L3 maiden test flight of a Darkstar Extreme (xl) report

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcadiaRockets

Unprofessional Rocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Regardless of the last 5% on the landing yesterday I was beyond happy with the results.
on pad croped.jpg on pad.jpgOn pad with me bright.jpg
So MANY new things, rocket maiden flight, new motor case, new motor case adapter, I had never built a 54mm motor before, new RRC3, new BlueRaven, I had never done a plugged motor before and never run two altimeters simultaneously, So many new moving parts.
So for EVERYTHING to have worked perfectly, and exactly the way I had in my minds eye all winter (except for that power line) Well it was all so great and I want to thank those who offered help and guidance.
Darkstar specs pre launch.png
you can see the power line arcing at the end
View attachment track rocket two.mp4
you can HEAR the power line arc in the RunCam 6 video at the end
View attachment on board camera two.mp4
I simmed it to 4200 feet and got just 3800, both drogue charges went off almost the same time from two different altimeters resulting in the drougeless beautiful flat spin at 60fps like it simmed at from apogee to 700 feet when both main's went off (again at same time) for a perfect deployment and decent at 14-17fps exactly like it simmed at with the Featherweight spoken telemetry coming at us the whole flight.
It was all so perfect . . . well until that power line.
View attachment iPhone reording flight trimmed.mp4MW data graph.png

I Have spent all day today crunching data and editing videos making stuff look pretty. Please take a look at the attached files if you like. Some fun stuff in there like seeing it dragged down the power line on the gps profile, and you can hear the power line arc in the video.
Google Earth tight.pngGoogle Earth wide.png
The Darkstar is already cleaned up, reset, harness fixed and ready to launch again. I have another K ready to fly for a second test and then off to Potter in June to attempt my L3

chute hang.jpgchute horz.jpgversant tight.jpgversant wide.jpg
Cheers!
Mike

Attachments

• BR Darkstar Extr_summary_04-27-2024.csv
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
  • BR low_rate_04-28-2024.csv
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • FW 2024-04-27-Log.csv
    861.5 KB · Views: 0
  • MW data.csv
    73.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Regardless of the last 5% on the landing yesterday I was beyond happy with the results.
View attachment 643219 View attachment 643221View attachment 643220
So MANY new things, rocket maiden flight, new motor case, new motor case adapter, I had never built a 54mm motor before, new RRC3, new BlueRaven, I had never done a plugged motor before and never run two altimeters simultaneously, So many new moving parts.
So for EVERYTHING to have worked perfectly, and exactly the way I had in my minds eye all winter (except for that power line) Well it was all so great and I want to thank those who offered help and guidance.
View attachment 643212
you can see the power line arcing at the end
View attachment 643227
you can HEAR the power line arc in the RunCam 6 video at the end
View attachment 643228
I simmed it to 4200 feet and got just 3800, both drogue charges went off almost the same time from two different altimeters resulting in the drougeless beautiful flat spin at 60fps like it simmed at from apogee to 700 feet when both main's went off (again at same time) for a perfect deployment and decent at 14-17fps exactly like it simmed at with the Featherweight spoken telemetry coming at us the whole flight.
It was all so perfect . . . well until that power line.
View attachment 643216View attachment 643217

I Have spent all day today crunching data and editing videos making stuff look pretty. Please take a look at the attached files if you like. Some fun stuff in there like seeing it dragged down the power line on the gps profile, and you can hear the power line arc in the video.
View attachment 643214View attachment 643215
The Darkstar is already cleaned up, reset, harness fixed and ready to launch again. I have another K ready to fly for a second test and then off to Potter in June to attempt my L3

View attachment 643210View attachment 643211View attachment 643222View attachment 643223
Cheers!
Mike
Neat stuff, memorable flight for sure!

Did the power company charge you for the removal?

Back