Mach 3.5 Loki L Altitude Record Attempt Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread... I'm planning a flight around the L2050 and was curious-

What were the descent velocities you were getting during tumble?

If you plug your relevant numbers into that site and look at what "Total Temperature" it gives you. That is the stagnation temperature. It is the temperature of air at zero speed that is equivalent in temperature to the energy of the dynamic airflow.

Remember also that airflow velocities used to calculate total temperature over a fin leading edge need to know the "normal" (right angles) velocity of the airflow. Raked fins actually see a slower velocity of air normal to the leading edge. This is really good news as it reduces the total temperature the edge is exposed to. You can solve it with a bit of trig by resolving the vector of the freestream airflow into two vectors normal and parallel to the leading edge.

Greetings!

I've been busily working towards finishing the 4" version of my L rocket that was detailed here in the preceding thread. It'll fly at Balls on a CTI N-1560. It is similar to the 54mm version in that it used high temp Garolite fin cores with recessed carbon tip to tip, and high temp parts and adhesives used throughout. Where is differs is that I've strayed away from the fin can in favor of a full airframe. I feel like the aerodynamics are better and the nosecone doesn't take many, many man hours to make a mold for.

Anyway, here's some pic of the Av-bay, whose working name has been, prestigiously, Av-Dingus since the 54mm version. I think I am up to version 125 in Fusion for this part. There's a mag switch version as well, but I settled on Fingertech switches to simplify wiring. Notice there's no battery connectors. Batteries are charged... carefully. E-matches attach directly to the Simple Circuits and are threaded through holes in the bulkhead which are then plugged with 5-mimute epoxy. The screw heads protruding from the bottom are to attach @tfish style vinyl tube charge cannons. It's printed from SirayaTech "Build" resin which is tough, strong and tappable, but a bit of a pain to print with.

The last photo is a work-in progress photo of the airframe. It has a 2K clear coat "float" on it that is currently being wet sanded smooth to fix any imperfections in the finish. Hopefully. The fins are the same recessed tip to tip as used in the 54mm version, but no prepreg this time. This is high temp Cotronics laminating resin and UHM Spread to carbon fiber cloth. Under the fancy looking bias spread-tow carbon bidirectional is 6 layers of UHM spread tow uni-direction fabric with the fibers running span-wise. The fillets are made from Loctite EA-9394, a toughened high temp structural epoxy. Thanks to @AeroAggie for that suggestion. While they look like turds, they're actually super smooth and feather right into the adjoining surface. I had depated whether to paint them black for aesthetics, but decided I'd just live with the shame. :rolleyes:

The tube as made by @REK and incorporates high temp epoxy as well.

Alright more later. Back to making more toxic dust.

Screenshot 2023-09-03 130930.jpg
Cutaway Dingus View.jpg
IMG-3326.jpg

IMG-3328.jpg

IMG-3329.jpgIMG-3330.jpg

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
Wow @watheyak !

I've scanned your thread for the first time just a minute ago and now I need to go back and study the juicy stuff !

Congrats on the successful L-2050 flight and record !

I really love your fin layups and your AV-dingus and not to mention that your 54mm Kevlar nose cone ain't too shabby either :)

Thanks for sharing all your work, Scott -- it is ground-breaking stuff !

Speaking of nose cones ... what will you be flying on this 4-inch Balls rocket ?

And good luck with your upcoming CTI N-1560 flight at Balls !

-- kjh

Remember what happens when you build them too pretty 😂I’d say you are already towing the line, it’s such a beautiful rocket and a beautiful design I think you are forgiven if the fillets don’t appear to be perfect , so far I think it’s a masterpiece of a machine, I would be curious to know about nosecone attachments it looks like such a streamlined fit! Will it use shear pins or would they just melt? Also will the holes for the on off switches cause any known pressure problems or is this also act as a way for the altimeter to breathe?

Main Parachute Burrito. A very tightly packed Fruity Chutes 42" Iris Ultra Compact in a slightly modified Fruity deployment bag. Redundant Tinder Rocketry Makos cutting the paracord. Drogue is a 12" Rocketman Kevlar. This is just a mock up, I'm still experimenting with the setup. The Makos rule, by the way. I may have mentioned that before.

IMG-3356.jpg

IMG-3357.jpg

ahh, So that's the beauty that the 'beast of a motor' will go into. Now I see why you checked the gap with the 'normal' closure, as you will be using the tapered closure on the flight.

Looks great! I hope the flight goes well, and you find it afterwards.... there may be some mach rash....

I heard that you're changing to a N5800. Good luck with the N record.
Well, yeah. My wife talked me into it, actually. And things just came together being able to get the motor from AMW with Randy Shanyfelt's help.

I was looking forward to a nice, relaxing moon burner flight, but now it's considerably more intense.

This one on the N-5800 will have a very similar flight profile to the previous rocket on the Loki L-2050. So I take some small comfort in the fact that the materials involved can go that fast that low and still survive.

I'm curious what your final fin thickness, dimensions and stability margin are?

Beautiful build, good luck!

The final fin thickness is 3/16". The CF tip to tip is recessed into the fins similar to the L rocket earlier in the thread.

Stability is right at 2.

And thanks for the kind words, @robopup, @kjhambrick, @Neutronium95 and everyone else!
Is that stability margin sitting as it is right now? Or the minimum stability you will see on launch? Also where did you get that carbon fiber? Both the uni and absolutely beautiful bias spread tow, and did you have to sell your first born to buy it?

Is that stability margin sitting as it is right now? Or the minimum stability you will see on launch? Also where did you get that carbon fiber? Both the uni and absolutely beautiful bias spread tow, and did you have to sell your first born to buy it?
2 calibers is static sitting on the pad. The CP moves forward quite a bit as it visits Mach 3. But RASAero says it's all good, the plots look nice. So I'm as calm as I can be about the CG/CP relationship.

The spread tow and all the composites I use came from Composite Envisions. https://compositeenvisions.com/

As far as selling my first born, I'm not sure how much I paid, or even how much I have invested in this project. I derive immense enjoyment from projects like this, and I'd like to think that I've spent money responsibly on the things I enjoy. ;) (that was the most adult thing I've said in weeks. Back to the fart jokes...)

1 more question if you don't mind. Did you make that NC? And if you did did you use the same method you used on your last rocket? Any changes to the mold? I am currently in the process of doing something very similar for a 38mm NC and your thread has been so helpful! Best of luck on the launch she is truly a beauty!(sorry that was more than one question)

1 more question if you don't mind. Did you make that NC? And if you did did you use the same method you used on your last rocket? Any changes to the mold? I am currently in the process of doing something very similar for a 38mm NC and your thread has been so helpful! Best of luck on the launch she is truly a beauty!(sorry that was more than one question)
Feel free to ask any questions, I'm happy to answer.

I didn't make this nosecone. It's the high temp version of the Wildman filament wound fiberglass 5:1 VK.

If I made another nosecone like the past project, I don't think I'd change anything. I'm really happy with that method and the results. But I've now sworn off sub-minimum diameter rockets in favor of the aerodynamic benefits of a full airframe.

My next project that I am really excited about is a fully molded monocoque airframe. No tubes. No fins cut from plate. Just a three piece mold (or four, if it's a four-finned rocket). That'll be mold extravaganza...

Last edited:
Back