Largest Aerotech motor?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JStitz

Reaction score
It wasn't until Rocketry got off the Compuspend and on the www that interesting info became available.
I understand Gary had many commercial contracts with ISP and later with Aerotech.
I heard he had a fire lit under him to bring the 98mm Blue Thunder loads to life for the UAV "Prowler" and just heard from Jason that he had the Super Loki contract.(Warp-9?)

What was the largest motor he made whether one-off prototype or contract?

Maybe Mark or Jason can help here as Gary only lurked at "Planet Darrell" and to my knowledge Carl Baumann doesn't come here.
(But you know how damned helpful those Arizona and Nevada guys are!;))

Last edited:
I can't remember where, but somewhere on the 'net I saw a picture of a really long 98mm Dr. Rocket case that was labeled as a 98-20kN O-something. I might be able to find that for you soon.

Last edited:
There is some pretty impressive stuff in the online ISP product portfolio, definitely a bit larger than 98MM N motors...

Thanks COrocket....those Viper3 casings are sweet!

I figured ISP was still around...I think Jason worked for them.

Bandman..I never knew the N4800-Blue Thunder had that cruciform pattern...like the first "Dual-Thrust" motor,but Blue Thunder.

viper_3_cases.jpg

Last edited:
are these the engines that people use to get their rockets out of the atmosphere and actually in space?

when I first got back into rocketry and discovered hipower, I had an Aerotech catalog I got in the mail that had some BIG motors..I mean into the "S" range. I doubt any were ever made though. I have looked, and I cant find that catalog anywhere.

Wasn't ISP the Parent company or the government contract side of AT?
To avoid lawsuit city Gary sold AT to himself by the way of RCS.
So shouldn't it be Aerotech by RCS?

Here's small pic from Aero Pack web site.

jato.gif

https://www.aeropack.net/

JD

I can't remember where, but somewhere on the 'net I saw a picture of a really long 98mm Dr. Rocket case that was labeled as a 98-20kN O-something. I might be able to find that for you soon.

That was Tony's (tfish) custom made case for experimental motors, Aerotech had nothing to do with it.

The biggest, that I'm aware of, was the N4800T

Braden

Largest AeroTech motor, or largest Gary R-created motor? (Not the same thing.) The thread title asks about one, but the first post asks about the other.

AeroTech Consumer Aerospace doesn't contract with the government. That entity is Industrial Solid Propellants (ISP).

Either one....I know Gary would do special batches for friends (I.E three 98mm K-175's for Vaughn Bros project)....N motor for TLV....Gates bros..

Back