Launch Report: SARG Launch Dec 11, 2010

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

o1d_dude

'I battle gravity'
Reaction score
With all the rain out of the way and winds of 1-2 mph projected for launch day, you would think nothing could go wrong. How about some FOG?

The California Central Valley suffers from thick tule fog during the winter months and unfortunately today was apparently the first day of fog season.

At about 11:00am or so, the fog started to lift off (pun) the field and blue sky broke through. The hardy souls who were launching low and slow were finally able to bring out the big stuff and get with the program.

As the day wore on, more rocketeers and spectators showed up so even if attendance was a little below average, it was not by much.

I saw a couple of J motors go up, one a Skiddie in an old skool Polecat Aerospace Mercury 7 (?) capsule/escape tower with DD. It went way high and looked as if it was about to catch a thermal but dropped in the field about 30 yards northwest of the parked cars. There was talk of a Wildman going up on K but due to increasing drift, that never happened. A PML Black Brant went up on a small H motor for a great flight at least once. We even had three (!) Mean Machines on the field although one was still unrecovered by the end of the day. Too bad we didn't have a SuperRoc drag race.

Random occurrence of the day: A fella from LUNAR was flying with us today and blew a 29mm casing out of his rocket. About an hour later, one of our local members was walking back toward the line from a retrieval and FOUND it. The odds of that happening are apparently 100 percent. Who knew?

I brought my tube fleet and my Double Pumper Jr (my first cluster!) and flew them all. Even my High Altitude special, the CroBAR aka "Blue Thunder" which is a conventional finned bird about the size of a Big Bertha that's designed to sit on an F39. I think only the juniors flew more rockets than me today. Goes to show that it's never too late to have a happy childhood. :D

I took almost no pictures or video but QQUAKE2k shot these:

[YOUTUBE]_9mU7ZTq5D0[/YOUTUBE]

This is my E-Pod, a 12" tall tuber that flies on a D12-5 in this clip
Will be scary on the E30 for it was designed.

[YOUTUBE]QzdbB9OKjVc[/YOUTUBE]

My Estes Super Neon XL (minus the bogus "finlets")
Flies straight, don't it?

[YOUTUBE]HVwizD7rFZA[/YOUTUBE]

My Estes SNXL coming down on a way long recovery train
24" Top Flight nylon chute

[YOUTUBE]Wc8_wKbpBVc[/YOUTUBE]

The Double Pumper Drag Race! 2xD12-5 in each bird

[YOUTUBE]8lTZAQVc42c[/YOUTUBE]

QQUAKE2K's SlipStream with reverse fin plan on G53.
The fins stayed on!

All in all, a great day of rocket launches, short walks, and good times.

Looking forward to the next one.

PS. Please excuse typos, omissions, exaggerations, and misstatements of fact. It was a long day and I'm bushed.

Last edited:
Love it! :D

Jealous seeing all the dry scrub out there and parading around in pants with just shirts!..... :D

Thanks for sharing, I am jealous too, our last launch was around 34 degrees and pretty windy. Looks like you all had a good time.:D
Matt

QQUAKE2K and his nephew took a lot of pictures while we were out on the range. One of the many pictures was of my "Blue Thunder" CrowBAR.

I'm very proud of this particular bird as it was my first RockSim/OpenRocket design from scratch. It's a BT-60 body tube, E-length motor tube, papered balsa fins, and a balsa nosecone. On F39, it sims out at about 1600 feet.

Picture 1 is me attaching the clips and Picture 2 is the "Blue Thunder" boosting on a D12-5 for its initial flight. No roll whatsover as it climbs away.

Thanks for the pictures, Jim/Wes!

Last edited:
A club member posted a very nicely edited clip on YouTube featuring onboard video (looking down and looking up) as well video from the ground.

The bird in question is a PML Black Brant on an H128W. The onboard cams are the 808 Key Cams. I'm not sure of the camera used to take the video from the ground so no details on that.

Near the end of the clip, the Black Brand passes behind some low clouds/fog just before hitting the grass. That's what the early morning conditions were like. First day of fog season, remember?

[YOUTUBE]ItlgNYoy5-I[/YOUTUBE]

Well done, Skip!

Last edited:
Thanks for the great write up, Kit! Good job! Sure was a fun launch.

Back