Looking for plans for X-3 or X-17

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruland

Reaction score
Hi all,

I want a new challenge so I looked at X-planes for some ideas. I really like the looks of the X-3 and X-17. Each provides a different set of challenges. Of course the first is finding some plans. Does anybody have, or know where I can obtain, scale drawings or rocket plans for either of these?

Kevin
________
Roor Bongs

Last edited:
Hi all,

I want a new challenge so I looked at X-planes for some ideas. I really like the looks of the X-3 and X-17. Each provides a different set of challenges. Of course the first is finding some plans. Does anybody have, or know where I can obtain, scale drawings or rocket plans for either of these?

Kevin

X-17 is covered very well in ROTW pgs 177-179. Great history of the series along with some very nice pics. Getting the triple tube, 2nd stage transition right is a pain but not that big of a set-back.

The X-3 Stilleto can either be PMC'ed for the currently available Lindberg 1/48th scale plastic model kit into a very nice flying model on a pair of A10-3t's or the model could be used as patterns for you scratch build.
Hope this helps a little.

X3-c1_Stilleto Lindberg 543 48th(128dpi)_97.jpg

X-3 Stellito.jpg

Yes! They both help very much.

The two images of the X-17 I saw (wikipedia), I imagined building the "triangular" section from balsa. You suggest using three body tubes and paper wrap? Seems like a reasonable solution.

Is that a flying PMC of the X-3 on the right? I've never done a PMC so that would be yet another challenge. Does it use rear ejection recovery? I presume lots of nose weight is required to get stable, but what about supplemental fins?

Any idea of the X-3 could be made into glide recovery?

Thanks again.
________
No2 Vaporizer

Last edited:
Yes! They both help very much.

The two images of the X-17 I saw (wikipedia), I imagined building the "triangular" section from balsa. You suggest using three body tubes and paper wrap? Seems like a reasonable solution.

Is that a flying PMC of the X-3 on the right? I've never done a PMC so that would be yet another challenge. Does it use rear ejection recovery? I presume lots of nose weight is required to get stable, but what about supplemental fins?

Thanks again.

No problem
PMC is a lot of fun. yes the photo on the right is a flying Model taken at a Naram a few years ago, it is not mine . My converted X-3 Stilleto is/was hanging in a tree after it's maiden flight:( Mine seperated just rear of the cockpit with standard nose/Chute deployment. Dual BT-5's scabbed into BT-50 IIRC. Most of the remaining construction was per the plastic model plan. It's been a very long time since that build. I'll have to see if I still have the write-up sheet and cutouts. Many folks have converted this model, perhaps someone else has there info handy;)

Last edited:
No problem
PMC is a lot of fun. yes the photo on the right is a flying Model taken at a Naram a few years ago, it is not mine . My converted X-3 Stilleto is/was hanging in a tree after it's maiden flight:( Mine seperated just rear of the cockpit with standard nose/Chute deployment. Dual BT-5's scabbed into BT-50 IIRC. Most of the remaining construction was per the plastic model plan. It's been a very long time since that build. I'll have to see if I still have the write-up sheet and cutouts. Many folks have converted this model, perhaps someone else has there info handy;)

For those interested I found this at EMRR mod_pmc_douglas_x3_stiletto
________
HONDA BALLADE SPECIFICATIONS

Last edited:

I think you would find that to be quite a handful. It would be a really hot (FAST) glide at best, and if you built the model with much weight at all it would basically be a free-fall, not a glide. Even built with featherweight techniques (as in, a paper model, one layer thick) it would probably be pretty dicey.

The design has a lot going against it for life as a glider. Short (very short) span, small wing area in proportion to vehicle size, long fuselage typically means a bit extra fuselage weight (to hold shape), and that needle nose is likely to get damaged any time your glider lands nose first.

Of course you can try it, but if you do, you have picked one of the most difficult configurations to get to glide (at all).

The design has a lot going against it for life as a glider. Short (very short) span, small wing area in proportion to vehicle size, long fuselage typically means a bit extra fuselage weight (to hold shape), and that needle nose is likely to get damaged any time your glider lands nose first.

Looking at the model, I felt it would be difficult but didn't have the experience to articulate why. Thank you for your opinion, it really helped.

I'm going to check the local hobby shops today to find a kit. If it's there, I'll make a build thread and hope for lots of advice since I have no clue what I'm doing...

Kevin
________
Honda e series

Last edited:
I built an X17 17-years ago, 3" diameter main tube. It met its death by Aerotech Econojet in 2004. The F motor blew its forward closure during flight. Literally crashed and burned. Kind of scale like! :blush:

It's unlikely I can locate my templates for the 1:3 and 3:1 transitions. But, I will take a look once I'm back from LDRS.

-John

Back