The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philip Tiberius D.

Old Fashioned 2.5oz Rye/H2O 8 drops Orange Bitters
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Prairie Twister that doesn’t seem to “cut it” (sorry for that) but seriously I can’t get it to cut a zip tie even when I pack it full of 4F powder. I’ve thought of milling one end to something of an edge as both sides are blunt. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Philip

You want GOEX BP. I just bought a Prairie Twister the other day and loaded approximately 0.1 grams for a ground test and it cut clean through supplied tie wrap.

Edit:
Did you put an O-ring on the match head too?

Last edited:
An easy improvement I've found is to remove much of the chamfer on the piston. To much chamfer and it binds. I've resorted to making my own linecutters however, as it's fairly easy to make them 1/4 the weight. May not seem like much until you're doing a two stage and realize you get all 4 linecutters in a redundant system for the weight of one.

I have a Prairie Twister that doesn’t seem to “cut it” (sorry for that) but seriously I can’t get it to cut a zip tie even when I pack it full of 4F powder. I’ve thought of milling one end to something of an edge as both sides are blunt. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Philip
One end of the piston should be concave and sharp. Sounds like yours was not manufactured correctly. Got a photo?

One end of the piston should be concave and sharp. Sounds like yours was not manufactured correctly. Got a photo?
Don’t think so or at least my prairie twister isn’t. It’s flat on both ends and have now used it successfully in flight.

Back