List of all reloads for 29/40-120 case?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayco

Desert Rat Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I would like to find a list of all the reloads for my Aerotech hobbyline 29/40-120 casing. Looked on the Aerotech webstore page first, and they only list six reloads. Someone posted up a graph comparing the thrust curves for all the 24/40 casing reloads, I'm wondering if there isn't a similar graph for the hobbyline 29mm casing....

Yep, that new reload should be on the list. However, that motor should have an "*" noting that you need to have at least an L1 cert to fly it.

Greg

It would be nice if they came out with a WL version of the G 138.
A single bates grain, core burning load.
I doubt that it would make it into the H range though.... The ISP would need to be pretty high.

JD

The G71R reload may not be available.

There might have been issues with delays and such.

Check the listings at the various vendor sites such as Red Arrow Hobbies, Performance Hobbies, and HobbyLinc. What really matters is whether the reload is in stock not if it is currently in production.

BTW, Greg is the man when it comes to graphing thrust curves and such. I have several of his various charts stashed in my "Rocketry Documents" folder.

You can download the most recent edition of AeroTech's catalog by clicking here.

The Resources tab on AeroTech's home page contains a number of useful documents pertaining to their products. I frequently refer to the "NAR & TRA Certification Documents" section for information about specific motors. Not all of the motors and reloads that AT sells are represented in that section, though. For additional information, I refer to this enormously helpful site. Also, this section of the NAR web site contains a list of every motor and reload that is currently certified by that organization, with links to the individual certification documents. It is frequently updated and is a gold mine of motor information.

Thanks for all the input gang! MarkII, I have most of those sites bookmarked, but have never before worked my way through all the info. on the Aerotech site. I'm building a wish list of motors that will fit my casings and using Thrust curve to determine what works for several of my rockets. Next weekend is the big two day launch for the SSS which is supported by What's up Hobbies. Jack has a great selection of just about everything rocket related, and I'm sure I will run out of money before my list is even half done. :(
The casing I have now are the 24/40, 29/40-120, and three 38mm casings in 240, 360 & 480. I might need to add the 38/120 casing so I can try the G-61W and G-67R reloads but I'm wondering if the adapter plug might be better. Anybody have any advise on whether I should go with the casing or the plug? Looking at the list Jack sent me, the casing is $35 and the adapter system is $45. Some of the stuff he lists might not be in his trailer, but after seeing all the stuff he carries with him.... :eek:

It would be nice if they came out with a WL version of the G 138.
A single bates grain, core burning load.
I doubt that it would make it into the H range though.... The ISP would need to be pretty high.

JD

That's got me wondering: what if AeroTech made an "H" for the 29/40-120 case? I don't even know if it theoretically possible, as it may be near the end of the volumetric and structural limits of the case. Regardless, I wonder if more would consider an L1 knowing all they needed to do is to get the reload?

Anyway, another interesting feature about the the G138 is that is a progressive thrust curve, whereas most of the other RMS offerings are regressive thrust profiles. I've never seen the G138 in action, but I would like to burn one and find out!

BTW, Greg is the man when it comes to graphing thrust curves and such. I have several of his various charts stashed in my "Rocketry Documents" folder.

Thanks for the kind props old_dude. :blush:

I'm just building on what others have been doing, like Mark II's helpful links with NAR S&T and ThrustCurve.org (esp. John DeMar). You can DIY these graphs by going to https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=155698&postcount=13 and downloading the Excel files.

Just for you, here is a thrust curve comparison for the AeroTech "G" class motors, along with their baby "H" offering, so you can see how they stack up with each other.

Greg

MtrCompare_G138T.AT-RMS_H128W.AT-RLD_G80T.AT-SU_G64W.AT-RMS_G71R.AT-RMS_G76G.AT-RMS.jpg

MtrData_G138T.AT-RMS_H128W.AT-RLD_G80T.AT-SU_G64W.AT-RMS_G71R.AT-RMS_G76G.AT-RMS.jpg

The G-64 looks interesting, I really like longer burning motors. They still list the G-71R, but as far as I can tell that motor is not available anywhere. I don't have any casings in 29mm besides the 29/40-120, and would rather buy reloads that fit the casings I have before adding more casings to my list. Thanks for the tip on finding those charts, I'm going there next....

