• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Makerbeam 10x10mm Rail -- Rail Guides vs. Rail Buttons -- help needed???

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigMacDaddy

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey folks -- Has anyone compared these 3D printed rail lugs -- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2082034 (or similar) -- to rail buttons or the other H/I style rail guides folks have posted about?

I printed some of these and they seem to slide on the rail quite well but I did notice that if the rocket canted some that the rail lug would bind up - as little as a degree or two was enough to bind it. I bevled the ends of the T portion and this made it better but it still binds with a few degrees cant.

My setup: I printed 2x 20mm rail guides to go around 16" apart towards the base of a 6' tall BT50 rocket.

I was thinking that a rail button would be more tolerant of rocket cant since it is round so I also played with 3D printing an actual rail button. I can get a decent little button that fits on the Makerbeam even with a .4mm nozzle on the 3D printer. Not the most beautiful since they are so small but I think with the right design and print orientation I think these can be pretty sturdy for this purpose. Again have not tested these for actual launches.

Building a setup with two 10x10mm 1.5m Makerbeams and one 20x20mm 2m rail (80/20 Brand).

I’ve flown several rockets multiple times using rail guides - no issues. I used guides because those particular rockets weren’t well suited for buttons - thin wall tubes and lightweight centering rings - much simpler to epoxy on guides rather than retrofit the reinforcement buttons would need.

I’ve flown several rockets multiple times using rail guides - no issues. I used guides because those particular rockets weren’t well suited for buttons - thin wall tubes and lightweight centering rings - much simpler to epoxy on guides rather than retrofit the reinforcement buttons would need.

Thanks -- this is great to know, it is easier / cheaper / more flexible for me to print rail guides so it is great that these do not have issues.

I cut a 2' section of rail so that I can better align these but not sure if that is easier than simply using a center line to line them up. With launch rods I usually use a piece of rod to line up straws if I will use more than one but the rail gets in the way too much to see what is going on. Maybe I will print a tab on the rail guide so I can mount it in a slot in the rocket (wonder if that will help me keep these straight). Seems like there is more tolerance with straws and launch rods.

Thanks -- this is great to know, it is easier / cheaper / more flexible for me to print rail guides so it is great that these do not have issues.

I cut a 2' section of rail so that I can better align these but not sure if that is easier than simply using a center line to line them up. With launch rods I usually use a piece of rod to line up straws if I will use more than one but the rail gets in the way too much to see what is going on. Maybe I will print a tab on the rail guide so I can mount it in a slot in the rocket (wonder if that will help me keep these straight). Seems like there is more tolerance with straws and launch rods.
I align mine by snapping a section of 1/8” launch rod (several of those around from past starter set purchases) into the center channel of the guide then lining up the whole thing along a lightly drawn pencil line, then tape it down snug with several wraps of “de-stickied” masking tape until the epoxy cures. Surely not the only way to do it but it works for me.

Back