May Come Back to an old Hobby (not rocket related)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRAGON64

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My true hobby is collecting hobbies to throw money at...

But one hobbie that did not get off the ground for very long, was RC sail plane flying. While looking through my old files on my new laptop, I happened across a folder that contained my one and only sail plane venture (circa 2006); I had a Tower Hobbies Vista and a Spektrum DX5 radio... although the plane was basically a flying sales ad, it was still a beauty:

IMG_0126.JPG

One and only flight...

johnnie and vista.jpg

NASF Nov 26 2006.jpg

Not sure if it be a wise move, especially since the hobbie equipment has up and moved on since I last dabbled... I would not know where to start. I do know that a variant of the Vista is offered at Tower, but it is now a prop job, so you do not need the rubber band launch ground support...

Thoughts? Maybe some options to look at in radios... say a 5 to 6 channel in 2.4ghz(?)

The Vista is a great sailplane. I still fly one. It is basically a clone of the Great Planes Spirit, which was a fabulous sailplane. I do not generally like powered sailplanes, but due to convenience at the time, I converted mine to powered. I also have a Vista Grande which is the 100" version. You would do well with either the 2 meter or the 100" version. I also like that they are of conventional balsa and ply construction vs the foam that has taken over. Most all the radios are good. Recommend an absolute minimum of 6 channels. I still use 72MHz. BTW....your previous launch system is called a Hi-start. Have fun!

One growing facet of R/C sailplanes in recent years (fueled in part by the ever increasing cost of high performance molded thermal duration sailplanes) is a genre known as F3RES (F3 is the FAI designation for sailplanes not equipped with a propulsion system), and the “RES” refers to Rudder Elevator Spoiler. These are typically available as kits with built up flying surfaces and fuselages. You may want to do a search on F3RES to see if there is something that appeals to you.

Perhaps it is the change of season…. The other week at the Albemarle Rocketry Club launch I too started thinking about pulling a sailplane out of storage and getting fresh batteries for my transmitter and airborne pack, getting it airworthy, and bringing it to their next launch, since they share their field with a local r/c club. That field includes a full scale grass runway, so I’m confident I could lay out either a hi-start or a winch. Either that or I dust off an electric powered control line stunter and bring that along.

I bought an all foam Radian (electric) sailplane, nice radio, then had to sell it to help make a house payment. 🤬 It's cheap, crash worthy, goes out of sight quickly, flies majestically, cool looking design similar to the original Hobie Hawk, leaves money for rockets. As you know you can sink thousands quickly into the hobby.
This is my favorite sailplane and video. Super AVA Pro filmed in Asia, perfect angelic music, and a lonely Kite bird who shows up to fly with the sailplane. I've been watching this for 6 years now.

This is the Radian. just watch the first minute to see it fly. Paul Naton is an expert flyer and makes fantastic sailplane videos,

Last edited:
I'm thinking of building it some day. I had one when I was a teen and flew it. It brings back memories. I had bought it from this site some time ago: https://www.oldmodelkits.com/
Ok, thanks. If you change your mind my email is. [email protected]
I was taught to fly by the man who designed the Hi-Pro (Harley Michaelis)who became a friend and mentor. It was the 1st r/c glider I built and flew in early 70s. So I understand an emotional connection. Best wishes

You do you, not what others says what you do.
If you want to throw money at it and can afford, no one should you say you can't or shouldn't. Or force your decision to go for it.
Personally, the radio controlled thing never interested me, But....
If the bird had multiple cockpit cameras, and real type cockpit on the ground surrounded with monitors so you get the fell you are really up there with the bird. That would interest me. But...I could never afford it. I can dream can't I? Oh wait, yes I can!

You do you, not what others says what you do.
If you want to throw money at it and can afford, no one should you say you can't or shouldn't. Or force your decision to go for it.
Personally, the radio controlled thing never interested me, But....
If the bird had multiple cockpit cameras, and real type cockpit on the ground surrounded with monitors so you get the fell you are really up there with the bird. That would interest me. But...I could never afford it. I can dream can't I? Oh wait, yes

I'm thinking of building it some day. I had one when I was a teen and flew it. It brings back memories. I had bought it from this site some time ago: https://www.oldmodelkits.com/
Steven, if you'd be willing to let it go, I would offer $300 + shipping. At my age, the odds of finding another are pretty much nil. Unless I hear back from you, I promise not to bother you about it again. Respectfully, Jerry Giles, Mt. Vernon, WA. [email protected]

Back