Mentors for High Power Rocketry Competition

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shirley S

Mechanical Engineering Student- Senior Year
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am the project lead for the rocketry team at my university for the 2021-2022 school year. This summer we are working on a level I rocket to get practice before the competition starts in the Fall where we will use a level II.

In this forum I am humbly seeking and asking for volunteers that have a passion for rocketry and like competition to be our mentors this summer.

We will hold virtual meetings in which we present our designs and analysis results prior to construction and launch.

We are a group of hard working students ready to put in the long hours and learn as much as we can! This project is one of the least preferred in our school for senior design because it is notorious for being extremely hard and a lot of work but we signed up for it and have started getting to work!

What is your region and do you have a launch site planned? My wife and I might be able to assist also.

I might be able to help you. Can you share some details about the competition, and we'll see if it's in my wheelhouse?

Thank you so much for taking the time to consider!
We will compete in the NASA USLI that usually starts around late August. For the past three years the main requirements were to pick a goal altitude between 5,000-3,500 ft. The vehicle has a limit of four sections maximum. Each year a different payload requirement is given.

What is your region and do you have a launch site planned? My wife and I might be able to assist also.

We are in the Middle East coast area! Our launch date is August 7th/8th! We are working with a short timeline to get an idea of the fast pace the competition will have. Thank you so much for taking the time to consider!

We are in the middle east coast of U.S. area! Our launch date is August 7th/8th! We are working with a short timeline to get an idea of the fast pace the competition will have. Thank you so much for taking the time to consider!

We are in the Middle East coast area! Our launch date is August 7th/8th! We are working with a short timeline to get an idea of the fast pace the competition will have. Thank you so much for taking the time to consider!

I am the Prefect and run a club in South Carolina near Columbia / Shaw AFB. We could host your flight and have a number of members that would offer mentorship.

I'm a member of the Maryland-Delaware Rocketry Association, have held a level 2 cert for fifteen years, and was in the top three at Rockets for Schools every year from 2002-2005. We fly in northeastern Maryland on the peninsula side. I guess you can choose whichever one of us works better for you.

Only thing for me is I'm not sure if I would be able to make it to Huntsville in spring next year. I would have to discuss with my family and see if I could pull that off.

We will compete in the NASA USLI that usually starts around late August. For the past three years the main requirements were to pick a goal altitude between 5,000-3,500 ft. The vehicle has a limit of four sections maximum. Each year a different payload requirement is given.

Shirley,

1624722454503.png

Considering that the competition was announced late last December, you are getting a very late start ( almost 7 months ) . . . Talking back & forth here on an online Forum wastes precious time, since you have less than 8 weeks left, before the competition starts.

How far along is your Team in completing the necessary prerequisites outlined in the Handbook ?

As I understand it, there are a lot of testing and documentation requirements, throughout the 8-month long time period in question . . .

Is this what you are referring to ?

https://www.nasa.gov/stem/studentlaunch/handbook/index.html

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2020_2021_slhandbook.pdf

Hitting 3,500 - 5,500 ft AGL with an HPR rocket is a "cake walk" . . .

The only "significant challenge", from my perspective, would be the Payload requirements, particularly the "Lander".

1624723122258.png
1624723167184.png

I am located in the Raleigh area of North Carolina.

Dave F.

Last edited:
Shirley,

View attachment 470343

Considering that the competition was announced late last December, you are getting a very late start ( almost 7 months ) . . . Talking back & forth here on an online Forum wastes precious time, since you have less than 8 weeks left, before the competition starts.

How far along is your Team in completing the necessary prerequisites outlined in the Handbook ?

As I understand it, there are a lot of testing and documentation requirements, throughout the 8-month long time period in question . . .

Is this what you are referring to ?

https://www.nasa.gov/stem/studentlaunch/handbook/index.html

https://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/atoms/files/2020_2021_slhandbook.pdf

Hitting 3,500 - 5,500 ft AGL with an HPR rocket is a "cake walk" . . .

The only "significant challenge", from my perspective, would be the Payload requirements, particularly the "Lander".

View attachment 470344
View attachment 470345

I am located in the Raleigh area of North Carolina.

Dave F.
Hello Dave,

Every year is a different team of engineering students doing this competition for their Senior Design I & II courses. This summer is the earliest we could start.At the end of August they will make the new handbook available so we know what our competition is.

Latest posts

Back