My rocket is too dangerous. Where can I launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes Safety Officers are clueless. At a club(that I attend whenever possible) launch 'unnamed' I brought up a rocket with either a 24/40 or a 29/40-180 WITH the igniter installed per mfgr's instructions. The Officer gave me crap for it and was telling me "That it must installed when the rocket was on the pad'' until another said it was ok without telling him why.
My next trip for inspection w/a hobbyline motor I took the instructions with me "Just in case"
FYI I've been here for awhile now and I still don't know how to load a pic, I just have not taken the time to learn.
It was a PIA to get my avatar up WITH my kids help.

I'm not going to share pictures of the rocket due to potential commercial aspects of what I'm working on. But I have talked with multiple clubs about the project and even have several mentors (one who is another club RSO and another who is level 3) who know extensively the system and helped me along the way, even in the most recent modifications. So it's possible you might hear about what I'm working on from someone. It's not a secret around the clubs. The parts relevant to rocketry are really not very interesting. It's just a plain rocket... with some metal screws holding in the electronics bay.

I'm not going to share pictures of the rocket due to potential commercial aspects of what I'm working on. But I have talked with multiple clubs about the project and even have several mentors (one who is another club RSO and another who is level 3) who know extensively the system and helped me along the way, even in the most recent modifications. So it's possible you might hear about what I'm working on from someone. It's not a secret around the clubs. The parts relevant to rocketry are really not very interesting. It's just a plain rocket... with some metal screws holding in the electronics bay.

This leads me to believe you getting the rocket blocked had zero to do with 3 metal screws, and everything to do with your black ops super secret project.

Which leads me to being totally confused as to why the hell you posted here in the first place, claiming it was all about 3 little screws

those rockets are about 7 pounds. The crowd is far away. Camera lens makes it look closer. Rockets are aimed so that a failure lands away from crowd.
How far away from the crowd? If I'm not blind and I have an idea of the distance 100 meters маx.They are within range of rocket...In any case. And the small problem of 7 pound falling rocket are bolts.
0_15388d_579dab96_L.jpg

P.S.I do not meddle in the rules just my interest and discuss.

Last edited:
Post a photo of the screw showing only the part of the rocket with the screw.
Or is the screw the secret part?

I published several posts back a link to the whole video. I'll bet a million dollars that I do not have that rocket is not more than 100 meters from the crowd :) In fact, your rules on how many meters have to be rocket from the crowd?

Last edited:
I published several posts back a link to the whole video. I'll bet a million dollars that I do not have that rocket is not more than 100 meters from the crowd :) In fact, your rules on how many meters have to be rocket from the crowd?

I'd say J or K motors at most. So, rules say 30M or 61M. https://www.tripoli.org/Portals/1/Documents/Safety Code/SLP - May 2016.pdf Those are six foot tall rails, and the average Human is a little under 6 feet. comparing the apparent size of the spectators and the rails, they are well beyond the min safe distance. You do not need to be out of range of the rocket to be safe.

Thank you, after 5-6 successful starts I noticed that not open the parachute so that I will keep my stricter rules :) Indeed, the likelihood rocket to fall on someone's head is small but increasing with number of people :)
After this flight did not want people in the area of horizontal flight :)Stupid mistake in the design of the boot drive.
[video=youtube;L8ARE-b24u0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ARE-b24u0[/video]

Last edited:
Old thread, but I thought I would post a photo of my latest project.

There are a total of 77 SS screws (79 including rail buttons) plus 6 SS lock-nuts on the exterior of the rocket. It will be flying at a local NAR event two weeks from now. I have absolutely no fear that the RSO will turn me away.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472998594.680442.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472998486.080950.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472998527.645670.jpg

Back