LiPo charger recommendations?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are looking at the Accucel 6, you might want to go for the 80w version, which is only a few bucks more. It won't make much of a difference with small altimeter batteries, but it will if you have larger batteries for a quadcopter, etc., or if you want to parallel charge multiple at once. If you need a more powerful one, the 300w Turnigy Reaktor charger has good reviews, and I actually ordered one last night to try. The only downside is it costs $65

What do you recommend for a power supply for this charger (or any of the chargers discussed here)?

I am just getting into LiPos. The battery itself is a couple dollars, but the charger + power supply is $60! WTH?

I'll have to look it up... I bought the converter with the charger.

One thing, as with many chargers--you will need to purchase cabling connectors (wiring harnesses) to match the LiPo's you use.

Hitech X4

+1 Hitec chargers, great chargers.
I use a Hitec X1 ACplus, it only does a single battery at a time but does all types of batteries currently available, LiPo, LiFe, NiCad, LiHV, Li-Ion, NiMH, and PB, all for $59.99 from my LHS (probably cheaper online but I had a Hobbytown gift card to use up).

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I also recommend the SKYRC iMAX B6 I use the 110 ac power supply.I have an ac converter in my car for field charging.

If you are looking at the Accucel 6, you might want to go for the 80w version, which is only a few bucks more.
Ditto. I first bought the 50W version, the only wattage available then, and recently the improved 80W version.

I can't recall what's in my shop right now, but I too had a B6 I bought for cheap- Chinese knock-off, didn't work out of the box, but at least the return was painless. Bought it from HobbyKing, and they at least advertised that it was a knock-off. The one I have now might be a Turnigy, looks similar, but it works well. I run it from a 2A 15V wall wart I found in my box of random electronics, with a car charger pigtail for use in the field as well (although I never have).

I just bought a LiPo (ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh) and Accucel-6 (80W) charger from Hobby King last night. They are currently available (at least in the eastern US), you just have to make sure that you select the item from the correct warehouse. It is pretty confusing because Hobby King has redundant listings for the same item--the only difference is the warehouse that it is shipping from. For example, the Accucel-6 (50W) appears to be currently out of stock in the international warehouse but in stock in the western US warehouse.

I just bought a LiPo (ZIPPY Flightmax 1000mAh) and Accucel-6 (80W) charger from Hobby King last night. They are currently available (at least in the eastern US), you just have to make sure that you select the item from the correct warehouse. It is pretty confusing because Hobby King has redundant listings for the same item--the only difference is the warehouse that it is shipping from. For example, the Accucel-6 (50W) appears to be currently out of stock in the international warehouse but in stock in the western US warehouse.

Yes and usually best to pick your closest warehouse and keep one order to one warehouse as it makes a significant difference in shipping.

I have been using this charger for 3 yrs. It has charged everything I have use from SLA motor cycle batteries we use at the pads to LIPO's, Li-ion, NiMH and NiCAD. It's a smart charger so it will let you know if there is a problem with the battery or if you select PB charge and you actually have a LiPo connected it will tell you there is a problem and will not flow a charge. Great charger!! https://www.all-battery.com/Tenergytb6ac-charger-01322.aspx

No, that is definitely not the same as the Turnigy above.

It is my understanding that all of the blue screen with four buttons below chargers at this price point are the same with different cases. Some have a built in AC power converter. Certainly all have the claim the theirs is the original and all others are counterfeit using inferior transistors.

I cannot know for sure but the claim comes from big time RC people who know their lipos better than many of us know our motors.

It is my understanding that all of the blue screen with four buttons below chargers at this price point are the same with different cases. Some have a built in AC power converter. Certainly all have the claim the theirs is the original and all others are counterfeit using inferior transistors.

I cannot know for sure but the claim comes from big time RC people who know their lipos better than many of us know our motors.

Well maybe... But why would the charger you show have heat-sinking on the side of the case. That is just an extra cost adder if it is the same design. I certainly don't think it is needed as the Turnigy unit doesn't get hot at all even when I'm charging 8 batteries in parallel.

Well maybe... But why would the charger you show have heat-sinking on the side of the case. That is just an extra cost adder if it is the same design. I certainly don't think it is needed as the Turnigy unit doesn't get hot at all even when I'm charging 8 batteries in parallel.

Well, the Turnigy I saw has a fan, so maybe on mine they thought the sink better or cheaper. Also funny enough in the link I shared it is not even the same unit in all of the pictures! I looked back a minute ago, some pictures are of a 110v AC unit while the others have the DC direct input!

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I just bought the Turningy Accucell 6 (80W/10A) charger. I assumed that I could just find a power source laying around from an old laptop, cordless phone, etc. But this thing has a female XT60 plug for connecting to the power source with a suggested voltage of 11-18V. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use? (Preferably cheap--I'm not opposed to soldering old toaster parts together.)

Like I mentioned in a previous post, I just bought the Turningy Accucell 6 (80W/10A) charger. I assumed that I could just find a power source laying around from an old laptop, cordless phone, etc. But this thing has a female XT60 plug for connecting to the power source with a suggested voltage of 11-18V. Does anyone have any suggestions for what to use? (Preferably cheap--I'm not opposed to soldering old toaster parts together.)

I got into RC cars briefly. Many people were using power supplies for their chargers from used computer servers they purchased on EBay. They make some finagling to wire correctly, but plenty of amperage.

I used this one with my old charger, and it seemed to work fine for batteries up to a 3s 4000mah battery. I just soldered on the correct connector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003TUMDWG?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the Multiplex LN-5014 for many years. At the time of purchase, I needed a charger that I could attach to my car battery when I was out in the field flying RC. As I am considering Lipo for some of my new rocket builds, it looks like my charger may be pressed back into service:

https://www.multiplex-rc.de/fileadmin/content/dateien/downloads/ch_multicharger_5014_5sp_www.pdf

store_multiplexLN5014_lg.jpg

Back