Moving overseas, how to transport my engines?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heut

Reaction score
Hi,

In a few weeks i am moving overseas. Means that i have to transport my rocket engines as well.
Can i put these in a sea container with the rest of my stuff? Estimated temperatures inside the container can be from 95 degrees (F) to lower. Just like my garage where they are stored right now.

My line of thought was that these engines (all estes black powder A-D series) are transported to the USA by ship any way.

Any recommendations or regulations?

Thanks,

Heut

I may be mistaken, but I think all Estes motors are made in the US.

You should call your shipping company about including them in your container. I would think, however, that they'll be just fine.

I'm sure they will be fine, but the shipping company might not agree. I know we couldn't put any aerosols or anything with alcohol in the shipping container (including things like vanilla extract).

Get a list of what is and is not allowed, and don't mention the engines unless you have to.

model rocket motors are allowed to be shipped by cargo ship as long as they are packaged securely.

In fact some model rocket motors can also be shipped via cargo airplane. Notice I keep saying model rocket motors?

terry dean
nar 16158

Thanks!

A few questions since this is new to me, what is securely packaged? Any guidelines for that? How do i securely package those things?

And you mentioned something about moving them in a plane. What is the regulation for that?

I know that the NAR chapter in the Netherlands is still having trouble with selling rocket motors as motors. The law is considering them to be firewords or explosives. Seems i need a license to fire a D or an E engine.

I am checking that with the Dutch guys.

Most Estes 1/4a-C BP motors < 30 gram are UN0432 or NA 0323 and they are 1.4S... larger Estes DE are 1.4C and UN0432 or NA0276.

NA0323/NA0276 are stupid US specific while UN0432 known as Artciles Pyrotechnic is a world designation.

If you look these up on the USDOT website up to 75 KG can be shipped by cargo airplane if properly packaged .

securely means in multiple packagings.. Packaging for NA0323/NA0276/UN0432 is PG II, which I think means 1.4G rated packaging boxes. Your shipper can help you more with this.

They obviously would have to be shipped HAZMAT.

The info you need is the 49CFR 172.101 which is the USDOT Hazmat table along with 49CFR 172.101.

Both NA0323/NA0276 have a special provision attached to them as:

51 This description applies to items previously
described as ‘‘Toy propellant devices,
Class C’’ and includes reloadable
kits. Model rocket motors containing 30
grams or less propellant are classed as Division
1.4S and items containing more than
30 grams of propellant but not more than
62.5 grams of propellant are classed as Division
1.4C.

If you send me a or email I will send you the relevant parts from 172.1010 and 172.102 so that you can take it to a shipper to show that you can ship small quantuities via cargo aircraft like UPS,FEDEX,DHL or whoever flies between here and the Netherlands. You can NOT ship estes motors via passenger aircraft! That is prohibited and forbidden.

hope this helps

terry dean
nar 16158

Back