Model Rockets in Tokyo?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Am headed back to my old haunts in Tokyo for a short (Boeing) business trip. Sad thing was, last time I lived in Tokyo I wasn't into model rocketry - so what do you think the odds are that I'll find any Japanese kits there?

Can't say that Tokyo would be the greatest place to launch (although it's been done; youtube), but it'd sure be interesting to see if they sell any Japanese or other Asian kits there. As I recall they're allowed to sell motors up to 5 grams in propellant.

Now all I have to do is brush up on my kanji and see if I can remember where some hobby stores are. Use to know one in near Tachikawa-shi, but can't remember the train stop.

Not sure how far away it is, but my son Joe will be going to Nagoya later this month for a year of teaching :) I've already tasked him with the job of finding rocketry there. And if he *can't*, to start it... LOL

Be sure to go see the rockets in the National Museum. There's only a few there, but they're a nice display, and they're near the Mitsubishi Zero fighter, if I remember correctly. If I knew offhand how to post photos, I'd post 'em.

Am headed back to my old haunts in Tokyo for a short (Boeing) business trip. Sad thing was, last time I lived in Tokyo I wasn't into model rocketry - so what do you think the odds are that I'll find any Japanese kits there?

Can't say that Tokyo would be the greatest place to launch (although it's been done; youtube), but it'd sure be interesting to see if they sell any Japanese or other Asian kits there. As I recall they're allowed to sell motors up to 5 grams in propellant.

Now all I have to do is brush up on my kanji and see if I can remember where some hobby stores are. Use to know one in near Tachikawa-shi, but can't remember the train stop.

This was 17 years ago, but a Japanese film crew came to Atlanta to film our club for a segment about rocketry for some show roughly titled "This Is My Dream!" They had been referred to us by the Japanese equivalent of the NAR, which had just gotten off the ground.

Also, as I recall from the reports of the last WSMC in Baikonur, the head of the Japanese team got emotional when meeting Vern and Gleda. So there must be some activity there. Whether its in Tokyo is another matter.

Not sure how far away it is, but my son Joe will be going to Nagoya later this month for a year of teaching :) I've already tasked him with the job of finding rocketry there. And if he *can't*, to start it... LOL

I used to fly into Nagoya, in my plane, from Tokyo and places south - all the way out to Okinawa (200 miles open water). Nice area with Kyoto being close by. Actually the reason I'm going there is to lay the preliminary groundwork for Pilot and Boom Operator flight training for the new KC-767 at Komaki AB (JASDF) located outside of Nagoya.

I'll report back in.

Back