My first rail launch rig

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sort of a PITA then with staking or sandbagging. Got to do what you got to do though.

Thus far, I haven't used sandbags or stakes. Mine is much the same as @CurlyFat's. Speaker/lighting tripod from a yard sale, hose clamps and a rail section, less than $45 all-in. Economy is key to rocketry here.

A tilt feature would be nice, thanks for all the photos and ideas. I might have enough angle iron and hardware to do something like @Handeman's club pads...

Good thought, do have and need a ladder sometimes!!
No ladder needed on our club's L1/L2 pads, but I do need to climb up on the trailer a little bit for my L3.
I do have several L1/L2 rockets that have 60" boosters so the av-bay is 5 ft above the nozzle. With our pads, that's only 7 ft off the ground, and since I use pull pins, it's not a problem. I'm just wondering about higher pads where the nozzle is 3 - 4 ft off the ground, that would put those pull pins 8-9 ft. up.

I'm kind of wondering what I'll run into at LDRS 41 this summer.

One thing to keep in mind is weight! Remember your the one that has to carry it. That’s why I looked at a camera tripod but they are kind of light. The utility work light tripod I have is brand new. My old boss was throwing it out but I grabbed it even though it was missing the lights. It’s folds up small enough but strong enough to fly mid power. You guys have great ideas and I wish I seen this stuff a year ago but for now it should work for what I started.

A 6ft. aluminum ladder fits all our needs. Here is a pic. of the 1515 rail pad all made from 80/20 components, no welding needed. The rail can be extended to 14ft. Not cheep though.

Kevins  jav..JPG

Spent a little time working up a proof-of-concept drawing for an idea I had for a speaker-stand style pad but with a tilting rail for ease of loading. ('Speaker stand' tripod legs omitted for clarity).

It would use a shouldered bolt at the bottom to allow the rail to pivot and a lighting fixture clamps that would fit the larger tube of the Amazon heavy speaker stand but easily swings apart in half to allow disassembly for transport and laying the rail horizontal for loading, etc.. As the rocket would raise "sideways" the L-backets would have to have a long enough stand off to allow for fin clearance as you raise the rocket, but as this would be for LPR/MPR rockets that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The drawing isn't to exact scale and the L-shaped brackets need some detail work, but I think it's feasible.

I thought about an adjustable, tilting speaker mount arrangement but the rail would only be attached at one point and I would think it could allow for movement during launch if it wasn't rigid enough.

Thoughts?

pivot mount.JPG

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Spent a little time working up a proof-of-concept drawing for an idea I had for a speaker-stand style pad but with a tilting rail for ease of loading. ('Speaker stand' tripod legs omitted for clarity).

It would use a shouldered bolt at the bottom to allow the rail to pivot and a lighting fixture clamps that would fit the larger tube of the Amazon heavy speaker stand but easily swings apart in half to allow disassembly for transport and laying the rail horizontal for loading, etc.. As the rocket would raise "sideways" the L-backets would have to have a long enough stand off to allow for fin clearance as you raise the rocket, but as this would be for LPR/MPR rockets that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The drawing isn't to exact scale and the L-shaped brackets need some detail work, but I think it's feasible.

I thought about an adjustable, tilting speaker mount arrangement but the rail would only be attached at one point and I would think it could allow for movement during launch if it wasn't rigid enough.

Thoughts?
Just a couple of thoughts;
Is there a stop to prevent the rail from tilting down past horizontal? If it tilts all the way to the ground, you might have to lift both the rail and the rocket to get the rocket on. It seems you would have to one hand the rail and one hand the rocket.
Is there a way to set up the rail so the rocket fits on the top or bottom of the rail instead of the side. That should provide much less twisting torque on the BT and rail buttons while lifting the rail upright.
Will the stand tip when the rail is tilted all the way to the side? Especially if there is a stop to keep it horizontal? It might stay better balanced if the rail pivoted near it's center and across the top of the tube. Then when the rocket is slid onto the rail all the way, it would naturally tilt back down. A quick release pin could be use to lock it in place on the bottom. You could use a quick release pin at the upper pivot also just to make it easier to put the rail on and off the stand. I'm thinking an L bracket on each side of the rail and quick release pin through the end of the L bracket and tube as the pivot and locking points. That would keep the pins far enough behind the rail so they don't interfere with the rocket fins.

That might be a simple fix by bolting kind of like a adjustable leg or foot support to the rail so when you tilt it all the way down the foot/leg will rest on the ground stopping the rail. That would be better than a bolt or bracket adding extra stress to the stand itself. Just a thought.

