Method for mounting a keychain cam

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocketeer Gator

Reaction score
I know most of ya just tape your keychain cams on but last year I lost one doing it that way.So I started doing this...
What I use:
8-32 x 3/4" flat slotted screw & nut
5 min epoxy
chopped carbon fiber
80 grit sandpaper
part of a button snap (a flat washer can also be used)

8484385296_9a169708f7.jpg

First an area is sanded with the 80 grit for good bonding.

8483290895_bab3f82305.jpg

With a small amount of 5 min epoxy, the screw is epoxied about 1/3 away from where keychain was attached.This will give the cam a slight angle away from the BT.Thick CA would also work for this.

8484383184_0569df3873.jpg

With a mix of the 5 min epoxy and chopped fiber.Apply a small amount of the mix around the screw then slide on the button half or washer.Spread a bit more of the epoxy mix around making a small fillet.If your a bit sloppy and get any epoxy on the screw threads make sure to thread on a nut before it fully sets and back off to "clean" the threads.

8484382222_3187e9349a.jpg

Now the cam can be mounted where ever you like just by drilling a hole for the screw and tighten it with a nut on the booster BT,payload BT,or like this pic on the switch band.

8484381322_9fb6360c4a.jpg

Worked like a charm here mounted to booster section at 575mph over a mile....liftoff at 1:10

[video=youtube;qM2b38TiYJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM2b38TiYJQ&list=UUU2k7qa-mu5O1DMLfhHBMXw&index=7[/video]

[video=youtube;qM2b38TiYJQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qM2b38TiYJQ&list=UUU2k7qa-mu5O1DMLfhHBMXw&index=7[/video]

You can tell that it's not a fully rigid connection, though, because the rocket and fins appear wiggly from the camera's rolling shutter.

I guess a few seconds rolling shutter is acceptable to me.After losing $40 in cam and 8gig card this is what I started doing.If you can get tape to hold at high speeds and without rolling shutter effect,go for it.

Good idea!! Nice Molly Hatchet rocket name too. Got a Contour HD camera from the better half for Christmas. Takes great video but I'm not willing to hang it off the side. Might have to invest in one of those key chain cams like yours.

Good idea!! Nice Molly Hatchet rocket name too. Got a Contour HD camera from the better half for Christmas. Takes great video but I'm not willing to hang it off the side. Might have to invest in one of those key chain cams like yours.

Yea I can't see hanging one of those Contours off the side either, though it has been done.
Here's a link to a good keychain cam at Amazon and you would need an 8GB micro SD card but total of both is right at $20.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice! I was wondering if the camera might twist or spin with only a single attachment point but it looks pretty solid in your video. If you don't have a button snap you could use a "finishing washer" and get a similar stand-off...better than a flat washer.

I just wrap mine (a #16) with many wraps of electrical tape, all the way around the rocket body. Sticky+tight and the flights and descents are dead-stable. Example:

[video=youtube;-GHmXoWDgPk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GHmXoWDgPk[/video]

(yes, of all the places that could have possibly landed... it found the worst)

I have used ordinary blue masking tape with success. Just be sure to make a tape "fairing" to keep the forward end of the cam from catching air and lifting off the body tube. Easy-peasy.

Back