I find this https://www.rouse-tech.com/motorchart.htm to be a handy reference.

That's a great chart too, Will. I just printed it out to add to my rocket folder.

Last edited:
The G-64 looks interesting, I really like longer burning motors. They still list the G-71R, but as far as I can tell that motor is not available anywhere...
Note that the newer 2-grain G64 has a shorter, more regressive profile than the single grain one from the past, due to the larger surface area. Eyeballing this graph looks to show the older one. I also noticed on the NAR site that the G-71 lost its contest cert earlier this year. I wonder if that is related to the delay issues?

Note that the newer 2-grain G64 has a shorter, more regressive profile than the single grain one from the past, due to the larger surface area....

That's correct. I was using the NAR S&T G64 data, which goes back to the last certification date of 1994 (graph on the right).

Attached is the latest thrust curve graphic I have that comes from the published AeroTech assembly instructions for the G64 with a copyright of 2006 (graph on the left). I do not have the numerical data for a RASP .eng file, at least yet.

The old motor had peak thrust at just over 22 pounds, whereas the new motor tops out at nearly 25 pounds of thrust.

The G64W is just a great all around motor, in my opinion. :cool:

Greg

AeroTech.RMS.G64W.2006.08.09.jpg

AeroTech.RMS.G64W.1994.02.27.jpg

Last edited:
The G-64 looks interesting, I really like longer burning motors.

The G-64 is a great motor. I think it would be worthwhile to have that casing if this was the only motor you used it for.

And then have a 38mm casing for H and I, which is what I did.

I have a 24mm case also but I haven't used it all that much. I think my local club is in the "small flying field" situation so I'll probably start using it more.

Thrust curve estimates that the G-64 will take my Nuke to 1600 ft. and the Vagabond to around 3000 ft. Just wondering it the Vagabond can stand up to 30 g's of acceleration.....

Thrust curve estimates that the G-64 will take my Nuke to 1600 ft. and the Vagabond to around 3000 ft. Just wondering it the Vagabond can stand up to 30 g's of acceleration.....

depends on how you build it!

The casing I have now are the 24/40, 29/40-120, and three 38mm casings in 240, 360 & 480. I might need to add the 38/120 casing so I can try the G-61W and G-67R reloads but I'm wondering if the adapter plug might be better. Anybody have any advise on whether I should go with the casing or the plug? Looking at the list Jack sent me, the casing is $35 and the adapter system is $45. Some of the stuff he lists might not be in his trailer, but after seeing all the stuff he carries with him.... :eek:
Get the RAS. Not only can you use it to adapt your 240 or 360 down for 38/120 reloads, but if you buy just one more case (the 38/1080), you will have the 38mm RMS system covered.

I have flown the G 138 and it looks to be a watered down BT. By this I mean: they slowed it down with larger AP crystals.

The core is rather small on the single grain which is why it is progressive where most AT loads are regressive. Some have reported burn throughs with this load. To try make it an H they would need to make sure they don't turn them into SU casings.

I'm all in favor of bringing back SU BT 29mm H motors. I don't think they would do well, as they would be about $55-$65 for an H

JD.

That's got me wondering: what if AeroTech made an "H" for the 29/40-120 case? I don't even know if it theoretically possible, as it may be near the end of the volumetric and structural limits of the case. Regardless, I wonder if more would consider an L1 knowing all they needed to do is to get the reload?

Anyway, another interesting feature about the the G138 is that is a progressive thrust curve, whereas most of the other RMS offerings are regressive thrust profiles. I've never seen the G138 in action, but I would like to burn one and find out!

Thanks for the kind props old_dude. :blush:

I'm just building on what others have been doing, like Mark II's helpful links with NAR S&T and ThrustCurve.org (esp. John DeMar). You can DIY these graphs by going to https://www.rocketryforum.com/showpost.php?p=155698&postcount=13 and downloading the Excel files.

Just for you, here is a thrust curve comparison for the AeroTech "G" class motors, along with their baby "H" offering, so you can see how they stack up with each other.

Greg

I've flown a total of three G138T's and only had an issue where the casing blistered just below the forward closure.

Never heard about any burn throughs but that can't be good. That's why I was a bit concerned initially when it was noted that this motor doesn't use a liner.

On the other hand, the blue flame this motor produces is stunning.

Back