May Best Rocket Competition - OPEN-ALL POWER CLASSES

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pantherjon

Reaction score
Please go visit our sponsor this month, Hot Rod Rocket Shop, I am sure you will find something there that you want to get! :) Now, on to the contest, and remember this is the LPR contest..;)

This is the official location of The Rocketry Forum Best Rocket Competition. This is a monthly event to show off your "stuff" and find out who has THE BEST ROCKET OF THE MONTH! When entering, make sure you follow the criteria listed below and you will do fine. From the 21st(or there about) until the end of the month we'll be polling to see who should win the Best Rocket Competition.

Double check to make sure you entering in the correct 'power level' thread! Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!). The thread titles will reflect the power level: XXX Best Rocket Competition LPR or XXX Best Rocket Competition MPR/HPR.

Da Rulez

1. Header of picture should include, name, what kit or was it custom, LPR, MPR or HPR. Example: LPR Estes Hijinx..Put this in the 'title' block when posting.
2. A BRIEF description of rocket details. Anything that would make it apparent to somebody that yours is THE BEST.
3. Only ONE entry per person per month(no entering BOTH LPR and MPR/HPR in a single given month!).
4. Please no extended off topic conversations.
5. Rockets made at any period of time may be used.Rocket needs to be in your possession/fleet at the time of the competition!
5A. Rockets entered MUST have at least one successful flight. Not simulated, but real world flying through the sky type..with successful recovery.
5b. If proof of a successful flight is documented and the rocket suffers a loss in a subsequent flight, it is still eligible for consideration and will be judged in the 'prior to loss' state.
6. Rocket may be entered into the current months competition only ONCE! Rocket may be entered into a following months competition if it fits the given category.
7. If there is a monthly specified type of contest (such as red, white and blue themed), you can only enter rockets that are applicable.
8. Entries will be taken first 3 weeks of month and after the 21st of every month the contest closes.
9. The last week of the month we will be polling on who should win in each class.
10. Winners get bragging rights for a month!

Theme

OPEN - ALL POWER CLASSES
See here for BONUS POINTS eligibility guidelines...

Theme for this month is 'Kit Bash' so just about anything goes! If your unfamiliar with the term 'Kit Bash', it is taking a kit and making it something either radically or not so radically different then the original design. One example would be to change a 2-stage kit to single stage or vice versa. If unsure, ask away!

So, show us your awesome builds!

Remember detail, details, details! So don't be shy, include extra photos of the little bits that make YOUR model extra special!
If you entry is a kit, let us know who's kit it is!

PRIZE(S)

Prize this month from our awesome sponsor Hot Rod Rocket Shop is a 'Graft Bag o' Goodies' valued in excess of $30.00!

So, let's get those entries in!

Last edited:
So, nothing extra? You get a kit and use ONLY what comes with it including packaging, bag, box,instruction,ect. Not the shipping box. Is this how its gona work? I ask, cuz I was asked to ask,so Im asking. Like if I wanted to add MMTs but they didnt come with kit,that legal?

Last edited:
So, nothing extra? You get a kit and use ONLY what comes with it including packaging, bag, box,instruction,ect. Not the shipping box. Is this how its gona work?
Pretty much..Extra 'stuff' can be added within reason...
I ask, cuz I was asked to ask,so Im asking. Like if I wanted to add MMTs but they didnt come with kit,that legal?

Sure..If you want to make a single engine rocket into a cluster that would work..

The point of a 'Kit Bash' is to 'mostly' use just what was provided in the original kit- otherwise it becomes basically a scratch built rocket...

Say, for example, you have an Interceptor-E kit, and you want to make it look like an F-18 by reshaping the wings and the vertical stabs, and while at it make it a 2 engine cluster(cuz an F-18 has 2 engines), that would work...

So we have to kit bash a kit by the sponsor and have it done by the 21st of May? Correct?

Then we just post the pictures of it here on this thread with changes that were done??

Last edited:
So we have to kit bash a kit by the sponsor and have it done by the 21st of May? Correct?

Then we just post the pictures of it here on this thread with changes that were done??

Can be from any manufacturer...Post pictures of rocket and describe the changes made from the stock configuration..Just remember that the rocket entered needs to have at least one successful flight and safe recovery..

You have an Interceptor-E kit, and you want to make it look like an F-18 by reshaping the wings and the vertical stabs, and while at it make it a 2 engine cluster(cuz an F-18 has 2 engines), that would work...
I thought that was Top Secret info? ;) EDIT-What ,no humor here.jeeezzzzzzzz TWs

Last edited:
Right, let's get this contest started.

Take one Fliskits Tres. Replace the solid balsa coupler with a scratch-built one made from tubing and heavy paper. Fit a long piece of tubing with a pair of partial centring rings which will act as baffles, put 2/3 of the genuine Tres motor mount on the end, and make a third, longer motor mount which is plumbed into the end of the long tube. Cut the main body tube of the Tres in half, glue this modified motor mount into one half, and glue the scratch-built coupler into the top end of the other half; a scratch-built piston made from a scrap piece of tubing and some card goes into the bottom end.

