My camping and fishing trip this past W/E.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
My wife suggested to me to sign up for free fly rod fishing lessons the state sponsors. I always wanted to learn and when I tried to learn 20 years ago, the Gent going to teach me passed away on the day! I applied and was rejected, class was full. Two days later, I get a phone call asking if I still wanted to go?
"Hell yes" I screamed! "I'm all set!"
This was to be a camping and fishing trip because it was being held 3 and 1/2 hours away at the top of my state. Cool, I booked my camping site, right on the water, well as close as you could get. Watch the days and hours go by ever so slowly for almost a month. The day arrives, work ends, I'm off!
"Oh no, where are my tent poles?"
I left them in the shed, no big deal, I'll stop on my way by. No poles in the shed, check the car again, they're under the umbrella I keep in the car. All set.
Off I go again. Re-reading the check list in my head. Hope I have enough food? No worries, I'll catch my dinner, or so I thought. I'm on another adventure. Three hours later I'm on the road to the campground. As I was climbing the last hill, a Fox runs across the road holding a rabbit in it's mouth, what no pockets? First animal I see. I get to my site and I hear a Loon on the water. I love the sound a Loon makes. Site is a little muddy but hey, it's camping. Set up the tent, I'm still in my good work clothes which I get dirty. I change in the open, nobody nearby I thought. I hear a young woman's voice "Nice Butt!" I jump. She's hiding behind a tree waiting to scare me. She got me, good! Turns out she works at the grounds. I make supper and fix a drink, you know the kind. Eat, drink a little, grab my Zebco rod, dig up a few worms and go fishing. I look across the lake and spy a Bald Eagle nesting in a tree.
Animal number 2.
Fish for a while and get skunked. I go to site, build a fire and set a spell. Drinking and listening to the birds. Weather is beautiful, perfect for camping.

4:30 A.M. I wake up to a Moose(a cow) mooing at her calf. I get up, still dressed and go out to see the moose. Not one, not two but three moose at the far edge of the pond.
Animal number three.
Make coffee, eat a lite breakfast and listen to the birds. There is a chipmunk circling the camp and chirping at me, funny!
# four.
I listen and watch the Loons for awhile, waiting for 8:30 A.M. to roll around. I go to class, sign in, get name tag, find a seat. An old Lazy-Boy with brown vinyl leather from the once-great-but-now-extinct-vinyl Buffalo. That works for me!
We do the introductions and I noticed a nice, young lady with rather big assets, she was scantily clad. She drew the looks from the other women in the group. Oh great!, another distraction. There were nine instructors and one F&G warden. He was intimidating none the less. Class and practice for the rest of the day with a break for lunch, more class and practice with a rain shower early afternoon. More practice and a final lesson on the porch now that it is a lot cooler.
Break for the day, I try out my new found favorite past time. I catch three minnows, despite being told the pond was stocked yesterday. Baloney!
While fishing, I see the Eagle launch from it's nest, I don't see the Loon come up from a dive with a big fish in it's mouth! The Eagle dives for the fish in the Loons mouth and almost takes the Loon with it! The Loon screams at the Eagle and dives down for another fish. That was cool to see!
Back to supper, drinking and chatting with a few new friends. We all talk about Miss Big B's. She said her husband made her take the course because he can't teach her. I'd like to try! We share a few laughs and go to bed listening to the loons.
During the night I hear an animal rattling about on my picnic table, a coon or skunk, I sniff, not a skunk, whew.
I wake at 4:30 A.M. again, I go down to the water and see the same three moose in just about the same spots. The Eagle screams and launches into flight, flies over the water and lands in a tree. He stays there for over an hour. I know he see's me and a few others who have joined me. Finally, he flies away and it's time for day two. A new cast and some practice before we try to fish.
Skunked again, I have nothing to show for all my hard work. I pack up and get followed by a State Trooper for over an hour. He finally passed me to pursue someone else.
All in all, a great week end adventure.

Last edited:
For this you missed an MMMSClub launch? Sounds like a good choice. I hope there were some pictures taken so you can share some of the creatures (especially inside the lodge :wink:).

We did pretty well with the new set up on the sod farm as the wind was cooperative. There is one section of a fiberglass booster that is hung up in a tree. I gave Curtis your name to contact with the info as you are the great hunter on that field.

