[Launch Report] Semroc/Astron Mark is wonderful!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spacepirate R

Reaction score
I got out to the field this morning with my beautiful Wife and some rockets! There was a bit of a breeze but not too bad.

First up was my resurrected Estes Viking on an A8-5. It is pretty beat up but I reenforced the fins and added a long crepe paper streamer. This was the best flight that it has done so far! The 5 second delay was a little long but the streamer worked very well. It kicked the motor but no other problems.

Next was my Semroc Micron with an A8-5. Great flight but this little rocket comes down very fast! No damage though. The narrow fins don't add much drag coming down.

I then launched my Semroc X-Kit of the Astron Mark, again with an A8-5. Wow! It seemed to fly higher than the micron (three thin fins vs four thicker ones?) and it drifted all the way across the park! I used a much longer streamer than the small one that comes with the kit but the body fluttered nicely on the way down. When I got to it I noticed that it had kicked the motor and the nose cone had a minor ding from a stone. Even without kicking the motor I think that it would fall gentler than the Micron. What a great classic rocket!

My Wife got videos from these two launches!
[video=youtube;IgHLNApOre4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgHLNApOre4[/video]

She then launched her Estes Dragonite on a B6-4. This E2X rocket loves this motor and it put in another beautiful and smooth flight!

I then launched my clone of an Estes Super Flea with a 1/4A3-3T. Years ago the Super Flea was my first rocket so this was a special launch. It was perfect! A nice altitude and great "break-a-part" fluttering recovery! Unfortunately I used elastic instead of just rubber for the shock cord and it had melted right at the base. With a light tug it came loose. I might repair it by using kevlar thread an epoxy but for now it will be a display model. A wonderful flight though!

Last was my clone of the old Estes Renegade (1271) on a D12-5. This was it's second flight and it roared up high! The breeze had picked up and it drifted to the edge of the park but with a soft and safe landing!

All in all a wonderful launch day! :D

Back