My Long Boring L1 Cert Story

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scsager

Slightly burned-out old guy
Reaction score
Sure, I flew rockets back in the 70’s.
I was in High School back then.

Some 20 years later when my wife discovered Estes kits in the toy section at Walmart, we built and flew a few rockets together. That was in the 90’s. I was pleasantly surprised that my wife liked rocketry. :D

In 2003, my then 7 year old daughter was “bored out of her mind” one summer day. I took her to the park to fly a few rockets that we had left from 10 years before. She loved it. :cool: I took some pictures of her and the rockets…

winner1.jpg
winner2.jpg

I entered those pictures in an EMMR photo contest and won this prize…

pml_explorer01.jpg
2011.jpg

A PML Explorer Kit, which I built and reviewed for EMMR.

Until today, the explorer has flown only a couple of low and slow flights on G motors. The pictures show my daughter Stephanie with the Explorer in 2003 just after it was completed, and in 2011. Steph grew up, the rocket stayed the same. :rolleyes:

In 2010 my other daughter Sabrina, also seven years old at the time, wanted to fly rockets just like her older sister. So we did that.

DSCF9560a.jpg

Then I joined the NAR, and Woosh, the local section. That was a smart decision. Lots of friendly folks in the Woosh club.

Today with the help of club treasurer Mark H. acting as the cert. team, I was able to get the Explorer up nice and high (where it belongs) on an AeroTech H128.

L1a.jpg

The flight looked real good, and of course I heard “Welcome to High Power, get out your checkbook!” from several folks. After the flight the only damage was a small nick in the piston. Not enough to prevent me from flying again.

L1b.jpg

Even the HD video camera I’ve been playing with for the past six months decided to work this time giving me glorious 720p widescreen.

[YOUTUBE]Nwfp7oExENo[/YOUTUBE]

When I got back to the car, I told my wife that I would like to visit the Wildman to pick up a few motors. As we were talking about it, we heard Tim’s voice on the PA system. He announced a special price on the Wildchild kit. What do you think my wife said to me… “We gotta’ get one of those too!” :eyepop: :y: :D :cool:

All-in-all, it was a pretty good day.

1600.jpg

Bong from 1600 Feet.

Last edited:
Congratulations Scott, wish I could have been there yesterday. Looks like it was a bit less rainy than today! See you at MWP9.

That looked like a perfect flight, from the rocket's point of view, at least. We had 2 L1 Cert. flights yesterday at the Tampa TRA Buccaneer Blast launch. One of these days, I'll build one of those L1 rockets...

Like you, my wife likes rockets. I can't spend 50 cents for plastic models these days, but I spent 120 bucks at the launch yesterday. Go figure... (I think it has something to do with the fact that they can see the rockets "do something", while the plastic models just "collect dust". Wait until I put 5 C motors in that Revell Saturn V she just bought me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back