Madcow 6" Black Brant ii for L3?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robfire75

Reaction score
I am in the planning stages of L3 with the purchase of a kit here very soon with the goal of L3 flight at Airfest in Argonia next September. I have the rocket narrowed down to either the 5" Madcow Terminator with 75mm motor mount or the 6' Black Brant ii with the 98mm motor mount. I will probably never fly a 4" motor but that large hole does look good on the business end. I plan on either getting an M1350W DMS or breaking down and buying an 75/6400 motor with adaptors to fly 5120 or 3840 motors as well. Electronics will be Altus Metrum. I am just curious to see if anyone else has used either of these for L3 certification. I am very stoked to build a rocket again as the last high power rocket I built was in late 2005 and early 2006 with my glassed PML Miranda and prior to last August no HP flights since April of 2006. Any hints or further tips would be appreciated, YouTube has really shown me a lot of technique that I had no idea on some 15 years ago!

Being a Canadian, now living in America with my American bride, I'm very admittedly more than a little bit biased, but the BB II is my favourite rocket, so it gets my vote. It's not hard to adapt to a 75 MM motor, and always good to have the option to fly a 98 if you ever decide to do so. You did say "probably never"...
I've been to Argonia twice, in the early 1990s, while still living in Toronto. Three days, 111, 111, 113 degrees and a strong but hot wind. Tough for a Northerner to handle but I was with a great group of friends so it was all good. The beer was cold. That helped me a lot at the end of the days.

I’d build the one you find most appealing. Heck with Madcow Black Friday sales coming up, buy them both.

I am in the planning stages of L3 with the purchase of a kit here very soon with the goal of L3 flight at Airfest in Argonia next September. I have the rocket narrowed down to either the 5" Madcow Terminator with 75mm motor mount or the 6' Black Brant ii with the 98mm motor mount. I will probably never fly a 4" motor but that large hole does look good on the business end. I plan on either getting an M1350W DMS or breaking down and buying an 75/6400 motor with adaptors to fly 5120 or 3840 motors as well. Electronics will be Altus Metrum. I am just curious to see if anyone else has used either of these for L3 certification. I am very stoked to build a rocket again as the last high power rocket I built was in late 2005 and early 2006 with my glassed PML Miranda and prior to last August no HP flights since April of 2006. Any hints or further tips would be appreciated, YouTube has really shown me a lot of technique that I had no idea on some 15 years ago!

Farsidius did a great build thread of his L3 6" MC Black Brant 'Brant's Brant' a few years back here on TRF. Should come up in a search.

I have the Black Brant II. It usually flies on 3 grain 75s or 2 grain 98s. Mine has an Aeropak with 75mm adapter. Figure about 4500 feet on 3500 N-s and 6300 or so on 5000 N-s. Weight is 32 lb. prepped but without motor.

Back