather should be all of NFPA 1122 so when people go and do something stupid the law that they broke is right there so there is no saying that I didn't know that.

Since I have been running Sunward, every kit shipped ( not parts or components) has contained a copy of the NAR safety code and a copy of the CAR (Canadian Association of Rocketry) safety code.

I also (try to) provide a website link to both organizations in the instructions.

This is done as a liability issue and good corporate policy.

As a simple note, it doesn't take much space to do so. I also have a copy of each on the Sunward website.

This poll is a just another poll. It would have been better to ask all the manufacturers (some who are still travelling from NARCON) if they do or plan to include the codes in their kits.

When I was in my teens and in rocketry for the first time I pretty much ignored the safety code. It's probably the same for any casual rocketry person who isn't into organized rocketry. It might be a better idea to encourage NAR membeship with a small brochure so that people can become part of a more organized structure. I just don't believe that the safety code if something that a newbie is going to follow, unfortunately.

Actually, the "newbies" are the primary intended audience for the safety codes.

When you're no longer a "newbie," by that time you know most of the safety code. Doesn't mean you always follow them, but at least you feel a little guilty when you don't.

Latest posts

Back