Marco Polo shock cord attachment?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Will be trying out my Marco Polo this weekend. One rocket has a payload bay and I've mounted a tracker in it. The other rocket doesn't. I've read that others have attached to the shock cord. It looks best to put it a ways from the nose cone, but well above the parachute. So a couple of quick questions:

1. How to actually attach it. There are a couple of indentations near the ends of the circuit board, looks like zip ties may work. Or I've heard just use lots of tape. Either way, I'll make a loop in the shock cord for the attachment point.

2. That pesky antenna. As supplied, the antenna is bent over the circuit board (actually, over what looks to be the lump for the battery). I'd guess this orientation is not the best for radio reception. But where the antenna wire exits the circuit board is a bit wonky. I'm concerned that too much stress bending it the other way (away from the board) could damage something. As a static mount, that shouldn't be an issue. But on the shock cord, there is plenty of opportunity for it to get banged around quite a bit. I'm wondering if it would be good - or possibly bad - to tape the antenna wire to the cord also.

Hans.

I tied kevlar around it and snug enough. It doesn't tend to slip. That kevlar has a snap swivel on it to clip it to a shock cord. I then wrapped tape around the kevlar on it for extra security. Once I clip it to the shock cord, I wrap some masking tape around it to tape it to the shock cord as well. So far so good.

I tied kevlar around it and snug enough. It doesn't tend to slip. That kevlar has a snap swivel on it to clip it to a shock cord. I then wrapped tape around the kevlar on it for extra security. Once I clip it to the shock cord, I wrap some masking tape around it to tape it to the shock cord as well. So far so good.
Thanks.

How about the antenna? I think that is what concerns me the most. Could get damaged or hung up on something - like the parachute.

Hans.

Back