Minwax wood hardener causes swelling.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you fix it by sanding? Does it make the tube much stiffer?
Not sure, but I'm going to try...still a bit tacky. Should know more after 8pm...still a pain I didn't expect.

Not sure about stiffer, but certainly better for dings, scratches etc...it does give it a bit of a hard shell...

Are you sure it's due to swelling of the coupler?
You put a coat of something on a coupler.
Plus it's a little tacky.
Not surprising that it won't go back in.
Wait till it's completely dry and sand it smooth.

Can you fix it by sanding? Does it make the tube much stiffer?

Are you sure it's due to swelling of the coupler?
You put a coat of something on a coupler.
Plus it's a little tacky.
Not surprising that it won't go back in.
Wait till it's completely dry and sand it smooth.
Well, panic mode off. When I started, it was 1/2 the tube thickness too large!

Yes, it was swelling of the coupler. Wasn't tacky, it had 5 hours to dry before I tried it.

Yes, it was also a bit of overspray from painting the airframe at the same time. Duh!

After a bunch of sanding of both parts, nice 60 grit Emory, niiiiiice smooth fit. I actually like it.

I always CA'd couplers...thought I would try the wood hardener as an 'speriment. Rookie panic. Should have tried on something inconsequential. I wasn't expecting the swelling and didn't relish the thought of having to rebuild/redrill a new avbay.

I swore I would never touch this stuff again after seeing how big it got. Now? Meh, I might use it again, the avbay has a nice structure to it and is impervious to a fingernail. Not stiffer, but tougher.

Price of an education! #AlwaysLearning!

Last edited:
It's my understanding that there are two different types of Minwax Wood Hardener... Which one did you use (send photos).

Back