(looks around) I've decided the present pretty much sucks. Time to hide in vintage sci-fi movies!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a Roku streaming device recently and in playing with some streaming services I watched "Forbidden Planet". It was very interesting, nobody asked how he managed to build that elaborate house by himself on a deserted planet. The when he talked about making the robot himself nobody asked how he did that. The attitudes and mannerisms of the actors are very dated compared to these days- things like how they talk to each other and how they react towards women. Maybe all movies back then were that way. Maybe future generations will object to the tone of movies we make today.

I've talked about "It- The Terror..." on here before. I watched that movie over 60 years ago and it made a big impression on me, i.e. semi-terrorized me. I've been interested in watching it again, I've only found it on pay per view services.

I've found a lot of cheesy sci-fi movies on free streaming services and on youtube. I've watched a few that were semi-interesting but most are not worth it. I started really checking out ratings on the movies before watching them.
The treatment of women is definitely on display in IT. Notice the two female crew members only make coffee and serve meals with the exception of one autopsy.🫡

Last edited:
Anything George Pal had his hand in is worth watching, and are usually pretty good movies made somewhat humorous by the period zeitgeist. Some of my favorites!

I LOVE this movie! Have it on DVD because it is so hard to find. Amazing how a rescue flight to Mars just happens to drag along, M1 Garand's, 1911's, hand grenades, sleep bombs and a BAZOOKA??? Which, as JackC pointed out, they shoot their weapons, throw grenades and fire said Bazooka INSIDE the ship!
BWHAHAHAHAHA!
Now that is engineering.
It appears that Alien may have borrowed a bit from this B-Jewel.
"Looks like it is hiding in the duct works."

Lest we not forget Invisible Invaders! It is a hysterical romp with invisible invading aliens that possess the recently deceased and try to conquer the Earth. It stars John Agar if that is any hint...

Great list guys, keep them coming!
There was a lawsuit over that. The writer of the script is the same guy who wrote The Trouble With Tribbles for STOS. He sued 20th Century because he thought they borrowed too much from his IT script. They settled the case before trial.

I LOVE this movie! Have it on DVD because it is so hard to find. Amazing how a rescue flight to Mars just happens to drag along, M1 Garand's, 1911's, hand grenades, sleep bombs and a BAZOOKA??? Which, as JackC pointed out, they shoot their weapons, throw grenades and fire said Bazooka INSIDE the ship!
BWHAHAHAHAHA!
Now that is engineering.
It appears that Alien may have borrowed a bit from this B-Jewel.
"Looks like it is hiding in the duct works."

Lest we not forget Invisible Invaders! It is a hysterical romp with invisible invading aliens that possess the recently deceased and try to conquer the Earth. It stars John Agar if that is any hint...

Great list guys, keep them coming!
Don’t forget opening the atomic pile on the ship hoping that would kill the creature. It probably would along with EVERYONE on the ship!!! “At least we took him with us, Space Command.”🫡

Back