Likely see you at one of these events:
1) CMASS meeting at Bill's on 04 June with fire training
2) CMASS launch on 09 June in Sudbury, or
3) MMMSClub launch on 15 June.

Kenn

Sounds like a great weekend. I don't get to get out of the city much since being under/unemployed in 08. But I hope this year I can get out of the concrete this summer/fall. Love being around critters.

I don't know, it sounds too much like work to me.
:p

Hey.. a bad day fishing is better than a good day working!!! In my book anyways.
Nature is a wonderful thing. Glad you were able to see the best she has to offer!

We are always looking for wildlife when we travel and camp out. I have seen red, grey and kit foxes in AZ, bald and golden eagles here too. Never seen a moose though. Had plenty of racoons scrounging around the campsite, and almost petted a skunk that snuck in under the picnic table and rubbed my leg, thought it was our cat! Watched coyotes catch cottontail rabbits in our backyard (which is a golf course).
The real excitement for me was my first loon! We were in Newport, Oregon on the coast bird watching. Came right into the marina, so we got a good look at it.

So, where were ya,Pittsfield?
Or is it a top secret place?
Wild life,heck, I can stay at home and see that on TV and Youtube, I want to know if you saw any Sasquatches?
Or the likes of,like a BIG pile of SASH!T! Im still needing some for the garden. (Marshmellons)

Wild life,heck, I can stay at home and see that on TV and Youtube, I want to know if you saw any Sasquatches?
Or the likes of,like a BIG pile of SASH!T! Im still needing some for the garden. (Marshmellons)

Is SASH!T what a Sasquatch makes when he is having a Sas-squat?

During one of our practice times, I turn to my left and find Aeryn Sun casting right next to me. I ask, "How ya doing?" She replied "I need some help!" "I'll be right over". Too late, Big Jim the instructor jump on over. He had his arms over her shoulders showing her how to cast. Lucky dog! :lol:

Scotty,

I thought I said so but I guess I didn't. Little Diamond Pond, Coleman State Park, 1155 Diamond Pond Road
Stewartstown, NH 03597.
Flushing toilets, showers and a laundry, small store, no electric or water at the sites. I can't wait to go back! This is my new favorite camp ground.

https://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/coleman-state-park.aspx

Hey.. a bad day fishing is better than a good day working!!! In my book anyways.
Nature is a wonderful thing. Glad you were able to see the best she has to offer!

I wish I had thought of that when I was fishing!

Scotty,

I thought I said so but I guess I didn't. Little Diamond Pond, Coleman State Park, 1155 Diamond Pond Road
Stewartstown, NH 03597.
Flushing toilets, showers and a laundry, small store, no electric or water at the sites. I can't wait to go back! This is my new favorite camp ground.

https://www.nhstateparks.org/explore/state-parks/coleman-state-park.aspx
OH...OK. Ive been there. Dixville area. My bro was a chef at the Balsams way back. Very nice area. Next time go to the rock across from the Balsams. https://www.nhmountainhiking.com/tablerock.html

Last edited:
Wow , sounds like the perfect trip to me. And he's right, a bad day fishin is better than a good day at work---by far! Deb and I have not been camping since the move to Tx. We really miss it. If you ever make it down south try Siminole St. park in Ga. We used to go 4 to 5 weeks out of the year and plan to retire in the area--just beautiful!. Hot summers but the wildlife---YIKES!!!

dlazarus6660
You picked one of the best if not the best thing to do in my book. I live for flyfishing. I've been flyfishing for 25 years. But I thought you might injoy this little video of a fish I got last year up on the provo river. This is right above the turn off to sundance. Caught on a grasshopper. It's only about 18" long but he was sitting a foot from the bank. The fun part is when you get to watch them come up and eat your fly.
https://vimeo.com/30527923

dlazarus6660
You picked one of the best if not the best thing to do in my book. I live for flyfishing. I've been flyfishing for 25 years. But I thought you might injoy this little video of a fish I got last year up on the provo river. This is right above the turn off to sundance. Caught on a grasshopper. It's only about 18" long but he was sitting a foot from the bank. The fun part is when you get to watch them come up and eat your fly.
https://vimeo.com/30527923

That was a thing of beauty!!! I am going up there to wet a line!

Back