Launching at Lucerne Valley ROC site

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accpool

Reaction score
I know that I can launch independently with NAR insurance coverage. I don't know what the requirements would be to launch at the site legally other than following the NAR safety code. Does anyone know what procedure I would need to follow with respect to BLM and fire marshall approval etc. We would not be launching over 5000 ft AGL so should not need any waivers i think.

We would not be launching over 5000 ft AGL so should not need any waivers i think.
If you are flying a rocket that weighs more than 1500 grams or has more than 125g of propellant you need an FAA waiver regardless of altitude.

I'm not sure what other BLM or local approvals would be needed. Please don't mess with this without contacting ROC. It'd be much simpler if you just attended a ROC launch.

If you are flying a rocket that weighs more than 1500 grams or has more than 125g of propellant you need an FAA waiver regardless of altitude.

I'm not sure what other BLM or local approvals would be needed. Please don't mess with this without contacting ROC. It'd be much simpler if you just attended a ROC launch.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Rocketry Forum mobile app

I understand that there's rules that's what I'm asking for. what are the rules for BLm and such. thank you for the FAA waiver info.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Hello,

My name is Bryce and I am one of the board members for ROC. While I can't answer your question directly if you fill out the contact form on our website https://rocstock.org/contact-us/ one of the more knowledgable on the topic members will respond to you quickly.

Have you flown at ROC before? If not feel free to come by on the Second Saturday of the month and enjoy the show!

You can also ask questions on our Facebook page and our club chat system "ROC-Chat"

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

I know that I can launch independently with NAR insurance coverage. I don't know what the requirements would be to launch at the site legally other than following the NAR safety code. Does anyone know what procedure I would need to follow with respect to BLM and fire marshall approval etc. We would not be launching over 5000 ft AGL so should not need any waivers i think.

Yes you need an FAA waiver (over 3.3 lbs) or an FAA notification (under 3.3 lbs) motor impulse also comes into play with that.. but SIMPLE general answer Model rocket motor and below notification, (thats MOST "G" and below not all)

you also have to have the BLM's approval etc etc etc. they are good about letting you do it but they do want you to jump through a bunch of hoops. it can be done contact the barstow blm office (I believe)

you also have to notify the fire department. (out there thats really easy)

you will need insurance. (NAR/TRA will probably be fine)

you need to see what else is scheduled for the lakebed on the days you want to launch and you will need an exact location (gps coordinates work well)

NOW you can do all that or you can launch with ROC OR (unmentioned till now ) SCRA has a few launches out there every year. they are strictly Model rocket and below BUT very fun launches out there!

Isn't a Class 3 pyrotechnics license on site also required? In any event, Lance, your question is a troubling/scary one for a club that uses that site for their launches; you're an unknown to them and that is scary regardless of your knowledge and capabilities.

Last edited:
A pyro op with valid license and a High Power rocket launching permit is required for all commercially manufactured and legal in CA rockets that exceed the legal limit in CA for a "Model Rocket".

That limit is not the same as the rest of the USA because of an antiquated set of laws called the CA Health & Safety Code. All motors must be "Classified" by the California State Fire Marshal (CSFM). Look on a pack of Estes or Quest motors and you will see the seal of classification that classifys them as "Model Rocket Motors". Motors that exceed the definition of a Model Rocket Motor are classified as "High Power Rocket Motors" and require a valid High Power Rocket launching permit and a licensed pyro op. Unclassified motors are something you should discuss with your criminal defense attorney.

Search for other threads on the subject of the CA Health & Safety Code and CA Fire Regulations. There have been many, and it is easier to read what has already been typed and posted.

Isn't a Class 3 pyrotechnics license on site also required? In any event, Lance, your question is a troubling/scary one for a club that uses that site for their launches; you're an unknown to them and that is scary regardless of your knowledge and capabilities.

I am a member of ROC and do launch there most months.

I am a member of NAR #95771 L1

Bandman444- i never get a response from ROC. I have tried to ask questions before and nothing. I even wanted to renew my membership and no reply.

I only use CA approved motors. I would like to launch up I motors.

Forgot to say, would like to launch on different weekends when my schedule conflicts with ROC schedule. Might try Plaster Blaster when they get their issues worked out with launch site.

Looks like you will be limited to CA legal "Model Rocketry" unless you are launching with a club like ROC that has all the licensing and permit requirements no matter what you do.

I make it out to several ROC launches a year, but I also make it out to many more in Irwindale, CA at the Santa Fe Dam Recreation Area with SCRA. Launching is limited to 500grams total lift-off weight and up to CSFM "classified" G motors. It is a well organized launch program. Bring out your LPR ad MPR birds and fly with us. You are about an hour away, which is closer than going to Lucerne Valley. The club launches 2 times a month.

Jerome :)

Back