My boid, semroc kit #KA-6

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Base coat.

Masking.

2nd color.

3rd color.

4th color

my boid 075.jpg

Attachments

• my boid 070.jpg
    my boid 070.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 35
  • my boid 071.jpg
    my boid 071.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 37
  • my boid 072.jpg
    my boid 072.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 42
  • my boid 074.jpg
    my boid 074.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 39
The corners of the 1st and 3rd colors touch above the fins. The glare from the flash covers that detail.

my boid 076.jpg

Last edited:
The corners of the 1st and 2nd colors touch above the fins. The glare from the flash covers that detail.

my boid 077.jpg

Attachments

• my boid 075.jpg
    my boid 075.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Nice work!
I like how you look past the obvious lines of the design and give it a whole new look and feel.

All Krylon.
All 'New Krylon'.

No runs.
No drips.
No sagging.
No blisters.
No krinckling.
No hazing.
No blushing.

No problems.
(except the Maple tree)

my boid 085.jpg

I`m liking that bauhaus gold,

I did my 4" Plolecat Jayhawk in Pumpkin.Took me 5 cans ,but turned out beauty.

Paul T

Had to work today (Saturday.....ughhhh) so afterwards I went to the local hardware store to check out that Bauhaus Gold.....nothing ,went to Home Depot.....nothing !

Came home with a Subway oven roasted chicken breast on Italian herb & cheese loaded !

No paint :(

Paul T

Had to work today (Saturday.....ughhhh) so afterwards I went to the local hardware store to check out that Bauhaus Gold.....nothing ,went to Home Depot.....nothing !

Came home with a Subway oven roasted chicken breast on Italian herb & cheese loaded !

No paint :(

Paul T

Ack! Ack-Ack... (I sure hope you got enough to share with everybody...)

A-scene-from-Mars-Attacks-007.jpg

Last edited:
Ooops ,sorry....only bought a 6" sub.

But I`ll be on the hunt tomorrow for paint,although I did buy a test can of Krylon Hosta Green for my Pershing II build ;)

Paul T

bradycros, well done. You turned a simple 4fnc rocket into a nifty little work of art.

What surprises me, and I don't know why I am, is that we don't see the "stretched diamond" pattern more often. I'm sure I've seen it before, but, having seen your execution, none register with me. I kept waiting for you lay down a blue, green or red, but you surprised me with that yellow/orange scheme. Again, well done.

The pattern you used has a lot of potential for variation, particularly if transparent paints are employed. You've inspired me to start thinking about some.

bradycros, well done. You turned a simple 4fnc rocket into a nifty little work of art.

What surprises me, and I don't know why I am, is that we don't see the "stretched diamond" pattern more often. I'm sure I've seen it before, but, having seen your execution, none register with me. I kept waiting for you lay down a blue, green or red, but you surprised me with that yellow/orange scheme. Again, well done.

The pattern you used has a lot of potential for variation, particularly if transparent paints are employed. You've inspired me to start thinking about some.

High praise indeed! Thank you.

Last edited:
I think the elongated diamond gives an impression of the sustainers shape.

my boid 088.jpg

rm-10-cad-model.jpg

Interesting. More than just pretty paint—you're using color and shape to trick the eye. Very savvy. I'm getting an education here—or rather, being re-educated. I'm going to have to wake-up one of days and I think you just helped a lot. One surprise after another. I'm impressed.

That is a cool rocket whose shape you were going after. It'd be an interesting build for someone ambitious. I've often wondered how to come up with that shape.

Last edited:
Sweet paint job man!! BTW what is that old rocket in the B/W photo? Almost looks like it could be from a 1950's SF movie. It's definitely cryin' out to be built though. :cool2:

Easy to agree with the crowd. You make it seem easy as pie! Great job! I need about a 1/3rd of your talent and I'll be happy! :)

I just picked up a My Boid on eBay for 6 bucks. Of course until it arrives I'll have no idea what it is. Guess that is part of the mystique!

Easy to agree with the crowd. You make it seem easy as pie! Great job! I need about a 1/3rd of your talent and I'll be happy! :)

I just picked up a My Boid on eBay for 6 bucks. Of course until it arrives I'll have no idea what it is. Guess that is part of the mystique!

I'm glad you like the build.

Talent? Thank you for saying so, but I'm thinking it's largely patients and determination.

I used the Tamiya 6mm tape on this rocket.

A refill roll of 6mm tape, 6 meters long costs $1.60 at www.hobbylinc.com
The 6mm tape in the dispenser comes with 18 meters of tape for $3.39
That makes it $1.13 per 6 meters (+ free dispenser).

I do not use the dispenser to cut the tape, I use sissors.
I leave the tape in the dispenser to keep the tape clean.
When not in use, the dispenser is kept in a baggie to keep boogers, hair and dust from collecting on the edges of the tape.
First ,NICE job!! Second,Nice tip on storing the tape.Never gave it a thought about the boogers and such collecting on the egdes.

First ,NICE job!! Second,Nice tip on storing the tape.Never gave it a thought about the boogers and such collecting on the egdes.

If I need a fine line using plain old painter's masking tape, I will lay the strip on a clean surface like glass and cut the edge off using a straight edge.

If I need a fine line using plain old painter's masking tape, I will lay the strip on a clean surface like glass and cut the edge off using a straight edge.

That's a well know method that works on dirty tape. The extra steps of cleaning the glass (so you don't add new boogers), then cutting the tape with a straight edge and a knife are eliminated by simply storeing the tape in a baggie right from the get go.

Last edited:
The camera's eye. :cyclops:

my boid 007.jpg

my boid 062.jpg

my boid 070.jpg

Attachments

• my boid 088.jpg
    my boid 088.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 37
  • rm-10-cad-model.jpg
    rm-10-cad-model.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 33
The intrepid Spaceman Spiff mans the controls of the 'My Boid' for a interplanetary shake down cruise.

my boid 088.jpg

shapeimage_4.png

shapeimage_3.png

Last edited:
Back