Kitbash frenzy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gpoehlein

Reaction score
Just like QQuake can't stop scratch building, seems I can't stop kit bashing existing Estes models into something else - and it seems like a lot of the time it is making the rocket into a tube fin version. First it was the Tube Daddy (7@BT-80 tube fins around a Big Daddy BT-300 with a 3x24mm motor mount - awesome flights on 3 E9-6 motors!). Then it was the Tube Baby - a Baby Bertha kit bashed into a short (goonyfied?) version of the Groove Tube (my new favorite spot lander). Next came the BT-60 upscaled Groove Tube kit bashed from a Mean Machine. Build thread here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=27969

Now my latest kit bash is changing an E2X Firehawk into a tube finned mini. I chopped the fins off the fin can (I decided I wanted to use the central part of the fin can with its motor lock. After cleaning up the fin can (had to carve off the bumps for attaching the launch lug - have to put a new one forward of the tube fins) and patching a small hole (when one of the fins came off, it took a bit of the fin can with it, leaving about a 1/4" x .030" hole - a bit of plastic sheet took care of that - I'll be painting the fin can any way). I cut a spare BT-20 down into six 1-1/8" tube fins (the tube was 6-3/4" long - waste-not-want-not! ;)) Once the tube fins are glued to the fin can (I'm not sure whether I'll use epoxy or CA - the tubes themselves are glued to each other with white glue), I'll paint the fin can red. I'm leaving the main body tube silver, and the nose cone red just like the Firehawk. I haven't run it through Rocsim, but since the Firehawk flies on 1/4A3-3T through A10-3T, I figure this thing will do the same. Now all I have to do is figure out what to call this one ("Firetube"? "Tubehawk"?) and what to kit bash next! :p Pics when I finish it.

A couple of pics while the paint dries. First is the kit bashed parts ready for paint. Second is painted - I used Tamiya Acrylic gloss red to paint the fin can, the launch lug (yes, I glued it to a standoff so it is clear of the inside layer of tube fin), the nose cone and the motor retainer.

firehawk1.jpg

firehawk2.jpg

And the next kit bash is:

The Astron X-Ray!

Using a Star Stryker as my starting point, since it has the same payload section (BNC-50K, 4" clear payload tube and TA2050A balsa adapter). The Star Stryker uses two pieces of BT-20 with a coupler in-between, so I replaced that with a piece of brown BT-20 cut to length (I wanted this one to use the glassine tube anyway). A set of fins cut from 1/16" balsa, a launch lug standoff cut from 1/8" balsa (the instructions call for two pieces of 1/16" glued together, but I had the 1/8" balsa so I went that way).

Having fun with these! I've wanted an X-Ray ever since high school but never built one - I'm finally getting around to it! :D

xray1.jpg

And the next kit bash is:

The Astron X-Ray!

Using a Star Stryker as my starting point, since it has the same payload section (BNC-50K, 4" clear payload tube and TA2050A balsa adapter). The Star Stryker uses two pieces of BT-20 with a coupler in-between, so I replaced that with a piece of brown BT-20 cut to length (I wanted this one to use the glassine tube anyway). A set of fins cut from 1/16" balsa, a launch lug standoff cut from 1/8" balsa (the instructions call for two pieces of 1/16" glued together, but I had the 1/8" balsa so I went that way).

Having fun with these! I've wanted an X-Ray ever since high school but never built one - I'm finally getting around to it! :D

No kidding!? I've got a Star Stryker that I got with my HL 40% off coupon. I may have to join you in this build. I had one in high school, but the first flight was the last flight as I never found the nose cone after the pinball pushed it off. Then there was also that small matter of the Volare' being in the wrong place at the wrong time......:rolleyes:

I like your color scheme, I did a scratch build with blue not red and silver for the body. But mine is a little bigger....50'' tall Bt-80 D12 beast. good LOW and SLOW! (like 200 ft)

I always LOVE that chrome for the body!

Finally got a chance ti work on the X-Ray some more today. I had already attached the fins and sealed the nose cone and transition with CA. So today I got busy and filleted the fins. Tried something new for that and I really like the way it turned out - I used Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue instead of white glue. This stuff is super thick - more like putty than white glue. I applied it like putty and then smoothed it off with my modeling tool. It dries a lot faster than white glue does, still dries clear, and doesn't seem to shrink as much as white glue. This stuff is a winner. I also trimmed down the larger shoulder of the transition (the part that goes into the clear BT-50) to about 3/8" - this is more like what was in the X-Ray. The X-Ray instructions call for putting glue tabs on the inside of the clear tube and gluing the transition to those with white glue - I used Avery Label Stock and proceeded as per the instructions. Also glued on the launch lug and standoff and filleted that as well. Finally, I installed the screw eye with a bit of 5-minute epoxy. As soon as the fillets dry, it's time to seal the fins and then paint. I'm rather excited here - I've wanted an X-Ray ever since high school (that was in the 70s) and now I'm finally finishing one! One more in the "rockets I always wanted but never got to build" collection! :D

xray2.jpg

xray3.jpg

Finally got a chance ti work on the X-Ray some more today. I had already attached the fins and sealed the nose cone and transition with CA. So today I got busy and filleted the fins. Tried something new for that and I really like the way it turned out - I used Aleene's Fast Grab Tacky Glue instead of white glue. This stuff is super thick - more like putty than white glue. I applied it like putty and then smoothed it off with my modeling tool. It dries a lot faster than white glue does, still dries clear, and doesn't seem to shrink as much as white glue. This stuff is a winner. I also trimmed down the larger shoulder of the transition (the part that goes into the clear BT-50) to about 3/8" - this is more like what was in the X-Ray. The X-Ray instructions call for putting glue tabs on the inside of the clear tube and gluing the transition to those with white glue - I used Avery Label Stock and proceeded as per the instructions. Also glued on the launch lug and standoff and filleted that as well. Finally, I installed the screw eye with a bit of 5-minute epoxy. As soon as the fillets dry, it's time to seal the fins and then paint. I'm rather excited here - I've wanted an X-Ray ever since high school (that was in the 70s) and now I'm finally finishing one! One more in the "rockets I always wanted but never got to build" collection! :D

Looks great! I love the X-Ray, have since I built one in the 70's. The last time I flew it, I had put a cockroach in the payload section, and lost the rocket. I found out later one of the boys from school found it laying in the street, and when he saw the cockroach, he ran over it with his bike. LOL

I would love to build an upscale X-Ray, but finding the clear tube for the payload section in the correct size would be difficult.

qquake2k said:
I would love to build an upscale X-Ray, but finding the clear tube for the payload section in the correct size would be difficult.

Although I haven't ordered any of them, they have clear tubes here.

The fluorescent light covers are another option. Or, McMaster Carr has BT-80 sized clear tube, talk about an upscale!

Although I haven't ordered any of them, they have clear tubes here.

The fluorescent light covers are another option. Or, McMaster Carr has BT-80 sized clear tube, talk about an upscale!

Yeah - the fluorescent light cover is just a bit larger than BT-60 - needs a wrap of tape or two. The Stormcaster nose cone is fairly close for that upscale. I started one quite a while back but I got stalled at the transition (made from cardstock and CA). I'll have to see if I can find it and finish the build.

Back