Launch Lab Rocketry - Bullet Bobby

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Received my order today and construction has begun. I am not going to use the clay but instead use RocketPoxy thus the measurements. I want to try to stay as close to factory specifications as possible. I tried the thinning of epoxy to coat the nose cone and DO NOT recommend Isopropyl alcohol for thinning. I made the ZAP epoxy like rubber cement. I scraped it off and sanded it instead down to 400 grit.

Attachments

• E2DBEFF5-84DC-49B0-B864-2059B1F4756D.jpeg
    E2DBEFF5-84DC-49B0-B864-2059B1F4756D.jpeg
    209.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Received my order today and construction has begun. I am not going to use the clay but instead use RocketPoxy thus the measurements. I want to try to stay as close to factory specifications as possible.
Thanks for your order! Please review the instructions though. Although we supplied you with half an ounce of clay (14g), per the instructions, you only use half of it. The full 14g might make it a bit top heavy and cause arcing on B motors. I would probably use your rocketpoxy, and then add appropriate weight to get it to the NC+halfClay and try it in the field before adding more. I just had a customer whose BB was arcing on a B and he had used the whole supplied clay instead of the specified half dosage...

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for your order! Please review the instructions though. Although we supplied you with half an ounce of clay (14g), per the instructions, you only use half of it. The full 14g might make it a bit top heavy and cause arcing on B motors. I would probably use your rocketpoxy, and then add appropriate weight to get it to the NC+halfClay and try it in the field before adding more. I just had a customer whose BB was arcing on a B and he had used the whole supplied clay instead of the specified half dosage...

Good luck and keep us posted!
Wilco, I will use 7g of clay for a goal nose cone total weight of 35.991g or we’ll call 36 ish grams close enough. I plan to roughen the inside of the nose cone to help the RocketPoxy stick so the final measurements will be nose cone before sanding, after sanding, and yield 7g of RocketPoxy + replace the small amount of material removed with RocketPoxy to keep it on par with the original design characteristics.

Last edited:
I'll be starting mine soon. My plan is to epoxy a nut in the nose and use an eyebolt to attach the shock cord. I can adjust the nose weight by adding washers.

More Progress today!
  • Nose Cone sanded smooth to 400 grit for painting
    • Nose Cone starting weight 28.917g
    • .386g material removed from sanding
    • 1/2 of the clay weight 7.074g
    • Goal weight 36g; Actual weight 36.224g
  • Completed motor mount
  • Shock Cord secured
The reason for all of the epoxy is my 11 year old wanted to use epoxy; so why not if it helps get my kids into STEM.

Attachments

• 20210331_191155.jpg
    20210331_191155.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210331_191257.jpg
    20210331_191257.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
More Progress today!
  • Nose Cone sanded smooth to 400 grit for painting
    • Nose Cone starting weight 28.917g
    • .386g material removed from sanding
    • 1/2 of the clay weight 7.074g
    • Goal weight 36g; Actual weight 36.224g
  • Completed motor mount
  • Shock Cord secured
The reason for all of the epoxy is my 11 year old wanted to use epoxy; so why not if it helps get my kids into STEM.
Holy Smokes what a scale! .001 gram resolution! that's the weight (in standard earth gravity, of course) of 1 cubic mm of water! I was looking into a scale, and pal that had to cost a pretty penny...! o_O

Probably worth it though... I want one...

Holy Smokes what a scale! .001 gram resolution! that's the weight (in standard earth gravity, of course) of 1 cubic mm of water! I was looking into a scale, and pal that had to cost a pretty penny...! o_O

Measure with a micrometer
Mark with chalk
Cut with axe.

I remember reviewing some spine x-rays where the clinician was measuring angles down to a fraction of a degree........the lines were drawn with a wax crayon.

remember, precision and accuracy are not remotely the same thing. An unplugged clock is precisely accurate down to an infinite number of decimal places......twice a day!

Measure with a micrometer
Mark with chalk
Cut with axe.

I remember reviewing some spine x-rays where the clinician was measuring angles down to a fraction of a degree........the lines were drawn with a wax crayon.

remember, precision and accuracy are not remotely the same thing. An unplugged clock is precisely accurate down to an infinite number of decimal places......twice a day!
Quite true, quite true... and then how much more precise than a ±0.1 gram scale is it, and is it worth it to you?

Just when I thought I was crazy for wanting to put a Q-Jet

I use it for reloading, it just happens to be useful for rocketry also.

Attachments

• Resized_20210227_114327.jpeg
    Resized_20210227_114327.jpeg
    166.1 KB · Views: 25
RocketPoxy fillets; love them, hate to wait for them to dry. I am trying to finish up my RocketPoxy before it is no longer usable. So almost every project gets RocketPoxy these days 😁

Attachments

• 20210402_194420.jpg
    20210402_194420.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 28
RocketPoxy fillets; love them, hate to wait for them to dry. I am trying to finish up my RocketPoxy before it is no longer usable. So almost every project gets RocketPoxy these days 😁

Looks like you're off to a good start!

I use my kids science fair projects as an excuse to buy (or upgrade) my lab equipment. So you want to do a experiment with plant fertilizer? We are going to need a digital microgram scale to measure that properly.... And maybe some new 500 ml beakers while we are at it...

Back