Light sensitivity of barometric sensors

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
The MS5607 pressure sensor from Measurement Specialties is probably the most common sensor used in rocketry electronics. It is small, durable, reliable, accurate, and relatively inexpensive. I have used it in the Featherweight Ravens starting with the Raven3. It also used in Altus Metrum products, the Missleworks RRC3, and others.

1679240856079.png

But something to be aware of is that shining a bright light into it can cause large shifts in the measured pressure. Normally this isn't a problem because our av-bays tend to be closed and dark. But if you happen to have a large vent hole located right next to the sensor, like this 29mm minimum-diameter rocket does,
IMG-0710.jpg
and you fly on a sunny day, then you can get altitude readings like this:

1679242669622.png

The red line is the Serial number 2 blue Raven on the left side of the image above. The Blue line is for serial number 8, which had its baro sensor aligned with the vent hole. When the rocket was doing its drogueless tumble, sometimes the rocket attitude put the bright sunlight right on the sensor through the vent hole, and the measured pressure erroneously blipped upward by thousands of feet. The first major blip also caused a spike in the baro-based velocity estimate:
1679243781056.png

and in this flight yesterday, that triggered the main chute backup logic which deploys the main if the baro-based velocity gets too high, as would be the case with a failed apogee deployment. This backup main feature checks for the descent rate to be persistently too fast before it fires the main chute, and I'll bump up the persistence threshold to ignore a case like this, which I think is a pretty worst-case scenario for this.

This can also be fixed just by changing the rocket to keep the vent holes away from the baro sensor. For my purposes I'll keep my test rocket as it is, to make sure that the main chute backup logic improvements handle a flight like this in the future.

Nice work Adrian. All of the digital baro sensors are light sensitive, the manufacturers warn you to keep them out of direct sunlight. If they sensor is on the bottom of the board, you probably have nothing to worry about, but in-line with a vent hole is no bueno. You can also get some funky pressure readings having the sensor next to a vent hole, so there are two good reasons to avoid it.

The altitude data may not show radical spikes. This barometric graph shows subtle changes in altitude due to sunlight entering through an access port with reflected light reaching the shielded sensor. Unpainted translucent body tubes have a similar issue. I now paint the interior of my avionics bay black. Sunlight Changing Altitude.png

Sounds like the sensors might need a 3D-printed pergola. :)
Thanks for improving my vocab by one new word today, @kalsow !

I had to look it up but given my primitive vocab and materials and methods, I might have understood the word 'arbor' :)

OTOH, since I don't have a 3D printer. I will probably continue to use electricians tape to hold down my battery and to shade my MS5607 with the same wrap :) :)

Just kidding. I really did have to look up the word pergola !

-- kjh

All peizo mem presure sensors have this sensitivity. The MS sensors are even a better pinhole camera than the old ported baro units. Best practice (which I don't do BTW) is mount the baro sensor on the intended bottom of the PCB.

All peizo mem presure sensors have this sensitivity. The MS sensors are even a better pinhole camera than the old ported baro units. Best practice (which I don't do BTW) is mount the baro sensor on the intended bottom of the PCB.
So the barometer chip manufacturers place a hole in the top x2 that lets sunlight directly see the membrane.
Do you filter this out in software? I know it's an issue with older oop altimeters. Is there an issue with any currently manufactured altimeter?

So the barometer chip manufacturers place a hole in the top x2 that lets sunlight directly see the membrane.
Yes. Since the use case for the inexpensive ones we like to use are meant to be buried in a cellphones, cpap machines etc. Some datasheet explicitly mention this susceptibility, some don't. Excerpt from a NXP datasheet

"The sensor die is sensitive to light exposure. Direct light exposure through the port holecan lead to varied accuracy of pressure measurement. Avoid such exposure to the portduring normal operation." - FXPQ3115BV

Do you filter this out in software? I know it's an issue with older oop altimeters.
There are ways but the keeping the baro mems in the shade should be a required practice. Incident light is generally easy to deal with and handled well by simple filters. The case of sun photography can be handled by heuristics.

Is there an issue with any currently manufactured altimeter?
Yes. I suspect all of them. The "analog/mechanical" pressure sensor die tech has probably not changed in 20-30 years. All new tech improvements are in DSP and manufacturing cost downs.

Edit: slight tangent. I even had a gyro chip sensitive to light. On the bench the zero shifted with a flashlight shined on it. It was some ST part I cant recall now.

Last edited:
Yes. Since the use case for the inexpensive ones we like to use are meant to be buried in a cellphones, cpap machines etc. Some datasheet explicitly mention this susceptibility, some don't. Excerpt from a NXP datasheet

"The sensor die is sensitive to light exposure. Direct light exposure through the port holecan lead to varied accuracy of pressure measurement. Avoid such exposure to the portduring normal operation." - FXPQ3115BV

There are ways but the keeping the baro mems in the shade should be a required practice. Incident light is generally easy to deal with. But a geometry that takes a picture of the sun is an extremely stressful use case to defeat.

Yes. I suspect all of them. The "analog/mechanical" pressure sensor die tech has probably not changed in 20-30 years. All new tech improvements are in DSP and manufacturing cost downs.

Edit: slight tangent. I even had a gyro chip sensitive to light. On the bench the zero shifted with a flashlight shined on it. It was some ST part I cant recall now.
Thanks John, Some honest non BS answers. I can work with that......

As we're tangenting.... Have you got an STL or OBJ model of your altimeters(as many as possible) that could be used for creating an AV Bay sled? I'm going to be working on an SCAD AV Bay designer. I'll be asking other manufacturers. You can be first......

Thanks John, Some honest non BS answers. I can work with that......

As we're tangenting.... Have you got an STL or OBJ model of your altimeters(as many as possible) that could be used for creating an AV Bay sled? I'm going to be working on an SCAD AV Bay designer. I'll be asking other manufacturers. You can be first......
I do have an STL, or STP, can't remember I had a college student make one for me in exchange for an altimeter.

Mount the PCB on your AV sled so the baro sensor faces the sled. If you're building your own, e.g. Eggtimer stuff, maybe choose an alternate orientation for any large, through-hole components if that makes this easier. Make (print/paint/Sharpie) your sled black, at least on any surface that could reflect light toward the sensor. I should think that would cover it.

Or, do not align the baro sensor with a vent hole. (easiest solution) Diffuse light is not an issue. Or make a small tumbrella with masking tape over the sensor or vent hole. Lots of options.

Back