Micromaxx 144th-72nd PMC's (Plastic Model Conversions)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Plastic Model Conversion is one of the NAR competitions that has always been lots of fun. Many in the hobby refer to it as "Plastic Death" or "Plastic Re-kitting 101".

I just find it a bit of a challange to make non-flying plastic models fly under rocket power. Adding tiny size and Micro-Maxx power to the mix just seems like a perfect fit to me.

I'm pretty sure I've done a couple build threads on these tiny models in TFR-1, so I won't re-post but thought it might be time to again bring up the idea of Micronized tiny Plastic models to see if anyone else has stumbled across the notion?

Just for fun I'll post pics of a few of my coversions but I'm really hoping to get some others to post pics of there creations.

My very first Micro Maxx PMC was a 1/40th Revell LaCrosse Missile with mobile Working Launcher Truck.
Not only was it super fun figuring out how to make the missile fly (it took what seemed like a TON of nose weight) but also working out a way to launch it from it's mobile truck transport/launcher. That's NOT required for PMC competition but a KEWL addition I think.
The answer was to insert and pin in a .049" x 14" Stainless steel launch rod in part of the truck launch tube. While the jet exhaust wouldn't be in contact with much of the plastic long it might have been long enough for damage so a nomex cloth shield is extended from the back of the truck. and the entire model/launcher is inclined on a mound to get the launch angle within about 5° of vertical.
As it stands alone the LaCrosse missile tips the scale at 11grams giving it a 12.1 gram LOWt. To date best flight altitiude is about 35feet on an almost vertical flight, around 30 feet at 5° with no wind. Recovers with a 1/2" x 12" white teflon streamer that's all I had room for. This model has 4 recorded flights. Placing 3rd in one open meet.
The Contest Data packet standing behind the model contains all the kit conformation data, photos & info needed for the PMC judges to static score the model.

Sorry the photos I have were taken with an older digital camera so they are not very clear, and as usual I completely missed the launches so no flight pics at all:(

MM 223a2_Lacrosse PMC_10-08-99.jpg

MM 223b2_Lacorsse PMC_10-08-99.jpg

another Revell kit re-released in 2001 was 1/40th AeroBee Hi. This Rocket is of interest to me as my parents both were involved with the NRL sounding rocket program using these rockets. While the Kit is a two staged boosted version I modeled it as a single stage with a clear tube spanning structure between the two. This one is really on the heavy size at 12.4g giving very minimal flights. recovery with a 3/4" x 18" Teflon orange streamer.
Displays on it's mobile trailer launcher but does not fly from it.

A pretty neat looking model and build but a rather bad flyer. this model has only 2 flights.

MM 224a1-sm_AeroBee-Hi_PMC_08-08-01.jpg

It took a couple years to get back to looking for more Plastic Models that could be MMX converted as well as a decent source for lots of Plastic model options.
I think one of the best Subject resource finds has been www.Squadron.com on-line. There are any number of on-line plastic model shops including most of the manufacturers but for sheer volumn choices Squadron has given much to my Stockpile.

Size or Scale is also something that is SUPER important when trying to find suitable PMC candidates keeping in mind we want to try hard to keep our finished empty mass to 10grams or under. That's not always possible and I have some REALLY heavy PMC's that do fly but just barely by anyones standards. Look for1/200, 1/144th, 1/100 and some 1/72nd models can be scrapped out to lower the mass.

Speaking of 1/200 scale. If you are lucky enough to run across an AMT #30037 Man in Space set you well have done yourself a great prize! every model in this set can be converted for flight including the tiny 1/200th LEM's from both the Saturn-V and Saturn-1B in the kit. 3 of the 5 models can directly be MMX converted the Merc-Redstone, Merc-Atlas & Gemini Titan, adding the LEM's brings makes 4. Both Saturns convert for 18mm motors as well.

A bit of warning about the Gemini-Titan it was originally set up for 10.5mm motors which fit perfectly but when Apogee discontinued that motors production I make an adaptor for the model. shes way heavy but does get a few feet:) If I had it to do over, i'd scrap out a good amount of the internal plastic, change the stuffer tube & ring arrangement and nose weight which would make it a much better flying model. Speaking of flying.. If you fly the Merc-Redstone in high grass conditions be sure to have several people watching the flight. I nearly lost the model on it's first flight in high mowed grass less then 12" high. on a MMX-I motor the merc-Redstone was Out of sight in a split second. Only saved by the white teflon streamer coming down.

