Launch Lab Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I contacted them regarding them possibly building and marketing an upscale version. I saw on the internet where someone built a larger version scratch, calling it Bullet Bill, which is based on the Nintendo Mario Brothers character. Probably why Launch Lab named theirs Bullet Bobby, but who knows, this guy might actually be Launch Lab. The very same decal scheme is used on Bullet Bill and it looks awesome. Anyway, here’s hoping Launch Lab takes the leap and does an upscale version.

My Bullet Bobby arrived yesterday and it’s built and primered as I type. I stole some modeling clay from another kit and added it to the nosecone, now there’s .90 oz. noseweight and it’s 1.03 overstable, but that’s without a motor. I have a Quest 18mm D20 I want to put in it, which leaves it at .74 stable, which is definitely acceptable in a short rocket. It sims to just over 900 ft.

I contacted them regarding them possibly building and marketing an upscale version. I saw on the internet where someone built a larger version scratch, calling it Bullet Bill, which is based on the Nintendo Mario Brothers character. Probably why Launch Lab named theirs Bullet Bobby, but who knows, this guy might actually be Launch Lab. The very same decal scheme is used on Bullet Bill and it looks awesome. Anyway, here’s hoping Launch Lab takes the leap and does an upscale version.

My Bullet Bobby arrived yesterday and it’s built and primered as I type. I stole some modeling clay from another kit and added it to the nosecone, now there’s .90 oz. noseweight and it’s 1.03 overstable, but that’s without a motor. I have a Quest 18mm D20 I want to put in it, which leaves it at .74 stable, which is definitely acceptable in a short rocket. It sims to just over 900 ft.
Henry, please report back and let me know what happens. I have not tried the D20 in it, but you should not need to add the extra clay. .9oz seems like an awful lot. In the sim, did you add the phantom mass-less Nose Cone in the rear to help simulate proper stability margin? I have about an ounce of clay in my tester 24mm version, but those weigh a lot more than the 18mm Quests...

Curious to see if it's too overstable and does flips...

Henry, please report back and let me know what happens. I have not tried the D20 in it, but you should not need to add the extra clay. .9oz seems like an awful lot. In the sim, did you add the phantom mass-less Nose Cone in the rear to help simulate proper stability margin? I have about an ounce of clay in my tester 24mm version, but those weigh a lot more than the 18mm Quests...

Curious to see if it's too overstable and does flips...

You know, I didn’t. That’s the creation of a cone behind the rocket to accurately represent short rockets. I forgot the formula, but I do have a Rocksim of 2.6” V2. I’ll go back and review it.

When I mentioned the sim showing just over 900’ on that D20, I was wrong. It sims just over 600’. It’s the Aerotech D13 and D24 that sim over 900’.

You know, I didn’t. That’s the creation of a cone behind the rocket to accurately represent short rockets. I forgot the formula,

Base drag simulation for short fat rockets.

Create a zero mass transition with:

- Zero diameter fore end.

- Length is diameter x π.

- Aft diameter is the same as the airframe.

Remember to delete it for your flight sims.

thank you Skippy-2

I created two files last time I did it.

Should wind up with something like this. Plenty stable with a C6-5 and only .25oz clay

1617253658307.png

Back