Magnalite vs ClusterFire?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdjsky01

Kim's Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hey all,

While waiting for a reply from Rocketflite I thought, "Hey why not tap the collective on TRF?" :D:D

I was all set to pull the trigger on a Magnalite dip kit - I love that dip. :wink: I just have not had good luck with others. I am sure they are fine, and it's probably a (the) nut lose behind the keyboard that is the issue, but I like Magnalite. I've had good luck using their dip and the ML leads (and FS-12 from Firestar).

So when I get there I read about ClusterFire. Now my question. Do you guys know if ClusterFire dip is okay for use with normal ML leads as well as the MF? I undertand the low current feature of ClusterFire is probably a system of dip with MF leads.

But if you can use ClusterFire dip for both, why wouldn't you? Again I have contacted Rocketfite, just thought I would tap the collective and see if there is some know-how out in it. :D

Jeff- I really think it's just the Nichrome wire ga. that's changed, The only thing I can think of that might change would be the conductive addition of carbon (lampblack) or graphite-similar to a bridgeless formulae. I don;t see any reason you couldn't use the Cf dip on your ML and MF wires. You just don't want to overpower the bridge wire so it pops rather than ignites. Run a test to make sure it's continuity safe. I'm working on packaging 2 milliamp continuity checkers, but it's not really high on the priority list. I've used the prototype for about six months now and it seems to work well so far. My farthings worth, YMMV.

Hey all,

While waiting for a reply from Rocketflite I thought, "Hey why not tap the collective on TRF?" :D:D

I was all set to pull the trigger on a Magnalite dip kit - I love that dip. :wink: I just have not had good luck with others. I am sure they are fine, and it's probably a (the) nut lose behind the keyboard that is the issue, but I like Magnalite. I've had good luck using their dip and the ML leads (and FS-12 from Firestar).

So when I get there I read about ClusterFire. Now my question. Do you guys know if ClusterFire dip is okay for use with normal ML leads as well as the MF? I undertand the low current feature of ClusterFire is probably a system of dip with MF leads.

But if you can use ClusterFire dip for both, why wouldn't you? Again I have contacted Rocketfite, just thought I would tap the collective and see if there is some know-how out in it. :D

I did an interest experiment with these igniters. I made a ClusterFire igniter using a ML wire and a Magnalite igniter with a ML wire and the third igniter was something that I created with a Skylighter electric match dipped in FireStar igniter dip. I used three identical motors, Aerotech I218 Redline. The Redline is a little harder to ignite. I used a red LED light connected to the igniter leads and clipped to the blast deflector to tell me when power was applied to the igniter. So in the video, if you can count the frames (30 frames per second) you can tell which igniter lit the motor the fastest. The ClusterFire igniter took 61 frames to come to pressure, the Magnalite took 45 frames to come to pressure and my igniter came to pressure in 34 frame. And the igniter that I made easily fires with a AA battery. I use it for airstarts and plan to do a cluster airstart soon.
larrykoskie
[/URL][/IMG]
It seems that I could only put one video on at a time, others to follow

Larry- Was the Skylighter ematch the one with the chip (GN5040)? I was worried about using those and clogging the nozzle. Any chuffs?

Larry- Was the Skylighter ematch the one with the chip (GN5040)? I was worried about using those and clogging the nozzle. Any chuffs?

I haven't had any problem with them. I even used one on a second stage rocket air starting a K185. I was a little concerned about it because the nozzle had several holes and I didn't know if the igniter would be ejected out the right hole. But it did work. The first stage was a K1100. It was a nice flight but the sustainer was found 2 weeks later 3 miles away. When I made these igniters I started with the GN5040 wire and dipped it in their electric match dip and then dipped it FireStar igniter dip. The electric match isn't hot enough to start a motor and the 50 gauge nichrome wire doesn't generate enough heat to ignite the igniter pyrogen. So it takes two dips to make these igniters, but it takes very low current to fire them. I even used one that I had folded back on itself two times to make a large enough igniter to start my M motor on my level 3 cert. They aren't small enough for some G motors but I haven't failed to start everything larger than that.

Latest posts

Back