List of major ( regional) launchs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here is the current list in approx. chronological order

GRITS Feb 21-south GA 950m
Weld - 2d NC Mar & Oct
Desert Heat -March 29-30 AZ
Thunderstruck-April 4-6-Indiana
Red Glare - April, Nov.
Dairy Aire- central CA mid May
Fire in the Sky - end May Wash.
NY Power- memor day
NXRS - Oregon June
Southern Thunder- Tenn. June
Rocstock SoCal mid June, Nov.
NERRF -6-19-14 - N Y

ECRM -Maryland June (normally around Father's Day) 2 day contest and sport flying, field supports up to G motors (no sparkies)

URRF -6-27 NY
SCI Power - S.C. 7/4 WE
LDRS - mid July
Hellfire- Bonneville UT -Aug
Airfest - Aug30-2- Argonia-
XPRS - Black Rock mid Sept
High Frontier- Tulsa end Sept
Freedom - S. C. - labor day
October Skies -mid Oct CA
Oktoberfest - Las Vegas mid Oct
MWP -end Oct.-Princeton IL
Distant thunder - Nov -argonia
plaster blaster- Nov. canceled?

Any others?

So here is the current list in approx. chronological order

GRITS Feb 21-south GA 950m
Weld - 2d NC Mar & Oct
Desert Heat -March 29-30 AZ
Thunderstruck-April 4-6-Indiana
KloudBurst - April - Argonia, KS (ADDED)
Red Glare - April, Nov.
Dairy Aire- central CA mid May
Fire in the Sky - end May Wash.
NY Power- memor day
NXRS - Oregon June
Southern Thunder- Tenn. June
Rocstock SoCal mid June, Nov.
NERRF -6-19-14 - N Y
URRF -6-27 NY
SCI Power - S.C. 7/4 WE
LDRS - mid July
Hellfire- Bonneville UT -Aug
AIRFest - Labor Day Weekend - Argonia, KS (CORRECTED Dates)
XPRS - Black Rock mid Sept
High Frontier- Tulsa end Sept
Freedom - S. C. - labor day
October Skies -mid Oct CA
Oktoberfest - Las Vegas mid Oct
MWP -end Oct.-Princeton IL
Distant Thunder - Nov -Argonia, KS

Any others?

Last edited:
A note about Red Glare -- dates vary from year to year based on when the Higgs Farm becomes available. It is almost always twice a year, one in spring (before crops), and one in fall or winter (after harvest). So anyone planning a vacation around it needs to check the MDRA web site frequently. It only gets updated about four or five times a year.

... and HF has a night launch. I plan on attending and flying "Red, Bright & Blue" for the first time (since the night launch at NARAM-56 was rained out.

Tulsa Rocketry Club puts on a 2 day launch every year called High Frontier. We get flyers from all our neighboring states and every year the crowds are getting bigger and bigger. There is onsite camping or hotels, motels, or B&B's in town. If you've never been check out this link and come join us. https://tulsarocketry.org/high-frontier-11/

I like that idea. I'm working up a list now!

Airfest Argonia, KS August 29th to Sept. 1st.
Octoberfest Las Vegas, NV Oct. 17th to 19th
ROCstock Lucerne, CA Nov. 8th & 9th

These are the ones we have on our calendar, I will do more research today and add them as I find them. I'm not including our TRA/PHX launches, they are small and local.

Yes your launches maybe small. .but your waiver is BIG !

Kenny

Ok, I have settled on a design and I am working on it.

It will be very similar to the examples on: https://www.easyphpcalendar.com

I am deciding on how to organize them. I am going to add all launches and not just regional. I could do them by state and region. Any ideas?

Why not make a sticky post that has a list of the launches, the "usual" time period (e.g. which weekend [Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc.], beginning, middle, end of the month, etc.), location, and the website of the host club(s) in a table?

Example:
Southern Thundermid JuneManchester, TNhttps://hararocketry.org/hara/ and https://www.mc2rocketry.com/

Then the interested flier can refer to the host's website for actual dates (which change from year to year), special restrictions, hotel/motel info, contact info, etc. Then if a club stops a launch or folds up or it has to make date changes the flier can find out.

Adding a pdf attachment with the same list might be useful also.

Last edited:
Why not make a sticky post that has a list of the launches, the "usual" time period (e.g. which weekend [Labor Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc.], beginning, middle, end of the month, etc.), location, and the website of the host club(s) in a table?

Example:
Southern Thundermid JuneManchester, TNhttps://hararocketry.org/hara/ and https://www.mc2rocketry.com/

Then the interested flier can refer to the host's website for actual dates (which change from year to year), special restrictions, hotel/motel info, contact info, etc. Then if a club stops a launch or folds up or it has to make date changes the flier can find out.

Adding a pdf attachment with the same list might be useful also.

That would work on this site. I just thought it would be nice to have an actual searchable calendar.

If you want to use a highly compatible and accepted calendar, why don't you just create a Google calendar and make it so it can be subscribed to and give everyone the link. This is what Tripoli Indiana does and they publish their flight calendar early in January every year. David Reese (or someone else) just sends the Google calendar link to all members and we subscribe to the calendar. Each and every date is automatically downloaded to Outlook, iCal, etc. and any changes are automatically updated. Details for events such as pertinent URL's, maps, etc. are just added to the original calendar record and everyone sees the details immediately.

