Light 'n Tight - Av Bay Build - Wild Child

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did your main charge fire?

Mark Koelsch
Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Mark, the main charge didn't fire. When I ran the vacuum test, it fired both times. So it should have worked.

So I took things apart and put a meter on the lighting device and it registered in the K ohms. Before the flight, it was about 2 ohms. So perhaps it burned but didn't fire the pyrogen. I also think that the little battery was at the end of it's limit, since it had already "flown" twice before it's actual flight.

I tried to launch it a second time, but I burned the igniter and then the MAWD started a continuous tone (low voltage indicator). At that point, I reluctantly called it a day.

Lesson learned: Fly the same battery once or at most twice, because batteries are cheaper than the rocket it is flying in

Greg

you should try a li-ion battery
They are very AltiUno-battery.jpglight (about 20grams) and reliable (I have done up to 10 flights without recharging)

Yes, batteries are cheap. One or two flights top. I also was wondering if you possibly broke a wire trying to get everything buttoned up in the av bay.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

Yes, batteries are cheap. One or two flights top. I also was wondering if you possibly broke a wire trying to get everything buttoned up in the av bay.

Sent from my iPad using Rocketry Forum

That's a possibility Mark. The frustration level was getting pretty high during the assembly, so excessive force was possible causing a wire break. I didn't pay attention to the beeps to see if there were three or two for continuity. Again, I'm so new at this that it's all part of the learning curve. Looking back on things now, just getting it back with no damage was somewhat amazing. There is no substitute for experience, and that is definitely true with flying dual deploy.

Greg

you should try a li-ion battery
They are very View attachment 177775light (about 20grams) and reliable (I have done up to 10 flights without recharging)

They look nice, but there is absolutely no volume available for a standard 9V battery in this av bay. As it is, the A10 battery barely fits.

A 9V li-po may fit, but I haven't researched them to find one that meets the voltage/amp envelope for the MAWD.

If anyone has a suggestion on one, then I'm open. Weight is not the primary consideration now. It's volume.

Greg

Latest posts

Back