(looks around) I've decided the present pretty much sucks. Time to hide in vintage sci-fi movies!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shake the funk off, concentrate on spending the remaining few minutes of your life concentrating on improving things.

All of those are unknown, because they are horrible.

May I suggest The Iron Giant? Great film, covers many of the cold war topics. Directed by Brad Bird. Was underappreciated at the time of release (early 1990s) but has earned some respect since.

Forbidden Planet is a sci-fi gem starring Anne Francis. The precursor to Star Trek, it’s one of the best of the 50’s movies. The Thing from Another World, is a great movie that was probably helmed by the great Howard Hawks. He does a great job showing the camaraderie of an Air Force flight crew trying to save the lives of a science team near the North Pole against an alien that could start an invasion with its seed pods. Finally, just for fun, take a look at IT-the Terror from Beyond Space that features a crew of American astronauts who think nothing about trying to take out a deadly alien stowaway with grenades, rifles and a freaking bazooka inside their rocket ship!🫡

Forbidden Planet is a sci-fi gem starring Anne Francis. The precursor to Star Trek, it’s one of the best of the 50’s movies. The Thing from Another World, is a great movie that was probably helmed by the great Howard Hawks. He does a great job showing the camaraderie of an Air Force flight crew trying to save the lives of a science team near the North Pole against an alien that could start an invasion with its seed pods. Finally, just for fun, take a look at IT-the Terror from Beyond Space that features a crew of American astronauts who think nothing about trying to take out a deadly alien stowaway with grenades, rifles and a freaking bazooka inside their rocket ship!🫡
I concur with Forbidden Planet. The story still holds up well. One of the best Sci-Fi movies ever made.

Let's See :)
All of the orignal Godzilla movies
Them
This Island Earth
When Worlds Collide
20 Million Miles To Earth
Earth vs The Flying Saucers
Destination Moon
The Monster That Challenged The World
War of the Worlds
Invaders Fom Mars
The Day the Earth Caught on Fire
The Monolith Monsters
Fiend Without a Face
The Deadly Mantis
Kronos
It Came From Beneath The Sea
And A Bunch More 👍

I got a Roku streaming device recently and in playing with some streaming services I watched "Forbidden Planet". It was very interesting, nobody asked how he managed to build that elaborate house by himself on a deserted planet. The when he talked about making the robot himself nobody asked how he did that. The attitudes and mannerisms of the actors are very dated compared to these days- things like how they talk to each other and how they react towards women. Maybe all movies back then were that way. Maybe future generations will object to the tone of movies we make today.

I've talked about "It- The Terror..." on here before. I watched that movie over 60 years ago and it made a big impression on me, i.e. semi-terrorized me. I've been interested in watching it again, I've only found it on pay per view services.

I've found a lot of cheesy sci-fi movies on free streaming services and on youtube. I've watched a few that were semi-interesting but most are not worth it. I started really checking out ratings on the movies before watching them.

We watched Forbidden Planet last week. One of my favorite movies. We watched Them a few days later. I remember vividly watching Them for the first time. I was 8 or 9. I had a coat over my head and was watching it through a sleeve. When I was older when I heard the same sound I expected to see a giant ant come over the hill. But it was always just a car with bad power steering. When I came out to the garage earlier my wife and friends were watching The Time Machine. One of my other favorite movies is Robinson Caruso on Mars. Adam West [Batman] was in it in the beginning but killed off pretty quick. @JLPI's list has a lot of my favorites too. In the 60's Sci-Fi movies were my favorite movies to watch.

All of those are unknown, because they are horrible.

May I suggest The Iron Giant? Great film, covers many of the cold war topics. Directed by Brad Bird. Was underappreciated at the time of release (early 1990s) but has earned some respect since.
Horribleness, or suckage, is in the eye of the beholder. Robot Monster is a low budget laugh fest but I enjoy it. Invisible Invaders with John Agar, zero budget but I like it, Queen of Blood, Planet of the Vampires, I Married a Monster from Outer Space, Angry Red Planet, Man from Planet X, Robinson Caruso on Mars, Space Probe Taurus, Battle of the Satellites, Prometheus (big budget, terrible movie but the visuals are stunning).

Judge not the Suckage of another man's movies.

Horribleness, or suckage, is in the eye of the beholder. Robot Monster is a low budget laugh fest but I enjoy it. Invisible Invaders with John Agar, zero budget but I like it, Queen of Blood, Planet of the Vampires, I Married a Monster from Outer Space, Angry Red Planet, Man from Planet X, Robinson Caruso on Mars, Space Probe Taurus, Battle of the Satellites, Prometheus (big budget, terrible movie but the visuals are stunning).

Judge not the Suckage of another man's movies.

Yeah, you're right, I'm guilty of enjoying some low quality stuff that no one has anything nice to say about.

Them
This Island Earth
When Worlds Collide
Destination Moon
War of the Worlds
Invaders Fom Mars
The Monolith Monsters
Fiend Without a Face
The Deadly Mantis
Kronos
And A Bunch More 👍
I like The Deadly Mantis. Earth vs The Flying Saucers is pretty good, too. Them! is a classic!

