Keychain cam.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree that it's not a bad idea to order a few and accept a percentage of bad ones. I just don't like getting 50% bad. I guess at $1 each, I should have ordered 10 of them.:( Live and learn!:bangpan:

Uh, did you order from someone who combines shipping? Seem like the $1 cameras I've seen listed are priced for making money on the shipping for each individual camera. Otherwise, SURE, I'd order 10 at $1 each!

- George Gassaway

I just ordered 10 of them. They do not combine shipping. I ordered some cheap micro sd cards also from China. I am afraid that they aren't going to work well though (too slow). I am expecting a couple to be bad (of both camera and memory).

Uh, did you order from someone who combines shipping? Seem like the $1 cameras I've seen listed are priced for making money on the shipping for each individual camera. Otherwise, SURE, I'd order 10 at $1 each!

- George Gassaway

I bought it here from seller linjiechong in china. It was $1 each. Shipping for $6.47 flat rate for each. Now they are posting $1.45 each and $6.34 flat rate shipping.

Even if they are making their money on shipping, I can't imagine how they are even making any money on these. As far as I'm concerned, a total of $7.50 each is a great buy and $15 still a pretty good buy. Especially for something I plan on taping to a rocket.

Even if they are making their money on shipping, I can't imagine how they are even making any money on these. As far as I'm concerned, a total of $7.50 each is a great buy and $15 still a pretty good buy. Especially for something I plan on taping to a rocket...

It been said before, they can make money on them because they buy them by the pound or what weight unit they use. They are fall out from production, and if you don't waste any time checking them if they work, it almost all profit.

Hey george. goto walmart in the camera department they should (at least they used to) have a USB battery box for $10

its a small black box about the size of a remote control. you put 4 AA's in it and it has a USB port on it. Thats it you can charge up your cams on the field.

radioshack also has DIGIPOWER cell phone boosters for $5 on clearance if you can still find them (good for maybe 1 or 2 charges but TINY and rechargeable.

Using one card for multiple flights is USUALLY a bad idea. with you its probable ok since your doing RC glider flights for others remember you get NO VIDEO without returning an undamaged memory card. SO I download between flights if not that I use a different mem card for each flight so I always have the flights before "the one" that crashes or gets lost etc..

WHen you shop on ebay guys IGNORE the shipping. Just add the two numbers together. IS that ok with you? the reason they are sold like this is simple. ebay gouges them so they transfer the cost to shipping for which THEY DO NOT have to pay ebay fees on. thats why the price is cheap and shipping is high.

so its NOT $1.45 and $6.47 shipping. its just $7.92 each cam shipped. thats how you have to look at it IE don't get greedy :) hehe

what is dying in the cams is the charger voltage control circuitry. not the batteries. ie cheap components :)

To kill the "spin" video or vomit video as I call it on recovery you need to harness the rocket. attach a shock cord and second parachute to the tail of the rocket so it comes down on TWO parachutes. make the rear chute a little smaller than the main chute so it comes down tail down a little (you want around a 45' angle)

Like this
CIMG8664.JPG

no more spin and you get good nice video all around. Thats a 13pound rocket wet and almost 8 feet tall 5.5" tube but it works just the same on the smaller rockets. Its what I use for my D through G rocket and what I use on my B and C engine rockets (thats my L2 cert flight btw) sadly no recovery video only 3/4 boost video (the cam g/vibe locked on me with the J381 Skidmark.

you need to pack the rear chute TINY and TIGHT and ROLLED so it does not open right away. so it has time to "get away" from the main chute before opening (stops tangles)

Chris

Reason I am thinking of 8 Gig, is that I probably will not have a laptop at the field to download files to it flight-by-flight, like a lot of people do. So, I’d get a lot of individual flights onto the 8 Gig card, then download at home later.

Indeed charge-wise at the field (to re-top it off), I have tried to find some cheap way to use some kind of battery hooked up to a USB cable. I have found lots of 110 Volt AC items that can charge USB devices, but I’ve not yet found the dumb-simple battery based version of the same thing.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Here are some examples of USB Battery Boxes I found on ebay

I flew my PML Bullpuppy with a keychaincam and here is the video.
Motor G61W-S 38mm. It has a nice kick :)
Have not edited the video yet so you have to forward to 2:20min for launch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdYQ9rzO9F0

Attached a groundview snapshot too.

Rocket landed only a few meters from the rail/pad :)
I thought it would go some distance with the wind so we set it up at the fartest end. Its a paragliding(right term?) field, you can some chutes far behind us from the air.

snapshot20100828150042.jpg

Last edited:
Got my keychain cam. Bummer its bad. this thing has potential though! its easy to rip apart and the cam is on enough of a ribbon to make it so I can hide the entire cam inside the rocket and just have the CMOS sensor unit poking out the side. I am going to have fun with these for sure. Seller is replacing it for me so few more weeks and I can try again.

as for that bull puppy. WOW that was a wickedly straight flight and spot on delay selection. Very cool flight !!

Bad luck :(
I bought two just in case. I mounted them both on the rocket too if one was to shut off or somthing.
Both worked but the video i uploaded was the better of the two, more centered on rocket etc.

Great you liked it !
The Bullpup got large fin surfacearea although pretty heavy so with a rail its a perfect match. When it get up to speed it stays on path it seems :)
Its only marginally stable too, so wind does not seem to affect it so much like on overstable designs.

These small cams rock, hope you get yours soon !

Got my keychain cam. Bummer its bad. this thing has potential though! its easy to rip apart and the cam is on enough of a ribbon to make it so I can hide the entire cam inside the rocket and just have the CMOS sensor unit poking out the side. I am going to have fun with these for sure. Seller is replacing it for me so few more weeks and I can try again.

as for that bull puppy. WOW that was a wickedly straight flight and spot on delay selection. Very cool flight !!

