Legal Ematches

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nessalco

Reaction score
MJG has introduced a line of legal ematches, complete with ATF approval for use as 1.4g (formerly class C) fireworks. No restrictions have been stated for purchasing, use, or storage.

The are stated to have electrical characteristics that will "fire exactly like the product line J-tek. Requiring less than 1 volt", though final results have not been reported. They are a bit pricey, at around $1 each, but they are manufactured by MJG which is the final word in reliability.

They are also legal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsmHgiYuT0M

They are not yet in production, but are slated to ship by July. They can be preordered through MJG, or through

https://www.pyrodirect.com/Category/Firewire_Initiators

Yes, Hazmat still applies. My guess is that these are legal because they contain no chlorates or lead compounds (excluded from 'consumer' fireworks). The composition is patented.

Kevin O

Kevin,

Do you think they found a pyro composition (no chlorates or lead compounds) that is low in friction/impact sensitivity, and that's what gives them the legal status?

Could be an alternative to Q2G2's as well.

Greg

I got that message as well. I immediately thought about how much I'm going to miss my periodic visits with the ATF. Being told that larger motors are still regulated, that ematches aren't regulated, that Estes igniters are... It's just always been such a treat.

Jim

Wow, just ordered 40 of them for less than $40 after shipping. Says they will ship June 18th, I'll be happy if I get them before the end of July. The web site stated:

Firewire Initiators can only be shipped by USPS Standard Post or FEDEX Ground Hazmat ( Hazmat Fee Additional)

I sure wasn't charged a Hazmat fee.

Wow, just ordered 40 of them for less than $40 after shipping. Says they will ship June 18th, I'll be happy if I get them before the end of July. The web site stated:

Firewire Initiators can only be shipped by USPS Standard Post or FEDEX Ground Hazmat ( Hazmat Fee Additional)

I sure wasn't charged a Hazmat fee.

You will be.

MJG and Pyrodirect are completely above-board legally, and these are Hazmat items. They will add the fees before they ship - at this point I think you're just making a commitment to buy, as their site says they are not yet charging your card, but will invoice you when ready to ship. I'm thinking about doing a group buy with some friends to spread the hazmat fees as thinly as possible. The base charge is hefty, but you can ship quite a bit under that base charge.

At a guess this will be a drop shipment deal, where Pyrodirect is simply acting as middleman, and the shipments will come from New Jersey. I hope that as these become more widely available the price will go down a bit.

Kevin

Hack: Rereading the terms, it appears that hazmat fees may not apply if you ship USPS. Holy cow!! Maybe the price you got is accurate!!

Last edited:
sounds to me like they are shipping like 29mm motors, no HAZMAT as long as you are willing to wait for the USPS ground shipping

You will be.

Hack: Rereading the terms, it appears that hazmat fees may not apply if you ship USPS. Holy cow!! Maybe the price you got is accurate!!

Last year i got several boxes of JTek USPS ground no hazmat. Jeff says he is permitted to go USPS ground under a certain weight limit.

I wonder if there's somewhere I could pick them up in person...

Contact the manufacturer to find out?

I know USPS doesn't charge HAZMAT since they don't ship actual HAZMAT, but they have very careful/strict regulations on what they can/will ship (individual bags per pound for AP type thing). Maybe if each 10 or so is in a separate zip-loc bag or something then you can buy up to 100 or something.

I would assume USPS is figuring it out as well since this sounds like the first time E-matches have been able to be shipped unregulated.

His shop isn't too far from the turnpike.
I know few people that would stop by and pick up an order on the way to MD.
You still might need a state permit though..
NJ still has a few vague laws on the books.

JD

I wonder if there's somewhere I could pick them up in person...

I LOVE pyrodirect. They were very elemental back when I was making fireworks. That's a lot of fun if you haven't tried it!

Braden

I ordered my Firewire Initiators direct from MJG. The shipping for a box of 80 is FedEx and no HazMat.

All the best, James

I ordered my Firewire Initiators direct from MJG. The shipping for a box of 80 is FedEx and no HazMat.

How did you get them to give you a quote? I can't find an easy way via their website.

The USPS does not accept hazmat, so the USPS never changes a hazmat fee. The USPS allows the mailing of certain 1.4S articles deemed non-hazardous in the mail system with written preapproval. LEGALLY shipping the same 1.4S items in commerce (via FedEx) will always incur a hazmat fee, and there is no legal way around it.

Speculation:

• Initiators are not on the 2014 explosives list so they are not regulated by BATFE......
  • They are readily differentiated from e-matches by the blue and white wiring......

Bob

Back