Loc Precision T-Loc Fins in OpenRocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_kestrel_

Reaction score
My son and I are building a Loc Precision T-Loc 4" (https://locprecision.com/product/t-loc-4/) for his Junior Level 1. We are in the process of modeling the rocket in OpenRocket and have run into a problem with the t-fins. Does anybody have a method for getting this style of fin into a model? We are interested in getting decent sims to select motors and delays.

Thanks in advance for any help.

AFAIK OR doesn't support this, but I don't think it's going to make a huge difference to select delays anyway.

That is correct, currently unsupported in OR, and I also agree it won't make much of a difference in the sim. If you want to *approximate* the effects, just put similar-sized fins onto the body. Again, this is just a rough approximation, but I would expect it to be closer to accurate than if you leave them off entirely.

If you wanted to simulate the weight, you could add short fin tabs that don't extend all the way to the motor mount, but that are the same weight as the fin locking piece.

You should weigh and balance the rocket after you build it and override the simulated weight and CG anyway.

I don't know if this would work in OR, but could you make a very short fin (the thickness of the material, 1/8"), and then set the thickness of the fin to the span (an inch or two?)? Basically reversing the coordinates of height and thickness.

I don't know if this would work in OR, but could you make a very short fin (the thickness of the material, 1/8"), and then set the thickness of the fin to the span (an inch or two?)? Basically reversing the coordinates of height and thickness.
You can do it but it won't simulate correctly. Not recommended.

Thanks for all the replies. We'll use the method neil_w recommends - adding 3 more fins the same size as the fin tips. I've used OpenRocket to model rockets from A-Powered scratch builds to my currently under construction Level 2 rocket. This is the first that has unconventional fins and I was stumped. Thanks for all the tips.

If you download the rocket file for the 4” version from the LOC website, they just modeled the stabilizers as a separate set of fins, just as some of the other posts mention.

Back