Sure. Well at least my clients do it. It acts/looks like a window on a page. One's with more IT savvy will have to respond though as to the actual procedure.

Here's the list so far:
Code:
[u]Launch			Time			Location		Host[/u]

GRITS  			Feb 			south GA 
Weld  			Mar 			Bayboro, NC		ncrockets.org
Desert Heat 		March 	 		AZ
Thunderstruck		March/April		IN
KloudBurst		April			Argonia, KS		KLOUDbusters
Red Glare  		April, Nov.		MD
Dairy Aire 		mid May 		central CA 
Fire in the Sky		end May 		WA
NY Power 		Memorial day		?
NXRS  			June			OR
ECRM			mid June		MD
Southern Thunder 	mid June		Manchester, TN		HARA and MC2
ROCstock 		mid June		Lucerne, CA
NERRF 			June?	 		NY
URRF 			June?			NY 
SCI Power	 	7/4 W/E			SC
Hellfire	 	Aug			Bonneville, UT
Airfest 	 	Labor Day W/E 		Argonia, KS		KLOUDbusters
XPRS 			mid Sept		Black Rock
High Frontier 		end Sept		Tulsa, OK		tulsarocketry.org
Freedom  	 	Labor Day W/E		SC
Weld  			Oct			Bayboro, NC		ncrockets.org
October Skies 		mid Oct 		Fresno, CA
Oktoberfest  		mid Oct			Las Vegas, NV
MWP 			end Oct.		Princeton IL
Bunnell Blast		Nov			?
Distant thunder  	Nov 			Argonia, KS
plaster blaster 	Nov.			?
Red Glare  		Nov.			MD
ROCstock		Nov			Lucerne, CA

If you give me more specific locations (town where most people stay and state where launch is held) and host club I can add it to the list. Please try to provide a more precise timeframe if possible. I'm not going to include national launches (LDRS, Balls, NAR Sport Launch, NARAMS) on the list. That is a seperate section of the forums.
I do not research all club websites looking for launches. I do not read and search posts in this forum and repost them into the list.

PM me with the necessary information, launch name, time period ((holiday) W/E, begin month, mid month, end month, 1st W/E month, 2nd W/E month, etc.), location of launch (town, state abbreviation), host organization name or website.

Last edited:
Here's the list so far:
Code:
[U]Launch            Time            Location        Host[/U]

GRITS              Feb             south GA 
Weld              2d Mar             NC
Desert Heat         March              AZ
Thunderstruck        March/April        IN
KloudBurst        April            Argonia, KS        KLOUDbusters
Red Glare          April, Nov.        MD
Dairy Aire         mid May         central CA 
Fire in the Sky        end May         WA
NY Power         Memorial day        ?
NXRS              June            OR
ECRM            mid June        MD
Southern Thunder     mid June        Mancheseter, TN        HARA and MC2
ROCstock         mid June        Lucerne, CA
NERRF             June?             NY
URRF             June?            NY 
SCI Power         7/4 W/E            SC
Hellfire         Aug            Bonneville, UT
Airfest          Labor Day W/E         Argonia, KS        KLOUDbusters
XPRS             mid Sept        Black Rock
High Frontier         end Sept        Tulsa, OK
Freedom           Labor Day        SC
Weld              2d Oct            NC
October Skies         mid Oct         CA
Oktoberfest          mid Oct            Las Vegas, NV
MWP             end Oct.        Princeton IL
Bunnell Blast        Nov            ?
Distant thunder      Nov             Argonia, KS
plaster blaster     Nov.            ?
Red Glare          Nov.            MD
ROCstock        Nov            Lucerne, CA

If you give me more specific locations (town where most people stay and state where launch is held) and host club I can add it to the list. Please try to provide a more precise timeframe if possible. PM me.
Don't know what 2d March for WELD means. Is that the second of March or second w/e of March?
I'm not going to include national launches (LDRS, Balls, NAR Sport Launch, NARAMS) on the list. That is a seperate section of the forums.

I asked about WELD in post #21 of this thread and gave some exact dates in post #23 & 24. Got no response to the WELD question. Yesterday, Guy Smith posted up about G. Harry Stine Memorial launch in Kingman, AZ. It will be held Oct. 25th and 26th on Red Dry lake, one of the best launch sites I have ever been to. Great birthday present for me, born on Oct. 25.

Here are the dates I researched:

Airfest - Aug30-2- Argonia, KS
XPRS - Black Rock Sept 12th to 14th
High Frontier- Tulsa Sept: September 27th – 28th, High Frontier 11 – Pawhuska, OK
Freedom - S. C. - labor day Orangeburg, SC Aug 30 – Sep 1, 2014
October Skies Fresno, CA Friday October 17th, 18th, 19th (night launch on Saturday from 6:00pm or dark to 10:00pm) 2014
Oktoberfest - Las Vegas Oct. 17th to 19th
MWP -Princeton IL MWP 12 Oct. 31st to Nov. 2nd
Distant thunder -Argonia, Ks. Nov. 8th and 9th

Plaster blaster might still happen, I will update when I get more info.

Last edited:
Sorry, I never saw the question about WELD. WELD is Whitakers Experimental Launch days. This was originally SmallBalls. Held at Bayboro, NC. 16K waiver.

More info at ncrockets.org.

I can't believe there isn't a single listing for a Texas venue?

Back