The tiny LEM flys by Drag fin consisting of an .020" clear Polycarbonate disc epoxied to the bottom between the landing feet struts. It only took a tiny bit of noseweight to get the model stable. They are very popular at table displays and micro launch demos. I real gold leafed the lower stage for effect.

MiS-a_Man in Space 5model AMT 30037 200th (128dpi)_00.jpg

MM 249a1-sm_Merc-Redstone_200 PMC_11-29-01.jpg.jpg

MM 250a1-sm_Merc-Atlas_200 PMC_12-22-01.jpg

MM 251a1-sm_Gemini-Titan_200 PMC_12-22-01.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding! :clap:

Micro, I really do believe *you* can make anything fly. :eyepop:

What did you use to create the launch lugs on the Mercury Redstone?

Outstanding! :clap:

Micro, I really do believe *you* can make anything fly. :eyepop:

What did you use to create the launch lugs on the Mercury Redstone?

LOL! Thanks Mikus! That's a very nice compliment.

Launch lugs for micro Scale and many of the PMC's are spiral wound 2 strip Paper/Elmers glue lugs. These strips are rolled around a .049 to .052" music wire "mandrel" sprayed with a little mold release. the first strip is spiraled down the mandrel in one direction, taped to the end and a tiny bit of elmers rubbed on with a finger. The 2nd strip is started from the opposite direction rolled as tightly as practical then taped and a bit more glue applied. after the glue as had a chance to dry the taped ends are removed and the tube slide off the mandrel.
Matter of fact I have a page pictorial of this process that may be more helpful than explaining the process in words.
I've always thought scale projects need to have lugs that don't detract from the overall model. Making tiny tubes has helped a bunch when I don't want to bother using a tower to launch.

Hope this will help a little

Tiny Tube making-01.jpg

Tiny Tube making-02.jpg

Tiny Tube making-04.jpg

Tiny Tube making-05.jpg

Tiny Tube making-06.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a great example of an off scale 1/130 kit by a french company Heller, that just falls right into the perfect size for Micro Maxx flying.
This little X-15 kit sold I think for around 5 bucks..7 if you include shipping.

With just a little work, it was good enough to take home a 3rd place Naram PMC event trophy. Fly's so nicely, I fly it just for fun now.

X15-a_Heller #80202 (MMX) 130th_2001.jpg

MM 252e1_X15 130th cutout & page_12-21-01.jpg

MM 252a1-sm_ X-15 130th PMC_12-21-01.jpg

MM 252b1_X-15 onpad_12-27-01.jpg

Sometimes throwing mass caution to the winds we can convert a bit larger and heavier models by grinding & scraping out the inside walls of a few of these tempting 1/72nd scale Plastic models.

The Bell X-1 was/is such an animal. Spending some time with a mototool with a couple different diameter drum sanding plugs can remove a good amount of excess weight without harming the outer look of the model.

During 2003's Centennial of Flight the AIAA ask our club to help with some sort of Flying Scale Rocket powered Vehicles Exhibit. We came up with a 14 model, 1/70th+/- tribuite to the Space Flight program starting with Goddards 1926 rocket to the Satrun Moon rockets and Space Shuttle. One of these was the Bell-X1. A 1/72 PMC flying on a single MMX-II, heart stopping flight...well yes, but a flight none the less LOL!!!
NO it's not a great flying PMC model by any measure; only getting about 15 or 18 feet but enough to make a safe and successful flight. Recovering on a small 10" 1/4mil mylar chute. Very Tight quarters but it works:) At 18.65grams it's one of my heaviest Micro Models and can only be flown on dead calm, warm days.
That said, She has popped off the pad twice and successfully deployed the chute in time to have only broken off a single wheel on the 2nd flight.

