MAWD vs. RRC2-mini Altimeter

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AKPilot

Reaction score
Let the debate begin . . .

I was getting ready to sign the check for a MAWD, but then caught the glimpse (reviews) of the RRC2-Mini from Missileworks. I've done a search and it all seems "6's"; meaning, six of one, half dozen of another.

So what's your opinion? Am totally up in the air, again, on this.

Now leaning towards the RRC2-Mini . . .

Wish I could help--I haven't used Jim's new mini but have some experience with the older versions first hand, and since Jim is a club member, collectively we have thousands of flights with MissileWorks products including beta testing of the mini.

Bottom line both are superb products with great tech support. If you ever plan on using one in a 24mm rocket, the choice is clear--MAWD. If you want more than a few data points, again the MAWD is the product of choice, but need to buy an additional adapter.

Otherwise get whichever seems most friendly. I believe both user manuals are available on-line.

How does the data output (downloaded) compare... which gives you more info and how is it displayed?

The Mawd displays altitude (baro based) vs time. The slope is the velocity. With some finesse you can get Cd estimates. The mini MW has at this point no provision for a PC link IIRC.

So I believe all you get is apogee in ',peak velocity, time to apogee, along with a launch counter. For a lot of folk its all they want or need.

I'd love to hear personal experiences, if possible . . .

Probably am not into all of the data entries, only ejection charges (for DD), and some basic data points. Also, don't plan on flying it in anything less than 3" diameter.

I had a Mawd "failure"--actually it just came in ballistic when the second stage didn't light and was there for data collection purposes. The big cap sheared off and I could not retrieve the data. At no charge, PerfectFlite fixed it, did the data retrieval and sent me the file. That I believe is called going the extra mile. I have heard of similar stories with Jims products. I have never had one fail, but then these were there for detection and deploy, I now never rely on motor ejection esp on a 2 stage rocket using BP motors and flashbulb/cannon fuse ignition. :eek::eek::eek:

The PerfectFlite MAWD is a barometrically based dual deployment flight computer with data logging for $99.95 + $19.95 for the data cable that fits in a 24 mm BT. The MAWD uses a capacitive discharge pyro circuit that can supply up to 27 amps for a short period of time.

The Missileworks RRC2-mini is a barometrically based dual deployment flight computer without data logging for $79.95 that fits in a 29 mm BT. The RRC2-mini can employ a second pyro battery.

The PerfectFlite HA45 dual event altimeter is the PerfectFlite equivalent of the Missileworks RRC2-mini for $79.95. Other than minor feature variations, they look functionally equivalent.

To datalog or not datalog, that is the question. Otherwise flip a coin between the RRC2-mini and the HA45.

Bob

To datalog or not datalog, that is the question. Otherwise flip a coin between the RRC2-mini and the HA45.

Bob

Okay - cool. That's exactly where I am with it, and was thinking the same thing. Good to know I'm not way off base in my way of thinking...lol

Sounds like I won't go wrong with either choice then, eh?

I'm partial to the RRC2, but both would be great choices for your application.

I have never flown the RRC2, but my trusty MAWD has over 50 flights without a single failure. So naturally I have a soft spot for the MAWD.
I just ordered an HA45 and I expect the same reliability, just no data logging.

I am a huge fan of PF... I own two MAWD's and a mini timer... So easy to use, I mean the data my MC2 gives me is unbeatable but for reliability its always the MAWD...

I have flown probably 2 dozen flights between my two units on all kinds of rockets..

It has deployed chutes after super low alt cato's, crashed from tangled chutes, everything... You name it... It never causes problems...

I did chat with Jim and check out his new unit though, he seems like a great guy and his product is neat...

I think either way you will be happy...

And the data I get from the MAWD is actually pretty neat, you can get an idea of how the descent rate changed at main chute deployment by the slope change in the graph...

Also my last flight (MC2 and MAWD both onboard) went supersonic and both the MC2 and MAWD's baro data (USE MACH DELAY!!!) showed a recessed curve right where the accelerometer said it went supersonic... It was really cool to see how it altered the baro data for a few seconds (probably because it went in and out of mach relativiliy quick... 1.3 mach max speed if I recall currectly).... Good way to "prove" your rocket went supersonic, or atleast transonic.

Aw, man, is this a tough decision!

Now I'm back to the MAWD, with using a Missile Works arming switch. My only disadvantage is that I don't know how to solder yet.

I have and use (4) RRC2's None of them have ever failed using different E-Matches including ALL the ones I dipped myself (Quickburst) Jim from MW has been great to deal with as well, I also just got (3) RRC2 Mini's 2 will be used in my Mad Dog 6 (see Build in HPR) Thing Is I haven't used them in the field as of yet Hopefully this Sunday weather permitting. I did however Hook one up and cycle through all it features and it was a Snap! I Love it! It Holds the date from your last flight even if power is lost, Beeps out your Battery Voltage, Has a Lock Out If the Batters power is too Low, Has 2 Different Beep sounds when using 2 in the same kit (Redundant) to Identify which ones beeping!, Has a Buzz sound after Beeping out Altitude so ya know were and when to start counting, Theses are just some of its function and features as every thing is adjustable from mach drogue main etc etc. Also those features are there IF you want them? If Not just run it standard DD with Drogue at apogee and with the flick of one switch main at 500 or 1000. Needless to say I'm a fan of the RRC2 Mini.

Troy,

Not for nothing but when I did my first altimeter flight, it was also my first dual deploy, and my level 2 cert flight. I talked to a bunch of the guys in our club and Perfect Flight came out on top. I put up the 80 bucks and installed the The PerfectFlite HA45 dual event altimeter. It has really clear instructions that even tell you if you are not gonna read the whole book, at least focus on like two or three pages.

The setup can not be simpler, two jumpers - one for Mach Delay (there was no way I was breaking mach, so really simple choice there) and one for the main chute (set mine for 700') - Done. Fit in the 4" LOC ebay with plenty of room to spare, added a N3 arming switch (the screw type) and two N3 ejection canisters (small) and done deal. Nice terminals, all clearly marked, some kind of protection about not firing ejection charges if battery is reversed, real clear audible signals, and it worked perfectly.

I am hoping that a nondenominational holiday figure brings me a 2nd one for that upcoming holiday. If something works, I like to stick with it.

Have fun,
T

I have flown both MAWD and RR2C mini. I cant help you make the decision because both are great!

You wont go wrong, whichever you pick.

Get one of each, sooner or later you will need them both. I have missile works and perfect flights due to the same predicament your in!

I have a MAWD that performed flawlessly in the middle of a rather spectacular failure. I got mine for the same price as an RRC2, but times may have changed since then. I've never used the RRC so have no comparison to make.

Back