Model Minutes G-75 Carrier

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Since I'm in a "cardstock" frame of mind lately, might as well knock off the kits in my build pile.
Two down, one more to go.
0524192317.jpg
Ran out of spray adhesive so couldn't attach the fin decorations, but assembly is complete.
Next, G-200 Carrier.

I decided to save a few bucks, so instead of buying a can of spray adhesive I mixed some wood glue with water. Brushed the thinned glue onto the back of the paper decorations and applied:
0526191635.jpg
Worked great!
Instead of starting a new thread for the G200, I'll continue here.

I thought I could crank this out in a day, but this is how far I got:
0526191635a.jpg

Ran into similar fitment issues as the other kits, plus there was a missing part. Had to do some workarounds.
Finished the next day:
0527190442.jpg

Yowzer! This is a big rocket. 24mm motor mount. Approx. 31" long. Surface mount cardstock fins. No foamboard, no TTW.
After the first launch I might have to rename this "Shredded Wheat". Or "Burnt Toast". Hmmm getting hungry...….
Well, I'm done with cardstock for a while. Happy with the results, but it was TEDIOUS! Laters.

Looks like some fun launches, I'm also curious to see how well the surface mount fins hold up. Is that a clear payload bay?

I've also found that regular white glue (PVA) thins out very nicely with water and is very useful. It can also be heat activated and ironed down.

Thanks guys.
The payload bay is a cardstock tube with windows cut out. A clear plastic sheet is rolled, inserted and glued to the tube. That was the missing part. Fortunately I had an Evergreen clear styrene sheet left over from another clone build.
There is a cardstock "satellite" inside. Ejection options are "Payloader" (ejection at separation point below the payload section). and "Orbital launch" ( ejection at nose cone THROUGH the payload section) with satellite recovery via separate chute.
Well, we all know what's gonna happen with ejection through the clear payload section. So I permanently glued the nose cone and payload transition. Payload section and main rocket come down on separate chutes.
The three cardstock models will be going up at the next launch. Will post flight reports. Cheers.

Update:
Flew both carriers today. G75 went up on a B6-4, G200 on a D12-5.
Both flights nice and straight, but.....
G75 split in two at ejection and body tube was badly burnt. Second and last flight.
G200 main section recovered on its own chute, but payload section drifted into the Pacific Ocean.
Built stock but in retrospect probably didn't need two chute recovery. One and done.
20200223_071910.jpg 20200223_073300_HDR.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-02-23-12h05m27s313.png

Update:
Flew both carriers today. G75 went up on a B6-4, G200 on a D12-5.
Both flights nice and straight, but.....
G75 split in two at ejection and body tube was badly burnt. Second and last flight.
G200 main section recovered on its own chute, but payload section drifted into the Pacific Ocean.
Built stock but in retrospect probably didn't need two chute recovery. One and done.
View attachment 407345 View attachment 407346
View attachment 407352

Nice looking bird and quite the impressive launch site.

Much respect to you and your offerings to the "God of Tumbling Mirth".

Back