Motor Testing At MIT

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an excellent point. Take a look at the people in the photos. We're all old. I guess when we can't make it up and down the stairs to the test cell they'll be somebody to take our place but it sure would be nice if they were around now.

Listen, Grandpa, you can call yourself and Dunkin' Donuts old but . . . What was I talking about?

Anyway, this thread has prompted one of our local CMASS/MMMSC members to express an interest in our work and he'd like to get involved. He lives near Porter Square and is applying to MIT to get his second masters degree. I told him to contact you about getting on the mailing list, after all, all things model rockets go through you, right? At least it must seem that way; maybe less so since you shed NARTS a few years back.

This is an excellent point. Take a look at the people in the photos. We're all old. I guess when we can't make it up and down the stairs to the test cell they'll be somebody to take our place but it sure would be nice if they were around now.

Doesn't that building have an elevator?

Doesn't that building have an elevator?

John, he's referring to the three wooden steps up and concrete steps down to go through the door. And he didn't even mention swinging that heavy door.

I didn't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist, but that's what I was thinking. Based on the flame size, It looked more like an F30 or 40. F15 seems like too little mass flow to create a flame size that large, but for for now I'm just gonna go with I guess I was wrong.

Its possible the camera is making the flame bigger than it really is since that blast chamber is on the dark side.

I'm hoping that there will be those who step up and begin to fill those shoes in the future. But from a practical standpoint isn't it a plus to live/work near MIT?

Greg

It's certainly helpful but Scott came down from Maine and there's another guy who's usually there who couldn't make it this time who's from New Hampshire.

I don't understand what the problem is. It is easy to see that those are part of the new hobby line from Gorilla Motors...
:p

Hi Harold. Stop shaking your head, Harold.

So Bill are the motors from Estes? F-15 maybe?

So for the secret handshake you have to dress up like (pick one)?
:eyeroll:

I think it involves a hat made of aluminum foil. Or having a silly moosestash and smelling of popcorn.:pop: Luckily i have a moosestash and often smell of popcorn.:pop:

Wow this thread has devolved into havoc, now where did i put my aluminum foil pirates hat.:horse:

Actually, the shoes go with the outfit, but the "Jiffy Pop" was just something the Turban reminded me of - LOL !

I was thinking you were saying we should make Bill's head explode?!

It could be entertaining.....for us. :D

-Kevin

I have heard rumors that more than the "super-secret handshake" is involved . . . (Click to enlarge )

View attachment 112189

View attachment 112190

View attachment 112188

Dave F.

The first picture is out; Bill doesn't wear hats. Maybe at our very coldest launches but usually something with ear flaps.
The third picture is not likely, either; as he owns his own plumbing business, he knows the importance of wearing safety shoes. One of the workers may drop (throw) something at his feet if he didn't.
As it is food, the popcorn is most likely. Although, Bill knows so little of so many classic movies, it wouldn't surprise me if he's not into the popcorn, too. :smile:

I was thinking you were saying we should make Bill's head explode?!

It could be entertaining.....for us. :D

-Kevin

Considering the contents, an implosion is more likely.

A vacuum would explain your attraction to rocketry. Mosquitoes can make his head explode; so next time you see Bill, sneak up behind him and buzz.

Getting close to the 30-day mark. :clap:
We'll soon all know if the motors passed or not and, if they did, what they were. :y:

Just wanted to bump this up and give everyone another chance to speculate even if only to amuse others.

Latest posts

Back