Movies You Wish You Could Forget... But...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surprised no one's mentioned The Sixth Sense. I swear the air pressure in the theater dropped a couple of pounds with the intake of breath as the ring hit the floor and everyone realized [spoiler alert] 'he's dead'.

Surprised no one's mentioned The Sixth Sense. I swear the air pressure in the theater dropped a couple of pounds with the intake of breath as the ring hit the floor and everyone realized [spoiler alert] 'he's dead'.
Read the first post again

If you fluent in German or don't mind subtitled movies, "The Lives of Others" deserves to me mentioned in this discussion.
This is one of those movies that makes you realize the level of dreck that the day to day US movie releases have become.

I would view the following:

John Carpenter's The Thing
Alien
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
The Bad News Bears
Soylent Green
Planet of the Apes (1968)
Casablanca
The Maltese Falcon
The Godfather, Parts I and II
Cool Hand Luke

Got me thinking about movies that don't hold up because they were so successful everybody borrowed bits.

The Matrix, Alien, Fifth element, Rocky Horror. are all movies I'd love to see again fresh.
I saw the original x-rated version of a clockwork orange; I see why it was x-rated. They removed thirty seconds for the r-rating. No, it wasn't sex, but violence. Kubrick burned the cuts.
There are many, many movies that were a complete waste of time.

Fail Safe: Right up to the time that the president's phone made that high screech, I was thinking "No, they'll stop it somehow, they HAVE to!" One of the scariest scenes I've ever seen.

Likewise for Special Bulletin and World War III, for much the same reason.

Has no one mentioned "Airplane!"? I'd like to be able to see it for the first time again and be able to catch every one of the jokes. It was only about a year ago, while re-watching it, that I noticed that they were playing the sounds of a prop plane while the movie takes place on a jet!

Best -- Terry

Has no one mentioned "Airplane!"? I'd like to be able to see it for the first time again and be able to catch every one of the jokes. It was only about a year ago, while re-watching it, that I noticed that they were playing the sounds of a prop plane while the movie takes place on a jet!
I viewed Airplane a couple of weeks ago, several jokes fell flat, and the abandoned cab skit was meh. I didn't recognize that the unlucky fare was Howard Jarvis.

"Quigley Down Under" ....
Going to agree there. Quigley is an all time great movie in my book. There are many Cat1 movies on my list:

Serenity
Top Gun
No Country for Old Men
Gladiator
Animal House
and the afore mentioned Quigley Down Under.

Category 1A must include:
Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter
Corvette Summer

What is interesting is there are a lot of duplicates in these post. Maybe not.

Fail- safe and Collosus were both scary in their own way; Airplane is One of the best movies ever, right up there with Mel Brooks.
Zero-Hour was enjoyable; we made a drinking game out of it; Every time you hear a line that Made it into Airplane, you take a drink. Not for the amateur drinker, lol.

Best -- Terry
In the vein of Airplane using the drone of a prop plane instead of the whine of a jet, I'd love to see a Hot Shots type movie where the pilots are flying the "latest technology" but get shot up, and crash onto an aircraft carrier. However, as they pan across the faces of the deck crew and back to the crashing aircraft the damaged plane changes to progressively older and older jets (with grainy and grainer film), then back to progressively older and older prop planes, and finally the very first aircraft filmed that crashed on the deck of a carrier is lying on the deck. Preferably each, very real, crash would be one that the aircrew survived. When the deck crew go to rescue the flight crew, it's back to the latest technology jet. I always find it annoying how in movies that show carrier crashes would switch aircraft as if we couldn't tell the difference between a F-14 Tomcat and a F9F Panther, or a F4 Phantom, or the differences between a Hellcat and a Dauntless. Perhaps as a final joke in that sequence, show all of the older aircraft laying on deck and then being pushed off the deck of the carrier in reverse order.

Good call. There were so many visual jokes in the background. I remember bursting out laughing in the cinema a couple of times, but obviously nobody else had seen the background details that amused me! I'm sure I missed some too.

I've been watching a show called air disasters lately; I probably won't be able to fly again, but it's good, :)
On one of the shows, the pilots are discussing their chances of landing without operable controls, the one guy says "I picked a hell of a day to quit sniffing glue!" I thought that was awesome. :)

I hear ya - my wife makes me watch the "I shouldn't be alive!" shows. Many are stranded at sea. I'm now terrified of the ocean and probably will never go out in it again!

Fail Safe: Right up to the time that the president's phone made that high screech, I was thinking "No, they'll stop it somehow, they HAVE to!" One of the scariest scenes I've ever seen.

My wife and I just watched Fail Safe last night because of your post, prfesser. It was one of the most calmly terrifying movies I've ever seen.

We're watching Dr. Strangelove tonight in keeping with the imminent nuclear war theme.:headspinning:

If memory serves...Fail Safe didn't do very well in theaters, partly because it was released not long after Dr. Strangelove. The dark-comedic nature of Dr. Strangelove apparently made viewers less than enthusiastic about a dramatic movie on the same theme.

A Soylent Green factoid.

The story has global warming, overpopulation, assisted suicide, homelessness, and environmental collapse occurring in 2022.

Are we there yet? (sarcasm)

Continuing the theme of movies that have probably already been posted [that I didn't notice] and nuclear war end-of-the-world movies: 'On the Beach'.

I've never felt what you mentioned about wanting to recapture that first-time experience about a movie, but I feel that way about a video game called The Outer Wilds.

In it, you fly a spaceship to explore a solar system (an alien one; your character is not a human), uncover clues about an alien race that used to live there when your race hadn't fully evolved yet, and put the clues together to find how to reach the end, all while experiencing a 22-minute time loop that ends with the sun going supernova.

The game has no combat of any kind. The gameplay entirely revolves around exploration and discovery, and when you piece all the clues together and reach the end of the game, the payoff is absolutely sublime.

I can play again and revisit some old favorite locations, but I will never discover anything for the first time in Outer Wilds again. I also already know all the solutions so I will never piece the clues together and see the ending for the first time either. And that makes me very sad.
Outer Wilds came out on PS5 recently, and this recommendation stuck with me so I picked it up. But I forgot most of your description of the game, only that you really liked it. So imagine my surprise when I was in my spaceship reading through my log, and I heard an explosion. I looked out my window and thought “why is the sun blue???!!!”” Oh nooooo” 😂

I like it so far, but the mechanics take some getting used to. I haven’t really discovered anything yet. I practiced the controls and went to moon of the homeworld.

Back