Some other 1/72 jet model are also possible by this scrap-out method, Tho I tend now to try hard to say with the 144th or 100th scale sizes;)

MM 254a2-sm_Bell  X-1 72th PMC_12-29-01.jpg

AIAA CentennialofFlight Exhibit _Bell X-1_@ Tarc-1-c_05-10-03.jpg

Last edited:
These next few are in the 1/144th scale size and while a bit larger then the 1/200 can still be pretty darn challanging to get to fit up and finish.

when I built my 1/144th Airfix Satrun-V 3 D12 cluster I saved the little plastic LEM thinking it might also work as a PMC in the Micro Maxx power level. sure enough it was a good bit easier to convert then the 1/200 scale and flys just about the same LOL!! Again using a .030" clear Polycaronate drag disc fin it's nice and stable popping the streamer at about 20feet.

The other two projects were an F-104 and F16-XL. both were part of a Vacation building spree at the beach. Painting was done with those little testors bottle paints right there on the front porch of the trailer. After a bit of rubbing with Finissit-II it's very hard to tell these hand brushed applications from Spary Can painted models. Because I wanted to do a target drone color scheme on the F-104 I had to wait until I got back to the house to redraw and print the proper decals, it's amazing what a few decals do to the overall appearance of a model.

Likewise the F16-XL was hand painted with flats that were a bit harder to control flow wise at the humid beach. It's still an Ok job but I'll use another method should I decide to build another.

Overall I think these jets are my favorite flying Micro PMC's.

MM 286a3-sm_F104g 2-pic painted PMC_10-13-03.jpg

MM 287a3-sm_F16 2-pic144thPMC complete_10-16-03.jpg

Last edited:
The last or at least latest Micro PMC in the fleet... It certainly won't be the last LOL!!!

Was actually done on a dare: One of the other club members saw this Lindberg 1/180th scale model and made the statement that while it was a nifty looking model is was to small to be converted for 13mm and WAY to heavy to be flown on MMX motors.

I had to disagree:) It was just a Challange for a 6x micro Cluster LOL!!! As a matter of fact the 6 motor exhaust ports were a perfect fit for T2+ tubing right out of the box. I simply had no choice LOL!!!!

So The XB-70 Valkyrie project was undertaken while on vacation as well:)

I'll show a couple of the internal construction shots to show the 6 motor cluster manifold and offset tubing to the upper section. No it's not a great flyer...only getting about 15feet of total altitude but it, is in fact a flying PMC LOL!! sometimes it's not altitude that makes the flight..rather the challange of making the conversion. One of the little things not easily seen is that model sits and displays wheels down but flys Wheels up with the gear doors closed.

MM 337h-sm_XB-70 Valkyrie 180th Micro Cluster PMC_09-10-07.jpg

MM 337b3-sm_Cluster Manifold 1st glued_08-22-07.JPG

MM 337b6-sm_Fit-up cluster lower section_08-24-07.JPG

MM 337d4-sm_taper cut and fit T3 stuffer tube_08-26-07.jpg

MM 337Lp01a2-sm_6x MMX Cluster Valkyrie neartop_09-22-07.jpg

Last edited:
:y: :y: :y: I knew you were good, but wow! Is there anything you haven't done?!

Tom

P.S How many rockets do you have in your fleet by the way? You seem to have an infinite number!

Last edited:
:y: :y: :y: I knew you were good, but wow! Is there anything you haven't done?!

Tom

P.S How many rockets do you have in your fleet by the way? You seem to have an infinite number!

Thanks Tom;
Right now your comments are most welcome. To be sure there are many things i've not had the time to dabble in LOL!!!
One of the things I like to pass on to those I have the please of tutoring in our learning endeavors is to try and experiment in and with as many "new" things as possible. Ya just never know when we'll stumble on a method, technique or compeletely new subject that makes everything else in life just a little easier or at least more interesting:)

My Fleets OH Man! We try not to dwell to long on such subjects....ya know those the better 2/3rds really doesn't need to know;)
Please remember i've been doing this since the 60's. While I only have a handful of those models still flying i've accumulated a pretty vast number along the way. That said, not counting all the multiple copies of competition type models, models under construction or repair, my current Flyable fleet numbers are:
Standard, PMC & Odd-Roc,Gliders LPR's & Upscale LMRs: 284
Current flyable Micros (all types): 170
Hope this helps or at least gives you a laugh:)

I have built the Heller kit in the past that MicroM is talking about and after getting it stable, it turned out to be a sweet looker and decent flier.

Carl

Latest posts

Back