Fit the third original motor mount with a pair of centring rings and stick into what would have been the upper body tube of the Tres.

The net result is that one of the motor mounts in the original location is plumbed up to the new motor mount in the upper section. The other two will blow the lower section in half. Three To One goes up looking like a standard Tres, then the upper section, ignited by a piece of quickmatch running through the plumbing, stages off. Both units are recovered by streamer.

coupler_small.jpg

motor_mount_small.jpg

piston_small.jpg

What to do with all those Alpha III from the BSA closeout sale? Here you go. I took two Alpha III kits and utilized every part from both kits except one shock cord and parachute.

IMG_2405151.jpg

The body tubes were joined by a cold-air diversion baffle made completely of recycled materials. The coupler is an E9 motor block assembly tube cut in half. One half was split down the middle to make it nice and snug in the BT-50 tubing. If hind sight were 20/20, I should have just used masking tape instead of the other piece of tubing. The bulk plates were cut from a leftover fiber cutouts from a 3x24mm Cluster from Mercury Engineering.

IMG_2382c.jpg

The diversion tubes were cut from AT 29mm igniter tubes. Recovery attachment used the second small eye bolt epoxied in the center of the four out tubes. Shock cords consisted of contractors line and the stock Estes rubber shock cord (mistake).

IMG_2395c.jpg

IMG_2397c.jpg

IMG_2399c.jpg

One of the reasons for doing this bash is both fin cans had some significant misshaped fins. I did a pretty decent job straightening them out using heat from the stove top and sandwiching between some shelving material.

Motor mount assembly for the sustainer is stock per the instructions using the blue Estes motor tube (mistake). Motor retention uses the stock clip with the tab cut down a bit.

The booster motor mount assembly consists of shaving down the inner tabs (ridges, whatever you call them) so the modified center rings can sit higher up towards the top of the MM. The second nose cone was also cut into a tail cone and cemented in place. Motor retention is by friction fit.

First and only flight so far was on a B6-0 to A8-5. Apparently I didn't get a good glue joint on one of the two lugs but was easily cobbled with some tape. It was a completely straight flight with very little spin despite the fins not being 100% straight. It staged well and chute deployed a touch after apogee.

AlphaIII-2.jpg

Unfortunately the rubber shock cord broke and the sustainer came in ballistic. Remarkably, it stuck in an area close to a sprinkler head with absolutely zero damage.

IMG_2405158.jpg

The nose cone and parachute are still in the tree. The baffle worked great with zero discoloration on the shock cord. The motor mount on the sustainer was burned badly and needs to be replaced. I'm not sure if the blue Estes motor tubes are just too wimpy or perhaps I need to drill a vent hole for staging.

IMG_24082.jpg

Nevertheless, It looks great, flew great and is easily repaired to fly again.

Deadline is being extended until midnight eastern time(or when I get home from work-whichever is latest) of the 23rd so you procrastinators can get your flights in this weekend.;)

I am also opening up the contest theme to OPEN-ALL POWER CLASSES . If you submit(as our 2 entries so far have) a LPR that fits the kit bash theme you will recieve 2 bonus points..

So, let's see some rockets!:wink:

Last edited:
The Wizi Cruise 2 started life as an ordinary Wizard, but now it is a 12" nuclear tipped terrorism deterrent. Coming in at slightly less than $5.00 a pop, it is a real bargain compared to even an old school $600,000 Tomahawk.

But don't let the bargain basement price fool you. This is no low bid machine. This 12" technological wonder is the cruise missile of the future. It can be launched from land, sea or air. You can carry a couple hundred of these in the footprint of just one full size cruise missile. And don't even get me started on the fuel savings.

Want to instill fear into the heart of your favorite terrorist next Valentine's Day? Send her a reaper with one of these babies tucked under its wing and watch for the ensuing fun on You Tube. Can't wait until Valentine's Day? Have Santa deliver her one right down the chimney. The Wizi Cruise 2 is a perfect gift for any occasion.

In closing, remember that a vote for Wizi Cruise 2 is a vote for freedom.

Wizi Cruise 2 side .jpg

Wizi Cruise 2 side b.jpg

Wizi Cruise bottom.jpg

Wizi Cruise 2 rear.jpg

Wizi Cruise 2 reas b.jpg

Last edited:
Seems I forgot to put the date in my post above..The deadline is midnight EDT(or when I get home from work-whichever is later) on the 23rd..Tomorrow, Monday, you got it?:eek:

So, let's see some rockets!:wink: Remember ALL CLASSES and ANYTHING..However, IF your rocket fits the original theme you will receive 2 BONUS points(votes){provided there are entries that do not fit the original theme, if no entries are posted outside of the original theme no bonus points will be awarded}

ASROC.png

This is a scratch built ASROC, she has flown several times on f motors and has always been a delight to fly. The ASROC is as near to scale as possible and is modeled after the anti-submarine rocket now in use by the USN.

Back