Like this sci fi rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So you have to put a boat tail on each end? It is hard to model rockets that don’t have a cylinder as a body. What is the shape of this rocket called? It is vaguely cylindrical but it continuously tapers from wide at the middle to narrower at both ends.

That shape deserves to be modelled more or less accurately. Fake a lathe and turn it out of a chunk of balsa, then split lengthwise and hollow it out. Or make a frame and plank it. Just make sure the fins are stiff and the pods on the ends are light.

Could also be carved and wet-sanded from foam. Recommend Highload 60 or Plazamate, as they can be sanded to a very smooth texture.

Made a Tintin rocket once, lathed solid balsa with basswood fins, about 15" long. No launch lug, instead tower-launched. I think the motor mount was 24mm? You can see it not fully inserted in the first photo. This model wasn't very "scale" in its shapes and proportions; others have done more accurate ones. As you can see from these post-flight photos, I didn't account for the rear ejection happening at speed. Regardless, a fun model indeed!
TintIn 1.JPGTintin 2.JPG

Note that the Tintin cartoon rocket is included among several fictional and proposed rockets on the cover of The Spaceship Handbook by Jack Hagerty and Jon C. Rogers. Its Tintin rocket page includes a photo of a model.

Last edited:
Mash up a V-2 kit with an Estes Protostar kit (similar pods on the fins). But actually, you can just use the V-2 and some small nose cones.

Have a look at apogee components.
How about this Kit from Klima of Germany.
Klima EXA .
I’m in the UK. And often by their kits, they are far superior to Estes in every way. I have made one of these and I have another one in a box as I enjoyed making it that much I plan to do a different colour.

They are a great kit to build with a mixture of quality vacuum formed parts and conventional tubes .

You could definitely Tin Tin this one !

Attachments

• IMG_4607.png
    IMG_4607.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Have a look at apogee components.
How about this Kit from Klima of Germany.
Klima EXA .
I’m in the UK. And often by their kits, they are far superior to Estes in every way. I have made one of these and I have another one in a box as I enjoyed making it that much I plan to do a different colour.

They are a great kit to build with a mixture of quality vacuum formed parts and conventional tubes .

You could definitely Tin Tin this one !

I have a Klima EXA build thread on here, but they've changed the kit, so some of it no longer applies.

I didn’t know about the Tintin comic until I saw this sci fi cover art and you guys explained it to me. I will have to read about what Tintin did on the moon.
The comic was written in the early 1950s but the author did quite a bit of research to incorporate a lot of the current thinking of the space flight technology at the time. He had them lie on their stomachs instead of their backs for launch to better tolerate the high Gs for example.
16-Destination-Moon-pg059-panel.jpg

Back