I had seen somewhere a while ago not sure if it was in here but the guy purchased a Rockwell work vise at lows I think it had adjustable legs that held a rail guide perfectly. This was used for clamping a door or what ever you was working on.

I just looked it up. It’s called Rockwell Jaw Stand XP saw horse. It sold at Home Depot. I did see a site but I know nothing about them it’s called lennywitch.com and it’s selling for $47.89 plus free S&H. It has to be strong because it can hold a solid core wood door and their heavy. I looked at it on the Home Depot site and the hight is adjustable with adjustable tilting. I am looking to get a 1010 rail for my mid power rockets but not sure how to use them or even put them on some rockets that are already built but not painted yet. If I go with a rail this is the way I’m going.

Yep that looks like it. The one I see has some king of material that protects what ever it’s holding. Not bad for $47.89

Is there a stop to prevent the rail from tilting down past horizontal? If it tilts all the way to the ground, you might have to lift both the rail and the rocket to get the rocket on. It seems you would have to one hand the rail and one hand the rocket.
Yes. I left that out (along with the tripod legs) but I would add a leg that would extend down to support the rail in the horizontal.
Is there a way to set up the rail so the rocket fits on the top or bottom of the rail instead of the side. That should provide much less twisting torque on the BT and rail buttons while lifting the rail upright.

That could certainly be a problem with heavier rockets. I would never launch anything heavier than an Class 1 rocket, but even then I am concerned about this. But this is where things start getting complicated - both in engineering and expense, and I am trying out of necessity to keep both to a minimum. Placing the rocket on the top (or bottom) of the rail would require the rail to be stood-off the tripod tube far enough to clear the fins when raising, and given the weight of the rail and associated hardware, the rocket as well as any forces exerted upon it at launch, would require strengthening the brackets, pivot points to a degree that other styles of pads start becoming easier to implement (with increasing costs all around).

It might stay better balanced if the rail pivoted near it's center and across the top of the tube. Then when the rocket is slid onto the rail all the way, it would naturally tilt back down.

A good point and I considered that but left the pivot point to be worked out when integrating it with the tripod. I kept the drawing simple just to work on the proof-of-concept, and by leaving out the rest of the speaker stand tripod I was actually being a little lazy, because how the pivot works in conjunction with the legs is another consideration, as well as the weight & balance.

I'm starting to think that, perhaps, the non-tilting version might not be the simplest option. Using a folding leg to support it as you tilt the stand over would make loading easier, a heavy tripod is a pretty stable stand as long as weight is located near the center, and if you do need a sandbag for stability moving or detaching it is a small price to pay for simplicity and reduced costs.

Jawstands are now over $100, so that is out for me.

I'm somewhat attracted to the splayed-leg stands for their simplicity, but they have compromises, as well. They can require some ground prep to make it lie flat and stable, and doing a quick resourcing of 1" extruded aluminum even a stand for Class 1 rockets starts to get expensive.

splayed stand.jpg

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, I’m not concerned about tilting because I just set it up with the first 3’ section, slide the rocket on that, then the rest of the rail goes on and I just tighten a couple set screws. Obviously this won’t work if you have a rail button/guide much more than 3’ above the base of your rocket…

I do really appreciate everyone chiming in on this thread! I’ve got so many more ideas for improvement and future designs now.
I really didn’t expect my humble little post to turn I to such a great discussion!

If I go with a 1010 rail for my mid powered rockets, what would you suggest going with a 6 foot or 8 foot rail?

I do have an Estes Mean Machine 6 foot but I’m looking for a rail to fly my Pro Series ll Rockets. I’m waiting for the So Long rocket or should I say by by to come at the end of the summer so Estes told me.

I noticed some rails are smooth and some with ridges the length of the rail. Would that make a difference if it’s smooth or not?

I noticed some rails are smooth and some with ridges the length of the rail. Would that make a difference if it’s smooth or not?
The smooth one would be easier to clean!! I have a 6 and 8 foot, both have the ridges. Did not have a choice only ones available when I bought them. Did not even know if they even had smooth ones at the time.

The problem is the shipping. The longer it is, the higher the shipping costs.

If you can find a local distributer, a little higher price is usually well below shipping costs.

This is exactly why I went with 3' sections. 3 of them (with shipping) was the same cost as a 6' section. Even when I included the slide-in connectors. This also provided the advantage of length options and the aforementioned loading ability (with only the 3' section attached to the stand).

If your worried about the pad tilting and tipping over when you tilt the rail down, I would just make the legs longer on the side of the direction your tilting.

Back