Last edited:
That was a very straight flight.

Mine spins like crazy, but it is an AT Cheetah. If those rings aren't perfectly straight it will show up on the video for sure. I tried aligning them with lines and a straight edge but that was a straight as I could get them.

Cheetah flight

This was my second Cheetah. Lost the first one with a failed ejection charge on a Single Use motor.

I threw this one together in about an hour which could explain the spin. :eek:

"Skinny" rockets seem to spin more easily, probably not a construction issue.
My smaller rockets have a tendensy to spin.

Nice video anyway, thats some altitude ! Took forever to come down hehe.

Last edited:
Nice flight and nice video.
Can you give me more info on your mounting setup?

Also, which version of the Firestorm54 is that? Phenolic dual deploy?

I 'think' that the flashing date/time (dropped frames) is from a slow memory card. Mine is the same way. I am going to order a fast one and see if that helps it.

I probably won't launch until next month though.

Well it was my chrome firestorm and I didn't want it scratched so I put a few wraps of 2" painters tape in the middle of the payload bay then I put a zip tie around that. I then took a small zip tie and put it under the other zip tie and through the hole on the camera. After that I used some masking tape to hold it tight. It is the old dyna-wind, dual deploy. Actually the original video doesn't have the dropped frames but for some reason after I uploaded it from windows movie maker to youtube it made the video jerky. I used a 8GB 4c card so it's pretty good. That size card gave me over 40min. of video.

"Skinny" rockets seem to spin more easily, probably not a construction issue.
My smaller rockets have a tendensy to spin.

Nice video anyway, thats some altitude ! Took forever to come down hehe.

Not necessarily...Here is my stretched PML IO:

[YOUTUBE]UqyQJ7nuLAE[/YOUTUBE]

So on my first cam attempt, I managed to get a nice flight but burnt together chute.
Here's what happened to my Estes Patriot on a C6-5.
[YOUTUBE]npB-uvkoKzw[/YOUTUBE]

I just got my keychain cam in the mail today, charged it up using the included cable, and then put the micro SD card from my phone into the camera. After pressing the buttons required to take a few videos and pictures, confirmed by the LED blinking in the right fashion, I plugged it back into my computer and checked out the card. There was nothing there besides what was already on it from using it in my phone. Do you know if I need a brand new card or must format my old one before I can use it in this thing? Thanks!
Jesse

Yea, I think you need to format because it was in another device. If that doesn't work it's probably a bad camera.

that happens a lot. they are VERY cheap camera's failure rate can be as high as 50%

but they are so cheap its worth it :) always order 2 or 3 otherwise its a long 3-4 week wait for the next one from china :)

I just got my keychain cam in the mail today, charged it up using the included cable, and then put the micro SD card from my phone into the camera. After pressing the buttons required to take a few videos and pictures, confirmed by the LED blinking in the right fashion, I plugged it back into my computer and checked out the card. There was nothing there besides what was already on it from using it in my phone. Do you know if I need a brand new card or must format my old one before I can use it in this thing? Thanks!
Jesse

Good advice already given--- also check and make sure the card isn't upside down... yeah it's happened!

Later! OL JR :)

Yes buy atleast two.

You can then put both on the rocket in case one would shut down or break during flight. As a bonus there is two views to choose from after.

Time to jump on this bandwagon!

These are great.

I made a little sled out of some .040 aluminum, broken of course, and used Velcro to help it stay in place on the rockets. I made 2 small slices in my little sled to allow a hose clamp to run thru. This combined with the Velcro hold them on rather nicely.

[YOUTUBE]gAr_-A2kcUI[/YOUTUBE]

Time to jump on this bandwagon!

These are great.

I made a little sled out of some .040 aluminum, broken of course, and used Velcro to help it stay in place on the rockets. I made 2 small slices in my little sled to allow a hose clamp to run thru. This combined with the Velcro hold them on rather nicely.

[YOUTUBE]gAr_-A2kcUI[/YOUTUBE]

YES! Another Kosdon fan! I just cut my arcas up to pull the hook and make our 29-150 fit :D

Okay, last March one of my rockets decided it was a submarine and my camera has been acting funny ever since. I know that there are now several different types on the market. Does anyone have an opinion on which is best?

Okay, last March one of my rockets decided it was a submarine and my camera has been acting funny ever since. I know that there are now several different types on the market. Does anyone have an opinion on which is best?

If you go back to the start of the thread, somewhere on the first page I posted the link I bought mine from. It took less than a week to get to me, and it was in prefect condition.

-Braden

DAllen, check page 5, #137, thats where I got my "#3" camera. Order a few of them, I ordered 2, and one of them is 'questionable', it doesn't seem to hold a charge very long. Other than that, it's the best rocket accessory next to parachutes!

I've seen 'gear-cam' videos that weren't as good as these, and these are 1/4 of the price. :D

Take into consideration the Youtube video quality is terrible, very 'pixelated' (if that is a word...)

[YOUTUBE]kYK2-tAgaYY&hl[/YOUTUBE]

Finally got my keychain camera on a bird and got a movie. I wasn't sure it would work because after the flight, it wouldn't turn off. The led stayed lit. It was out by the time I got home and when I hooked it up and checked the card, things started working correctly again.

I did get this video. I edited out the long stretches of the same thing. I posted it to Photobucket so clicking on the pic will take you there to view the video. It's better video quality then YouTube.

Estes D-Region Tomahawk on a Aerotech 24/40 RMS E18W-7 at BattelPark on 11/13/2010.

Back