Lighter Recipes?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
I am looking into trying my hand at making 'lighters' for my 24 and 29mm Hobbyline AT motors.

Can we talk about that, or does that fall into the 'Restricted' area?

Lemme guess, "lighters" sounds better than "igniters"? I just thought you were from the UK at first :)

Code:
HAHA, you think if you call it a "BOOM STICK" the AHJ's wont treat it like a gun...
Ignitors, or LIghters... meet the definition of "initiating ignition" Symantics won't save you.:dark::gavel:

However, if you roll your own... they are not "commercialy regulated" :wink:
and its fun!

I am looking into trying my hand at making 'lighters' for my 24 and 29mm Hobbyline AT motors.

Can we talk about that, or does that fall into the 'Restricted' area?

Techniques for dipping, wrapping, etc are fine here. Anything about the chemistry of it has to go in the Research area.

-Kevin

Jeff- +1 on the Quickburst. As easy as it is. Otherwise you have to:
1) Buy and store components for your pyrogen. Most the time you have to buy WAY more than you'll ever use. You may as well include acetone and lacquer while you are at it.
2) Obtain your own roll of 'shooter's wire' ; 22ga double solid strand wire used in pyro displays. Heavy to ship.
3) Buy Nichrome wire for your 'bridge element'..ga. size by resistance and your launch controller capability.
4) Ruby flux for soldering the nichrome-it's a PITA (and also very fine and hard to see/work with)
5) fine wirewrapping tool
6) a resistance meter to check your work
OR-
buy the kit, mix two bottles, dip the premade wires in and dry. lacquer coat if required. Done
FYI- buy a boatload of more premade wires-you're gonna love these and it'll help use up all that excess dip.
and yes..come 4th of July-you can be ubercool and light your display remotely and safely with your newly made go fast wires! Be safe. Be sane and above all-Straight smoke and good chutes!-stay green!

Last edited:
I'll save wire for ya' - usually have about three feet excess from each ejection charge "lighter".

Chad-that's just downright friendly! I ran out of shooter wire earlier this year and just went 'commercial' in March. Guys think I'm crazy grabbing all the leftovers at the pad, but when they can't light something, it's always 'go see Dave, he makes his own." Oh wait- I just reviewed the first post and see you guys are nayboors...*sigh* oh well.....give Jeff my best!

eggplant said:
Actually, if you call them igniters they become regulated substances. Just sayin'...

Exactly...

Yea, Chad, you know the drill. (Tim gets mad when you call them ignitors)

Maybe we could call them 'starters'? That would definatly throw them off the trail.

See, the thing is, I have tons of scrap wire at my disposal, I can get nichrome wire locally, and I know a few 'professional' solderers that could give me some advice... (I work in electronics assembly)

I already have the Goex FFFF, and ping pong balls and acetone are about a mile away at my local Walmart.

Making my own is just yet another aspect of rocketry I would like to try...

Troj, can people PM me about it?

Doesn't really matter what 'we' call them, they are still regulated. Jeff your using 4F powder for rockets? Then you already fall into the regulated group. My and other agents even regulate, the igniters and BP that comes with reloads.

Tony

Back