I got a Roku streaming device recently and in playing with some streaming services I watched "Forbidden Planet". It was very interesting, nobody asked how he managed to build that elaborate house by himself on a deserted planet. The when he talked about making the robot himself nobody asked how he did that. The attitudes and mannerisms of the actors are very dated compared to these days- things like how they talk to each other and how they react towards women. Maybe all movies back then were that way. Maybe future generations will object to the tone of movies we make today.

I've talked about "It- The Terror..." on here before. I watched that movie over 60 years ago and it made a big impression on me, i.e. semi-terrorized me. I've been interested in watching it again, I've only found it on pay per view services.

I've found a lot of cheesy sci-fi movies on free streaming services and on youtube. I've watched a few that were semi-interesting but most are not worth it. I started really checking out ratings on the movies before watching them.
It! is on Amazon Prime.

In Forbidden Planet, Walter Pidgeon's character used the Krell machines to creat the robot after he gained the knowledge from the Krell Learning Machine. The robot then built the house for him. It's explained more fully in the Forbidden Planet novel. The Krell machine also took the images of the animals from his mind and created those as well. The book shows an autopsy of one of the animals showed it was filled with stuffing and couldn't possibly be alive biologically. As to the attitudes of the men toward Anne Francis' character, yes, that was due to the times the movie was made.

It! is on Amazon Prime.

In Forbidden Planet, Walter Pidgeon's character used the Krell machines to creat the robot after he gained the knowledge from the Krell Learning Machine. The robot then built the house for him. It's explained more fully in the Forbidden Planet novel. The Krell machine also took the images of the animals from his mind and created those as well. The book shows an autopsy of one of the animals showed it was filled with stuffing and couldn't possibly be alive biologically. As to the attitudes of the men toward Anne Francis' character, yes, that was due to the times the movie was made.
Interesting side note:

Dan D'Agostino, an audio electronics designer, named his company Krell after the movie. They're still around and famous for big monoblock amplifiers that deliver loads of current.

Them
This Island Earth
When Worlds Collide
Destination Moon
War of the Worlds
Invaders Fom Mars
The Monolith Monsters
Fiend Without a Face
The Deadly Mantis
Kronos
And A Bunch More 👍

Good old Sci-Fi:
Destination Moon
Forbidden Planet
THEM
Day the Earth Stood Still
The Thing (the original and the John Carpenter remake)
This Island Earth

And if you'd like to get more modern...
Planet of the Apes
2001: A Space Odyssey
Contact
Gravity
The Martian

I LOVE this movie! Have it on DVD because it is so hard to find. Amazing how a rescue flight to Mars just happens to drag along, M1 Garand's, 1911's, hand grenades, sleep bombs and a BAZOOKA??? Which, as JackC pointed out, they shoot their weapons, throw grenades and fire said Bazooka INSIDE the ship!
BWHAHAHAHAHA!
Now that is engineering.
It appears that Alien may have borrowed a bit from this B-Jewel.
"Looks like it is hiding in the duct works."

Lest we not forget Invisible Invaders! It is a hysterical romp with invisible invading aliens that possess the recently deceased and try to conquer the Earth. It stars John Agar if that is any hint...

Great list guys, keep them coming!

Hmmm, the empty post of mine above - silly site/browser wouldn't let me enter anything. Anyway, I was going to say that just this last Saturday I watched:
  • Forbidden Planet
  • This Island Earth
  • Destination Moon
  • When Worlds Collide
  • War of the Worlds
...more than eight hours of lazy goodness.

Delete your social media accounts; that'll make like incomparably better.
I've been going through this with my teenaged son. While he doesn't seem to participate in social media to the extent his peers do, mainly using my Facebook account for hobby stuff, and some Discord groups, again gaming/Halo/Nerf blaster groups, he still bemoans the state of the world. He's becoming a negative person, some of which is probably rubbing off from the wife and I. I have to frequently pep-talk him, and am working on trying to get him to realize that 99.99% of the "stuff" that is going on is way outside of his control, and that he really ought to put it aside and be more grateful for the good things he has. Its a challenge trying to help him change the way he views the world, to be sure.

It doesn't help that there isn't more media content that is more positive, less dystopian, etc.

Good old Sci-Fi:
Destination Moon
Forbidden Planet
THEM
Day the Earth Stood Still
The Thing (the original and the John Carpenter remake)
This Island Earth

And if you'd like to get more modern...
Planet of the Apes
2001: A Space Odyssey
Contact
Gravity
The Martian
the 1950s have to be the era of ufo movies.

"Looks like it's hiding in the duct works" - In 1999's Galaxy Quest, the Tim Allen / Sigourney Weaver space opera spoof, at one point Sigourney's character intones "Ducts! Why is it always the ducts?". An obvious self-deprecating tongue-in-cheek reference to Aliens. I laughed so hard. You gotta love it!
From Sigourney's interviews and appearances, it's obvious she has a great sense of humor and doesn't take herself too seriously. Forget her legendary looks, I think she'd just be a hoot to have lunch with.

"Staring Anne Francis"? Even as a supporting roll, hers is not as important as Walter Pidgeon's. Leslie Neilson is the star. And yes, a great movie and a big influence on Star Trek.
Anne Francis stars in Forbidden Planet- the lyrics are from the theme song for the Rocky Horror Picture Show

Back