Model GPS system

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not sure what your frequency allocations in France are but that would not be legal for use in the US as the frequency is within licensed LMR spectrum. The only concern that you will want to look into with this is that the GPS does not loose lock during flight.

Garmin Astros lose commo and lock in flight and reacquire quickly.

Hi
I would rather avoid GSM one because I am launching outside France so it is a bit of a pain because that mean you need to borrow locally a sim card.
Boris

I am not sure what your frequency allocations in France are but that would not be legal for use in the US as the frequency is within licensed LMR spectrum. The only concern that you will want to look into with this is that the GPS does not loose lock during flight.

That is a very good point I need to check where it is legal in Europe.
I will post something on the European rocketry forums.
Boris

it is a european marketed system, but I agree. The frequency is 869.525 MHz

Last edited:
That is a very good point I need to check where it is legal in Europe.
I will post something on the European rocketry forums.
Boris

The 868MHz SRD band is generally legal within Europe. You can also convert an BRB900 or an Tragic Little Aerospace µGTU for operation in Europe by exchanging the 900MHz XBee-Pro module for an XBee-Pro 868MHz module. There are some little details that you need to pay attention to (max. duty cycle, current consumption). If you want to know more details about this, let me know.
Regarding the system that you posted the link to: It looks quite capable for the purpose of getting your rocket back, so it should work fine for that. The price is also reasonable for a fully contained product. In my opinion, it would be nice to know what chipset the device uses and if the refresh rate would be a little higher, but these are minor details.

If you don't mind the question, where in Europe are you flying? I guess Spain or Switzerland?

Reinhard

I have never used a BRB, but I will vouch for the quality of their products. I have seen several rockets return to their owners because of these products.

I do fly in Italy
and I am going to Switzerland this summer
Boris
The 868MHz SRD band is generally legal within Europe. You can also convert an BRB900 or an Tragic Little Aerospace µGTU for operation in Europe by exchanging the 900MHz XBee-Pro module for an XBee-Pro 868MHz module. There are some little details that you need to pay attention to (max. duty cycle, current consumption). If you want to know more details about this, let me know.
Regarding the system that you posted the link to: It looks quite capable for the purpose of getting your rocket back, so it should work fine for that. The price is also reasonable for a fully contained product. In my opinion, it would be nice to know what chipset the device uses and if the refresh rate would be a little higher, but these are minor details.

If you don't mind the question, where in Europe are you flying? I guess Spain or Switzerland?

Reinhard

Latest posts

Back