My newest paint...can you guess what it is?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty incredible. Say, what photo hosting service are you using, anyway? ;)

I am using Photobucket. I was using this free service since before I joined TRF and a couple of years ago they decided to stop 3rd party photo hosting, but apparently they've realized how bad a decision that was and now my pics show up again. :)

Good for you Ken..
Cool flight and vid..
It sure is good to see you back at the field again..
Be safe and enjoy..

Teddy

Nice rocket! Great flight!

Wondering about the cloud cover since..........
Part 101.25 Operating limitations for Class 2-High Power Rockets and Class 3-Advanced High Power Rockets specifically states that you must not operate Class 2-High Power Rockets…(a) At any altitude where clouds or obscuring phenomena of more than five-tenths coverage prevails, and (b) At any altitude where the horizontal visibility is less than five miles; (a) means that if more than 50% (5/10ths) of the sky is cloud-covered at a certain altitude, High Power Rocket flights are NOT to be flown to that altitude or above unless the FAA has granted a waiver for this regulation; (b) means that unless the “hole” is ten (10) miles wide (5 miles each direction), flights to that altitude or above cannot be made unless the FAA has granted a waiver for this regulation. The FAA granting a waiver for either of these limitations is not common for our hobby.

Hi Ken;

That is a truly awesome paint job. That much masking makes me think about smoking again. Just kidding, I'd never make it through all of the masking. Really impressive, super clean work, Ken. My hat's off to you sir.

Jim

Nice rocket! Great flight!

Wondering about the cloud cover since..........
Part 101.25 Operating limitations for Class 2-High Power Rockets and Class 3-Advanced High Power Rockets specifically states that you must not operate Class 2-High Power Rockets…(a) At any altitude where clouds or obscuring phenomena of more than five-tenths coverage prevails, and (b) At any altitude where the horizontal visibility is less than five miles; (a) means that if more than 50% (5/10ths) of the sky is cloud-covered at a certain altitude, High Power Rocket flights are NOT to be flown to that altitude or above unless the FAA has granted a waiver for this regulation; (b) means that unless the “hole” is ten (10) miles wide (5 miles each direction), flights to that altitude or above cannot be made unless the FAA has granted a waiver for this regulation. The FAA granting a waiver for either of these limitations is not common for our hobby.
Thanks!!
My rocket may look awesome, but it's not Class 2? ...nowhere near it at 137 N/s and 53g propellant and from what I recall it's not L2/High Power.

"“(b) Class 2High-Power Rocket means an amateur rocket other than a model rocket that is propelled by a motor or motors having a combined total impulse of 40,960 Newton-seconds (9,208 pound-seconds) or less.

Thanks!
What ideas? Are you thinking of the blue and red one or the firey Phoenix?
:D
Also an update that took me a year to be able to write...

Seems my G-Force God Phoenix rocket did its own version of a "firey Phoenix" when I used an old suspect H reload that I got from a vendor leaving the hobby. The reload wasn't assembling correctly and I later determined that the package was opened and the delay parts switched out (for what reason I have no idea). The motor also wouldn't light on the first two times and on the third try it chuffed the entire time and then spit the recovery underneath the melting flaming mess. Ugh.
20221216_144840.jpg

Last edited:
blue and red one
Yes, that's the one most Americans will recognize, as your 'God Phoenix" is from Season Two of Gatachaman, which never made it to the US, except in Anime circles. It's gorgeous, but, with a little work, I think I can replicate the season one Phoenix as a paint scheme with the Wings and Pods as well for an interesting scratch build. Battle of the Planets is widely recognized in the states and even got a second life as "G-Force" later on during the days of Cartoon Network I think...

Also an update that took me a year to be able to write...

Seems my Phoenix rocket did its own version of a "firey Phoenix" when I used an old suspect H reload that I got from a vendor leaving the hobby. The reload wasn't assembling correctly and I later determined that the package was opened and the delay parts switched out (for what reason I have no idea). The motor also wouldn't light on the first two times and on the third try it chuffed the entire time and then spit the recovery underneath the melting flaming mess. Ugh.
View attachment 551313
I had a weird feeling that the rocket would meet its demise on the second flight and was seriously considering just hanging it up for display after the first flight since the paint is so fragile on the nose, but I figured it's a rocket and I didn't want to hang it up after a wimpy flight not worthy of the name "God Phoenix". ;)

Regardless, the top portion is still good and I've actually ordered a new G-Force a few days ago, so she will fly again!

I actually grew up here watching it as G-Force.
Long-time anime fanatic here -- Loved Astroboy, Tobor, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers. Even did my own Star Blazers "movie", which is on youtube someplace. Later, watched Macross, Urusei Yatsura, all of Miyazaki's movies etc. etc., too many to name. We used to get Captain Harlock on Channel 47 in Japanese with English subtitles here in the NYC area.

Long-time anime fanatic here -- Loved Astroboy, Tobor, Speed Racer, Battle of the Planets and Star Blazers. Even did my own Star Blazers "movie", which is on youtube someplace. Later, watched Macross, Urusei Yatsura, all of Miyazaki's movies etc. etc., too many to name. We used to get Captain Harlock on Channel 47 in Japanese with English subtitles here in the NYC area.
NYC too! (70s)

Back